Confused

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

In Windows 2000 and ME you were able to explore into your FAVORITES folder
and get thumbnails of the web sites. I can no longer do this in Windows XP.

Does anyone have a suggestion? THumbnail view is an option, but no
thumbnails ever appear.

To see Thumbnails in the left hand pane, you need to have Common Tasks
activated.

You also need to have the folder template set for Pictures or Photo Album.

You may have to click the Folders icon on the Toolbar to switch from Folders
view to show Common Tasks in the left hand pane.

[[You can display hyperlinks to common tasks in the left pane of your folder
windows. The links provide quick access to file and folder management
activities and other places on your computer, such as My Computer, Shared
Documents, and My Network Places. Windows displays these links by default,
so they may already be displayed in your folders. If they are not, you can
use Folder Options to enable this feature.]]

Start | Run | Type: control folders | OK |
General tab | Select: ? Show common tasks in folders |
Apply | OK

Show common tasks in folders
[[Specifies that hyperlinks to common folder tasks and other places on your
computer are displayed in folders. These links appear in the left pane of
the folder window.]]

View | Customize This Folder | Select Pictures or Photo Album |
Apply | OK

Or..

Right click the folder | Properties | Customize tab |
Set to Pictures or Photo Album under what kind of folder do you want? |
Apply | OK

Use this folder type as a template:
[[Allows you to select a folder template. Folder templates apply specific
features to your folder, such as specialized task links and viewing options
for working with pictures and music.]]

? Also apply this template to all subfolders
[[Specifies that the template you select for your folder is applied to all
of its subfolders as well.]]

You can view your pictures as thumbnails in any My Pictures subfolder or any
folder customized as a pictures folder.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:D7A613DD-4990-4AF4-B2A1-B7A95F0C2AE9@microsoft.com,
Confused <Confused@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> In Windows 2000 and ME you were able to explore into your FAVORITES
> folder and get thumbnails of the web sites. I can no longer do this
> in Windows XP.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion? THumbnail view is an option, but no
> thumbnails ever appear.

Confused

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

No. This is not solving what the problem. In W2K, there were different
options on the Folder Options window, GENERAL tab.

The four options were: Active Desktop, Web View, Browse Folder, Click Items
as follows

Under the Web View, there were two options - When you chose "Enable Web
contents in Folders" you see the thumbnail of ALL your favorites when
selecting Thumbnail view for that folder. Worked like a charm. Does not
appear to be anywhere logical that I can find in XP. THe "Enable web
contents" option was the key. Disabling it in 2K kills the thumbnails for
that OS too.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> To see Thumbnails in the left hand pane, you need to have Common Tasks
> activated.
>
> You also need to have the folder template set for Pictures or Photo Album.
>
> You may have to click the Folders icon on the Toolbar to switch from Folders
> view to show Common Tasks in the left hand pane.
>
> [[You can display hyperlinks to common tasks in the left pane of your folder
> windows. The links provide quick access to file and folder management
> activities and other places on your computer, such as My Computer, Shared
> Documents, and My Network Places. Windows displays these links by default,
> so they may already be displayed in your folders. If they are not, you can
> use Folder Options to enable this feature.]]
>
> Start | Run | Type: control folders | OK |
> General tab | Select: Â? Show common tasks in folders |
> Apply | OK
>
> Show common tasks in folders
> [[Specifies that hyperlinks to common folder tasks and other places on your
> computer are displayed in folders. These links appear in the left pane of
> the folder window.]]
>
> View | Customize This Folder | Select Pictures or Photo Album |
> Apply | OK
>
> Or..
>
> Right click the folder | Properties | Customize tab |
> Set to Pictures or Photo Album under what kind of folder do you want? |
> Apply | OK
>
> Use this folder type as a template:
> [[Allows you to select a folder template. Folder templates apply specific
> features to your folder, such as specialized task links and viewing options
> for working with pictures and music.]]
>
> Â? Also apply this template to all subfolders
> [[Specifies that the template you select for your folder is applied to all
> of its subfolders as well.]]
>
> You can view your pictures as thumbnails in any My Pictures subfolder or any
> folder customized as a pictures folder.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:D7A613DD-4990-4AF4-B2A1-B7A95F0C2AE9@microsoft.com,
> Confused <Confused@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > In Windows 2000 and ME you were able to explore into your FAVORITES
> > folder and get thumbnails of the web sites. I can no longer do this
> > in Windows XP.
> >
> > Does anyone have a suggestion? THumbnail view is an option, but no
> > thumbnails ever appear.

Wesley is writing about Windows XP, and correctly so. If you want to know
why XP is not like 2K, you're in the wrong place.
--
Ted Zieglar

"Confused" <Confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > for working with pictures and music.]]
> >
> > ? Also apply this template to all subfolders
> > [[Specifies that the template you select for your folder is applied to
all
> > of its subfolders as well.]]
> >
> > You can view your pictures as thumbnails in any My Pictures subfolder or
any
> > folder customized as a pictures folder.
> >
> > --
> > Hope this helps. Let us know.
> > Wes
> >
> > In news:D7A613DD-4990-4AF4-B2A1-B7A95F0C2AE9@microsoft.com,
> > Confused <Confused@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > > In Windows 2000 and ME you were able to explore into your FAVORITES
> > > folder and get thumbnails of the web sites. I can no longer do this
> > > in Windows XP.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have a suggestion? THumbnail view is an option, but no

Confused

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Any suggestions there I should go next? Other then calling Mr. Bill

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > View | Customize This Folder | Select Pictures or Photo Album |
> > > Apply | OK
> > >
> > > Or..
> > >
> > > Right click the folder | Properties | Customize tab |
> > > Set to Pictures or Photo Album under what kind of folder do you want? |
> > > Apply | OK
> > >
> > > Use this folder type as a template:
> > > [[Allows you to select a folder template. Folder templates apply
> specific
> > > features to your folder, such as specialized task links and viewing
> options
> > > for working with pictures and music.]]
> > >
> > > Â? Also apply this template to all subfolders
> > > [[Specifies that the template you select for your folder is applied to
> all
> > > of its subfolders as well.]]
> > >
> > > You can view your pictures as thumbnails in any My Pictures subfolder or

Web View & Enable Web content in Folders in XP is Common Tasks.

See my first post.

Web View Bar Is Not Visible in a Folder Window
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291102

[[The Web View bar (with Tasks, Other Places, and Details sections) may not
be visible in a folder window, even though the Enable Web Content In Folders
option is selected under Folder Options. ]]

That part of the KB Article is incorrect for Windows XP. The Web View bar
is called Tasks pane. Enable Web Content In Folders Options is Show common
tasks in folders.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:1D048C52-D28D-4D4C-955F-8749728F7E0E@microsoft.com,
> [...]
>> specific features to your folder, such as specialized task links and
>> viewing options for working with pictures and music.]]
>>
>> Â? Also apply this template to all subfolders
>> [[Specifies that the template you select for your folder is applied
>> to all of its subfolders as well.]]
>>
>> You can view your pictures as thumbnails in any My Pictures
>> subfolder or any folder customized as a pictures folder.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:D7A613DD-4990-4AF4-B2A1-B7A95F0C2AE9@microsoft.com,
>> Confused <Confused@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> In Windows 2000 and ME you were able to explore into your FAVORITES
>>> folder and get thumbnails of the web sites. I can no longer do this
>>> in Windows XP.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a suggestion? THumbnail view is an option, but no

Obviously MS rethought their stupid decision to download all your favourites whenever you viewed the folder.

http://www.uscricket.com