I'm scrapping the Dell.

Doc_Holliday

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2002
I've got a P4 1.7 Dell with 256RD ram and I'm getting a new computer and canabilizing it for parts. I've found the Mobo and HD are slowing down performance considerably so I'll be ditching those.

I've got a GF4 Ti440 already in there and I'm very happy with it so I'm stealing it. I've got a nice sound card that I'm taking as well. The CD,floppy, and burner that I have should also work very well.

Note: I will not be overclocking

I've for 256mb of pc800 RD ram. Should They cost a significant amount of money per stick so I'm wondering if going DDR is worth it the upgrade cost. Perhaps I should just go with another 256mb of RD?
(In http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/20021209/index.html
It says in the beginning that people are using RD ram witht he 850E so perhaps it's a good choice?)

Anyway, with a target price of $500-550, I need a case, motherboard, Processor, a fast HD in the 20-40gb area, and a different type of ram if you feel it would be worth it for speed/compatibility's sake.

I believe that covers all the parts I'll need, but point somethig out if I am.

I was thinking about this case for instance: http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/extremecases/index.asp#layer

So what would you guys suggest? Thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Not really, 2.0GHz maybe, it's a willy.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd look around Newegg.com as they seam to have the best selection of high end parts (including cases). You could spare your 1.7, but it's probably not worth it if it's a Socket 423 instead of the later Soket 478 version, because it would put you into an older board with no good upgrade path.

Supposing it's Socket 478, you could keep it and simply get another i850 board. The i850E/Rambus combo has yet to be beat. Of course the latest PC3200 outdoes PC800, but current RDRAM boards give you the oportunity to run PC1066 as well, which is unbeatable with current chipsets.

A better solution than upgrading might be to sell your computer whole and build another.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

Doc_Holliday

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2002
"Of course the latest PC3200 outdoes PC800, but current RDRAM boards give you the oportunity to run PC1066 as well, which is unbeatable with current chipsets."

Several questions here.
1) When you say PC1066 do you mean a faster version of RD ram? I had no idea that speeds went above 3200...but then I'm hardly up on things.

2)Can you run several speeds of RD ram at once? What would be the result?

Doc_Holliday

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2002
I was thinking of Going with these parts.

1)Asus P4T533C Socket 478 Motherboard

2)Intel P4 2.4GHz

3)K-Byte 128MB 800Mhz Rambus Non-ECC RIMM (Bringing the total to 512, is this a good brand BTW?)http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=K43-1803

4) Mid-Tower Case with 350 Watt Power Supply Supports ATX Mainboards http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=C455-6049 G

5)Maxtor 40.9GB HD http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=THD-40MM1 P

Doc_Holliday

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2002
The P4 is offered at a 30 dollar difference with and without a fan. Do I need to buy it? My current one has one.
The case does come with a fan but will it be enough?

bob_dn

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Several questions here.
1) When you say PC1066 do you mean a faster version of RD ram? I had no idea that speeds went above 3200...but then I'm hardly up on things.

2)Can you run several speeds of RD ram at once? What would be the result?
1) PC 1066 is currently the fastest RDRAM. PC 3200 is DDR. RDRAM and DDR are not compatible.

2) You can run PC 800 and PC 1066 on the same board. Result: they will both run at the slower speed.

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
If you want a good case that won't break the bank, check out www.aopen.com

They have new complete metal tower cases available eg. H500A, H600 and H700.

The H500A Midi case comes with a P/S and retails at $105 Aus.

DCB_AU

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
To answer both sets of questions:
1.)Nice board
2.)Nice CPU, it's available in two bus speeds, "400" (100MHz x4) and "533" (133MHz x4). The faster bus speed gives better performance but your older RAM will slow it down a little.
3.)An example of older RAM I mentioned above
4.)Should work
5.)It's an OK drive

OK, now PC800 has 3200MB/s bandwith, the same as PC3200. But PC800 is RDRAM, and PC3200 is DDR SDRAM. The faster RDRAM is PC1066, which has 4200MB/s bandwidth and can't be matched by DDR yet.

An IDEAL solution would be that board with PC1066. Since you've already replaced most of your system, I would suggest getting the newer PC1066 and leaving your old system intact. That way, you can resell your old system and be able to recover some expenses.

One more note: PC1066 is traditional RDRAM which is needed in pairs. It has 4200MB/s for a pair. A newer version, called RIMM4200, is also available which does NOT need to be installed in pairs. The "larger" name comes from it's bandwidth. The reason it doesn't need pairs is that it's 32-bit instead of 16-bit like the normal stuff. Asus has a board named the P4T533 (notice, no -C) that's made to use it. It offers slightly better performance than traditional PC1066 due to it's shorter pathway. This newer memory type uses a different slot than the traditional stuff.