How to copy system file from cd or usb hdd to C: drive whe..

November 22, 2004 2:54:02 PM

Hello Folks.
I think I got carried away removing files via Spybot S+D ...
Computer with xp pro won't boot after cleanup with spybot .. cleaned
lots of Green coloured files found by spybot.
...Now get message " windows\ ...\ system file is missing or
corrupted "
I have a copy of that file on a Ghost image disk ( the whole image
also is somewhat corrupted + can't be reloaded ] but the system file
is retrievable + now copied to a cd disk.
QUESTION: How can I copy the missing/corrupted system file from a cd
to the c: hdd if windows won't boot ??
I don't have the original XP cd.
I have the " Ultimate Boot Disk cd " via PC World site link, but I
can't figure out how to replace that file from a cd.
Any help gratefully rec'd. Please post to NG. Thanks, -JS
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 2:54:03 PM

Hey JS
I hope this helps you out.

File Version Issues
Use the COPY command to copy files either from the Windows XP CD or from
another location on the drive to the proper location for issues related to
file versioning. For example, if you are unable to start the computer because
of a mismatched file, copy the correct file from the Windows XP CD in order
to fix the problem.

COPY Command
The COPY command can be used both to copy files from disk to disk or to
create a second copy of a file on a single disk. (There are many more uses of
the COPY command, but only the basic operation is discussed here.)
Example:

C> copy c:kermit.exe a:
Copies the file 'KERMIT.EXE' from the C drive to the A drive and gives it
the same name.
C> copy a:brazil1.dat b:\south\brazil2.dat
Creates a copy of 'BRAZIL1.DAT' from drive A on drive B, putting it in the
'SOUTH' subdirectory and renaming it 'BRAZIL2.DAT'.
The key to use this command correctly is to remember that the first file
specified after the COPY command is the source file, the second is the
target:ehp1 file. The source is the file to be copied. The target will be the
location and name of the new file. If the file name and extension are omitted
after the target's drive specification, the new file will have exactly the
same name as the source file.

Now of course all this is only going to do you any good if you can boot to
the C: prompt useing that boot disk you have and if the file you need is on
that ghost disk you have. Hopefully this gets you back up and running though.

Good luck.
Tallvas

"question authority@home.org (john)" wrote:

> Hello Folks.
> I think I got carried away removing files via Spybot S+D ...
> Computer with xp pro won't boot after cleanup with spybot .. cleaned
> lots of Green coloured files found by spybot.
> ...Now get message " windows\ ...\ system file is missing or
> corrupted "
> I have a copy of that file on a Ghost image disk ( the whole image
> also is somewhat corrupted + can't be reloaded ] but the system file
> is retrievable + now copied to a cd disk.
> QUESTION: How can I copy the missing/corrupted system file from a cd
> to the c: hdd if windows won't boot ??
> I don't have the original XP cd.
> I have the " Ultimate Boot Disk cd " via PC World site link, but I
> can't figure out how to replace that file from a cd.
> Any help gratefully rec'd. Please post to NG. Thanks, -JS

November 22, 2004 2:54:03 PM

"question authority@home.org (john)" wrote:

> Hello Folks.
> I think I got carried away removing files via Spybot S+D ...
> Computer with xp pro won't boot after cleanup with spybot .. cleaned
> lots of Green coloured files found by spybot.
> ...Now get message " windows\ ...\ system file is missing or
> corrupted "
> I have a copy of that file on a Ghost image disk ( the whole image
> also is somewhat corrupted + can't be reloaded ] but the system file
> is retrievable + now copied to a cd disk.
> QUESTION: How can I copy the missing/corrupted system file from a cd
> to the c: hdd if windows won't boot ??
> I don't have the original XP cd.
> I have the " Ultimate Boot Disk cd " via PC World site link, but I
> can't figure out how to replace that file from a cd.
> Any help gratefully rec'd. Please post to NG. Thanks, -JS

Boot from your Windows CD and open Spybot,Use the recovery feature to
restore the files it removed.