Northbridge Heatsink

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
On my Asus A7N8X mobo, there is a heatsink on my northbridge chipset. It is fairly large, I was wondering if it is possible to add a small fan on to it, and whether it would be beneficial to keep the system running cooler, more stable etc etc. I plan to overclock the system, so i assume that would heat up the chipset even more...

Y'all steady tryin to drown a shark....<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by trixta on 02/01/03 03:33 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most boards that HAVE a fan on the heatsink don't really NEED one. Anyway, I doubt you'll have a heat problem. You should check "system" temp to see if the chipset exceeds roughly 55C before deciding you need a fan.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
Would the system temp option based on chipset temperature, or where would the sensor(s) be? Would it help in the least if one attached a small fan to it?

Thanks for your reply!

Y'all steady tryin to drown a shark....

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I believe the system temp sensor is under the chipset northbridge. A fan would only help if you had a heat problem!

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
You shouldnt need NB cooling, unless you are going for Uber high FSB overclocks.

most northbridges dont run very hot, and a decent sized passive cooler is more than acceptable.

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>