what's the difference?

I'm not exactly new to Windows XP, but what's the difference between Windows
XP and the Windows XP upgrade?
5 answers Last reply
More about what difference

    Scooter_X wrote:
    > I'm not exactly new to Windows XP, but what's the difference between
    > Windows XP and the Windows XP upgrade?

    The way the CD can be used thanks to a few numbers.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    For the upgrade, you can upgrade anything from 98 to Windows 2000 and/or XP Home if you purchase Pro. For a clean install, you must have a fully installable version of Win95 to Window 2000 (not a "recovery CD").

    The full version of Windows XP will install, whether you have a qualifying upgrade product or not.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Scooter_X" wrote:

    > I'm not exactly new to Windows XP, but what's the difference between Windows
    > XP and the Windows XP upgrade?
    The installed product is the same. The upgrade version requires priveiously
    installed Windows programs, while the other requires no previous versions.

    "Chuck Davis" <ChuckDavis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    | "Scooter_X" wrote:
    |
    | > I'm not exactly new to Windows XP, but what's the difference between
    Windows
    | > XP and the Windows XP upgrade?
    | The installed product is the same. The upgrade version requires
    priveiously
    | installed Windows programs, while the other requires no previous versions.

    The version to be upgraded doesn't have to be installed.

    "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJay@nospam.org> wrote:

    >The version to be upgraded doesn't have to be installed.

    That depends. If the version to be upgraded is an OEM version that
    only provides a "system recovery" CD or a separate "system recovery"
    partition on the hard drive then it *must* be installed in order to be
    upgraded.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP