del /s *.* doesn't delete everything!

HI - I like to keep a copy of my windows folder on disk under a
different name. It's a little recovery trick when things go bad. I
boot to dos, rename the backup to be the windows folder, and then I can
usually boot windows.

So I have a batch script that deletes the backup windows directory every
week and recreates it. In WIN98SE I used deltree /y *.* and it removed
everything.

in XP I use

del /s /q /f *.*

but it leaves a lot of files and folders behind. Is there any way to
TOTALLY delete a folder?

thanks!
/j

Jeff, use the XP tool - RD /S (folder name)
OR
You can still use Deltree in XP if you copy it from Win98 into the Windows\System32 folder

Jerry

"Jeff W" <ms-newsRemoveForSpam@kwcpa.com> wrote in message news:%23kCWyK%23zEHA.3808@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> HI - I like to keep a copy of my windows folder on disk under a
> different name. It's a little recovery trick when things go bad. I
> boot to dos, rename the backup to be the windows folder, and then I can
> usually boot windows.
>
> So I have a batch script that deletes the backup windows directory every
> week and recreates it. In WIN98SE I used deltree /y *.* and it removed
> everything.
>
> in XP I use
>
> del /s /q /f *.*
>
> but it leaves a lot of files and folders behind. Is there any way to
> TOTALLY delete a folder?
>
> thanks!
> /j

A more sensible solution:
http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

Ted Zieglar

"Jeff W" <ms-newsRemoveForSpam@kwcpa.com> wrote in message
> HI - I like to keep a copy of my windows folder on disk under a
> different name. It's a little recovery trick when things go bad. I
> boot to dos, rename the backup to be the windows folder, and then I can
> usually boot windows.
>
> So I have a batch script that deletes the backup windows directory every
> week and recreates it. In WIN98SE I used deltree /y *.* and it removed
> everything.
>
> in XP I use
>
> del /s /q /f *.*
>
> but it leaves a lot of files and folders behind. Is there any way to
> TOTALLY delete a folder?
>
> thanks!
> /j

I also use the far-superior-to-ghost IMAGE FOR WINDOWS for regular
backups - thanks
/j

"Jeff W" wrote:

> I also use the far-superior-to-ghost IMAGE FOR WINDOWS for regular
> backups - thanks
> /j
>
> Ted Zieglar wrote:
>
> >A more sensible solution:
> >http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/
> >
> >Ted Zieglar
> >
> >"Jeff W" <ms-newsRemoveForSpam@kwcpa.com> wrote in message
> >> HI - I like to keep a copy of my windows folder on disk under a
> >> different name. It's a little recovery trick when things go bad. I
> >> boot to dos, rename the backup to be the windows folder, and then I can
> >> usually boot windows.
> >>
> >> So I have a batch script that deletes the backup windows directory every
> >> week and recreates it. In WIN98SE I used deltree /y *.* and it removed
> >> everything.
> >>
> >> in XP I use
> >>
> >> del /s /q /f *.*
> >>
> >> but it leaves a lot of files and folders behind. Is there any way to
> >> TOTALLY delete a folder?
> >>
> >> thanks!
> >> /j

I simply use the Windows XP Pro Back up program to place My Documents on my
other computer's 2nd hard drive. You have XP Home? Download the back up
program from our Computer Club's site at
http;//www.myscacc.org/Forms/ntbackup.msi

Chuck Davis wrote:
> ......... Download the back up
> program from our Computer Club's site at
> http;//www.myscacc.org/Forms/ntbackup.msi

Your computer club is an authorized distributor of MS software? How did you
manage that? I hear it is pretty hard to get that approval.

--

....Sky