Dual Motherboard question

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
About a month ago I was helping a friend at a computer liquidation sale and came across and old Dual LX Intel motherboard. I brought it home (free) and tried putting two PII 350's in it, 2356mb SDRAM, and a GF2 MX just to try it out - It wont boot, the fans will come on but no beeps, lights and after 30 mins nothing is getting warm. Now I know that your supposed to have two processors with the same sort code, but I was wondering even if they are different, will the computer boot? The two processors Im using are different (diff Steppings, one has 'E' one doesnt) but I need to know whether the board is dud or if its not working just because of the processor incompatibility. Obe other thing I noticed was that the power regulation mosfets (4 of them) were brown where their tags were soldered to the board. However I tested them with a meter and two were at 5v at the tag and the other two at 1v, so im guessing the processors are getting some voltage?

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>

rickd59

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
Just put one processor in (try both at different times), and see if it works with either processor. If not, I guess you'll know why it was free.

-Rick

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, why the hell would you want a Dual Pentium II 233 settup? Didn't you know that this is what you would get, if you got it working? LX only supports 66MHz bus speeds, the 350 is locked at 3.5x (for 3.5x100), and 3.5x66.6=233! Wow!

OK, I would try testing the board with a single CPU. But some boards require a CPU terminator in the other slot with this configuration, so it might not work even if the board is good. Since many boards didn't have this requirement, I'd give it a shot, just to see if the board powers up.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Yep ive tried both CPUs in both slots individually - all combinations, none of which work. Ive just found a matching pair of 233's on ebay for cheap, so I think ill give them ago (about $10). Yes crash I know its a dual 233, but I just wanted to test it :smile: , Ill probabably sell it if it works, it does have onboard NIC, Soundcard, and SCSI RAID. Pretty good for such an old board eh? Perhaps ill use it as a server one day.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>