Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Installing windows 7!

Last response: in Windows 7
August 22, 2010 6:18:10 PM

I recently bought windows 7 full 32 and 64 bit, but my laptops cd drive doesn't work and for some reason my external drive fails to cooperate as well. I have an external enclosure, and a desktop I can plug my laptop (the one that i'm installing windows 7 on) hard drive into.
How would I go about installing windows 7 onto the external hard drive?

Laptop - acer aspire 4520 w/ 250 gb hdd

More about : installing windows

August 22, 2010 6:35:06 PM

I've been reading up on USB installation, but it looks severely confusing to me. If I could figure it out I fear my flash drive isn't large enough with it only being 4 GB.
Can anybody give my any insight on this?
m
l

Best solution

a b D Laptop
a c 215 $ Windows 7
August 22, 2010 7:07:22 PM

You cannot install Windows to an external hard drive. If you wish to install Windows 7 from a flash drive, a 4GB flash drive is sufficient (anything smaller would not be able to hold the necessary files).
Related resources
August 23, 2010 1:10:14 AM

To me it looks like I have to purchase a download from windows 7 in order to do this? What if I already have the disks?
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 215 $ Windows 7
August 23, 2010 4:44:35 AM

The download is free. What gave you the idea you had to buy something?
m
l
August 23, 2010 5:37:24 AM

The download for the tool is free, but if I look for the ISO I have to pay for it.
m
l
August 23, 2010 6:21:25 AM

I figured I could just trasfer the files from the dvd to my flash, but now I have stumbled upon the weirdest obstacle.
Whenever I open up my DVD RW Drive (E:)  It just brings me to a list of pictures of my last vacation. The link could be sending me elsewhere?

edit: I moved the pictures somewhere else, but the drive refused to recognize I had a cd in it, I think it died.
I switched to yet another computer, and all seems to be going well right now.
m
l
August 30, 2010 2:39:37 AM

Best answer selected by falseg0d.
m
l
!