From time to time, something called iPod Service shows up in my Task
Mgr. Checking further revealed a folder under Prog Files by the same
name that includes an .exe file called iPod Service.

I have never knowingly installed Apple's iPod-whatever, so why do I have
it, what does it do, and how do I get rid of it (it's not listed as a
"remove software" program).

Ever installed QuickTime, or listened to or watched a presentation that used
QuickTime? Apple stuffed this onto your computer. Do you see QuickTime in
Add or Remove Programs? Otherwise, you'll have to ask Apple for help (good
luck) or an Apple newsgroup.
--
Ted Zieglar