Worryingly lower FPS than expected in Supreme Commander.

SamODJ

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Recently bought a new rig:

Asus P5Q Pro P45
4Gb RAM
Vista Premium 64bit
ATI HD 4870
Intel q6600 @ 2.4ghz

Im getting around 25 FPS in a skirmish in Supreme Commander. Generally dips to a low of about 10. Having based my choice of system, to a degree on the reviews of this site, (See http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-hd-4870,review-31046-11.html) Any one have any idea as to why such low FPS?

My ATI drivers are up to date, as it Vista.

SamODJ

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Admitadely there are 4 AIs, on an 80x80 map. Still, early on into the skirmish I was expecting a better framerate.

SamODJ

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
*Having run the SupCom benchmark test, I average out at 36 FPS, much lower than alot of tests seem to suggest it should be.

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
RTS can be laggy when there are multiple players & growing # of units. Just update your software & os.

What you don't know is what kind of modes the games were running in in the benchmarks. I'd say they would try to "cheat" and minimize the action so as to get a highest FPS possible. In reality, the FPS is always lower than the benchmarks.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002

No, nothings wrong with your system or video card, it's your CPU were the bottleneck is. I play Supreme Commander Forged Alliance and the AI spams loads of tech 1 and 2 units. I have a E6400 @ 3.04Ghz and I played against 2 A.I opponents and after about half an hour the game slowed down as the the AI just sent countless tanks and bots to my base.

Each of those units has an A.I tree that it follows and what path is chooses is formulated by some complicated mathematical formulae, give the amount of work the CPU has to do it's no wonder your Computer buckles under the strain.

In future limit the maximum number of units each side can have.

G

If got an FPS of 10 also and im running on a q9200 2.3, anyone a solution for this problem ?

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
im not sure what my exact fps are but it never chops or lags at all on my setup @ 3.8. you guys need to bump up your clock speeds and it will all be fixed man - this is also on the biggest map with all AI's and max unit caps.

G

I think my processor is not the problem it should be run pretty okay, i gues my nvidia 8500 1024 mb with a speed of like 450 mhz dont know exaclty, will kill my supcom fa. Can anyone tells me wich kind of video card does supcom fa runs the best on ?? realy looking forward for an answer.