XP and 98 network

dorkus_malorkus

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2002
First of all let me say thanks to everyone who posts on these boards. After reading many posts and posting a couple of times, I built my first computer last weekend and it went extremely well. I love it!

Anyway, I am using Win XP on my new machine and 98 on the old one. I was going to try to set up a simple (at least I thought it was going to be simple) crossover network between the 2 so I could transfer files. I had one nic in each computer that was originally configured for cable modem and ran the network setup wizard in XP and then the floppy the wizard created on the 98 machine. I enabled file and print share and enabled sharing of individual drives on each machine. Nothing happened on the 98 machine then I figured out I need to be logged on with a valid password on 98 to get it to work. Now I can see each machine on the mshome network only on that machine but I cannot access the other machine, respectively. So I checked the IP addresses the XP was configured by the wizard to ip 192.168.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 and the 98 was configured to obtain automatically. That wasn't working so I changed it (98 machine) to ip 192.168.0.2 subnet 255.255.255.0. I also tried installing a 2nd nic on my xp machine since the first would show as disconnected when you removed the cable modem cable. I left the 1st nic connected to the internet and hooked the second to the 98 computer. I also experimented with netbui but obviously that hasn't worked either. Each computer appears to be on it's own network of the same name (mshome). I tried to ping the ip's listed above and got a time out. This is my first time with anything resembling a network. I read up on a few sites and can't think of what I am doing wrong. Anyone have any suggestions?

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Man, after my last post on the 15th, you didn't even reply. [sad] But, that's okay. I'm glad to hear that it went well. w00t! What components (and PSU) did you end up getting? :smile:

That's all I have to say, because I don't know much about networking. I just got BBIagent to keep my DSL line connected without intervention, and a switch connected to that for friends or other computers that might pop up in the future. Sorry I can't help you out, tho...

Bryan

<font color=red><Signature></font color=red>
<b><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A></b>
My personal website, chock full of tips and other computer stuff. No ads, banners, or catches. It's currently based on Windows XP, but Windows 2000 stuff to come.
<b><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/staff/bryan_villarin.html" target="_new"><font color=green>Villarin's Velocity Virus Machine</font color=green></A></b> - How's that???
<font color=red></ Signature></font color=red>

dorkus_malorkus

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2002
Sorry about not responding I have had a MAD 2 weeks. Final Specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2100+
Abit KX7-333
512 Mushkin PC2700 DDR SDRAM
Gainward GeForce 4TI 4200 64mb
Hercules Game Theater XP
Western Digital "Special Edition" 80Gb 8Mb cache
Chieftec DX-01WD Server Case
Enermax EG465P-VE(FM) 431 W PSU
Lite On 16X DVD Rom
Lite On 40X12X48 CDRW
Linksys NIC
Teac Floppy
Microsoft Internet KB
Microsoft Intellimouse

I also got a copy of XP home, as you can tell from the previous post. I love this case!! So roomy and I really like the drive rails. Want to remove a drive? Just squeeze the clips and pull (after detaching cables in rear, of course). I will probably replace the case fans with some stealth fans or something. I keep it on a corner computer desk next to me and they are pretty noticable. But for now I like the sound. Sounds kind of powerful. Anyway, all that shipped from newegg was ~$1200. They ROCK!! Arrived very quickly.

The links you had on your site came in handy when it came time to build. Had to make a couple of quick consults. All in all, the process went fairly smoothly. Had a couple wires and cables backward but easily figured out. I left the computer on for about 3 days straight and not a single hiccup. This motherboard was a dream to setup. Out of the box it is ready to go for the most part. All I had to do was specify which processor I was using. That was basically it. No jumpers to configure. Will probably tweak the heck out of the bios in the future if I can just get my programs transferred from my old computer to this one. I don't want to do it by hand because my wife and I have a palm and pocket pc and we use outlook and we have upgraded to XP from 98. I am going to try PC Relocator, but I need a connection to do the transfer with. Don't mean to just babble on about my new computer. I could go on talking about it for hours if I wanted to, though. I really do like it. Hope your vacation went well (saw it on your site). Also, any suggestions about orig. post are still welcome!! Thanks.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Dang, that's a nice system! That should hold you over for...6 months??? :lol: (j/k)

I'm glad those things helped you out. I had that one article from THG, but that was it. Plus, I was an idiot about the case and power supply. You should be glad that you posted here, because I was a dork...I jumped in and learned the hard way. :eek:

Again, I'm sorry to not have an answer about your network question. But, make sure that if you do BIOS tweaking, back your current known-good BIOS to a floppy. Also, with everything working, get a image of your Windows partition using either Drive Image or Norton Ghost. Better now, because it might save you later. :wink: If I'm just wasting your bandwidth, I'm really sorry. I just thought I'd say that, and I hope you're not upset.

Bryan

P.S. Thanks for asking about my vacation. It was really nice there in Hawai'i, that's for sure. Nice weather, cool breeze, and everything was beautiful.

<font color=red><Signature></font color=red>
<b><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A></b>
My personal website, chock full of tips and other computer stuff. No ads, banners, or catches. It's currently based on Windows XP, but Windows 2000 stuff to come.
<b><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/staff/bryan_villarin.html" target="_new"><font color=green>Villarin's Velocity Virus Machine</font color=green></A></b> - How's that name???
<font color=red></ Signature></font color=red>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
OK, to keep with the slogan "KISS" let's back up a sec here. What I would do would be to remove the 2nd NIC from the XP machine, and configure each remaining one like you had it before. Sort of like this:

XP: IP address 192.168.0.2
Netmask 255.255.255.0

98: IP address 192.168.0.3
Netmask 255.255.255.0

You shouldn't have to enter a default gateway, but if you want to you can make it the same as the IP address on each machine, i.e. the default gateway for XP would be 192.168.0.2 and the default gateway for the 98 box would be 192.168.0.3

Now first try to ping yourself (DOS prompt, ping command) so on XP type ping 192.168.0.2 and on 98 type ping 192.168.0.3

If both of those work, try pinging the other guy. So on XP: ping 192.168.0.3 and on 98: ping 192.168.0.2

If both of those fail, I would suspect a faulty crossover cable. BTW, do you have link lights on both NIC's when you plug in the crossover cable?

One other thing, make sure the firewall is disabled on the XP box. It sounds like it already is, but you never know.

Thats all for now, let us know what happens.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

dorkus_malorkus

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2002
Well, I officially gave up today. :( I have read a number of fixes on MANY websites including on microsoft's support pages. I went back to square one and uninstalled the nics and reinstalled only one on each computer. There are some other things I could try like reinstalling TCP/IP on the 98 machine and/or maybe reinstalling windows, but for now I am pretty fed up with it. I have spent over a week and a half on this and I can't do it anymore right now. I set up a printer port direct connect that is working so if I can get the transfer software to find this it should work, albeit alot slower.

I was able to ping both computers from the 98 box but not the XP machine. I had read that zonealarm was usually the problem when this occured. I do have that software installed on both computers but I had it configured to pass through and I even shut the software down when I tried the connection. I am pretty annoyed I could not fix this but I am beginning to suspect maybe some software problems on the 98 box. I wasn't able to do one of the fixes suggested by microsoft. I originally had 95 and upgraded to 98se and have not done a clean re-install since we got the machine 5 yrs ago. May be something screwy in the works over all that time. Who knows? Thanks for your suggestions!