Sign in with
Your question

crysis slow on AMD 6000+

Last response: in Video Games
September 2, 2008 8:42:26 PM

i build my pc few month ago. i have AMD x2 6000+ 3.0 Ghz. 4870 video card, A-Data 2x1gb ram ddr2 [5-5-5-18], Antec 650W modular PSU. Biostar TA770A2+ Motherboard, SoundBlaster, midtower case with 2 120mm fans. 640 gb Sata II, 250 gb Sata II. Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit

so.. question is: why i can't run crysis on very high? only on medium. i mean ican run it but sometimes it is so slow.. almost like stopping. i hate game when it's not going smoothly. i turned off any AA only trying to go on very high. i run all my other games on very high even with AA all on. i have 1440x900 19" monitor.

thanks

More about : crysis slow amd 6000

September 2, 2008 8:52:13 PM

Even the GTX 280 can't handle Crysis on Very High at any decent resolution; I think you expected too much out of your 4870, when no card configuration is capable of running Crysis perfectly smooth on Very High with antialiasing, including 3 GTX 280s.
September 2, 2008 9:43:35 PM

I think you're totally wrong ^

Try running it in 32bit not 64bit, make sure you have the latest drivers, turn AA and AF off (maybe driver issues).

What rez do you run it in btw?
Related resources
September 2, 2008 9:49:25 PM

jonisginger said:
I think you're totally wrong ^

Try running it in 32bit not 64bit, make sure you have the latest drivers, turn AA and AF off (maybe driver issues).

What rez do you run it in btw?

well i am running 1440x900 and i turned off all AA and AF. same.. even on medium sometimes it freezes.. not too bad but it does. i played on my old 1950xt on xp pro medium perfectly even high was better than 4870
September 2, 2008 9:50:21 PM

Yeah well something is wrong. Turn X64 off, have you got all the latest drivers?
Anonymous
September 2, 2008 10:17:46 PM

I think i can help i have a q6600 with 8800 ultra, running vista 32 bit and 64 bit as well as xp.

wehn running in XP i can run the game in vey high easier because it isnt using direct x 10, which i belive jonisginger must be from the spec of his PC, where as a new build u will be on vista

i find on vista very high on "shader" and "shadows" brings my system down to a crawl of around 15 FPS

i find very lil diffenrce between 64 bit and 32 bit as i have both versions of vista

if i were u id set all to very high and decrease shaders to medium shadows to high and water to medium i find this works well, and just forget AA and AF as no system can run thoses in max happily,

you may find you want slightly lower settings than that as a q6600 OC to 3 Ghz will handle the physics a lil better so u may wana lower the physics options too.
September 2, 2008 10:20:12 PM

Oh yeah DX10 will kill it. Forgot about that.
September 2, 2008 10:20:45 PM

Aaaaaaaaand Physics won't be a problem since I have a 6000+ and they run fine in the physics tests
September 2, 2008 10:33:39 PM

Quote:
I think i can help i have a q6600 with 8800 ultra, running vista 32 bit and 64 bit as well as xp.

wehn running in XP i can run the game in vey high easier because it isnt using direct x 10, which i belive jonisginger must be from the spec of his PC, where as a new build u will be on vista

i find on vista very high on "shader" and "shadows" brings my system down to a crawl of around 15 FPS

i find very lil diffenrce between 64 bit and 32 bit as i have both versions of vista

if i were u id set all to very high and decrease shaders to medium shadows to high and water to medium i find this works well, and just forget AA and AF as no system can run thoses in max happily,

you may find you want slightly lower settings than that as a q6600 OC to 3 Ghz will handle the physics a lil better so u may wana lower the physics options too.

ok let me try to do that ;]
September 2, 2008 11:01:13 PM

Quote:

strange but it helped a little bit ;]
Anonymous
September 2, 2008 11:06:39 PM

just try a few lil changes like tha ur GPU may find some things eaiser to do than otheres best is to load Fraps put all settings to low and adjust one part at a time if u notice a major drop in FPS keep that setting lower.
September 2, 2008 11:29:46 PM

Quote:
just try a few lil changes like tha ur GPU may find some things eaiser to do than otheres best is to load Fraps put all settings to low and adjust one part at a time if u notice a major drop in FPS keep that setting lower.

coool.. thx for info
September 3, 2008 9:27:44 PM

If you wanted to play Crysis on max, you shouldn't have gotten a 4870. I have a 4870 and love it, but it is a well known fact that ATI doesn't do as good in Crysis as Nvidia does. I play with everything on high, in xp, and with AA at 2x. Also, i have a Phenom 9850 (i know, not the best choice...).
September 4, 2008 12:31:14 PM

MegaGamer3 said:
If you wanted to play Crysis on max, you shouldn't have gotten a 4870. I have a 4870 and love it, but it is a well known fact that ATI doesn't do as good in Crysis as Nvidia does. I play with everything on high, in xp, and with AA at 2x. Also, i have a Phenom 9850 (i know, not the best choice...).

"NVIDIA: The Way It's Meant to be Played™."
September 4, 2008 8:53:46 PM

nvidia cards are optimized for this game. crysis runs smooth on my system at 1680x1050,dx10, all very high, 16aa avg 30-35fps. crysis runs much better on 64bit and if u really want to play the game on higher settings, get 4gig of ram and i would recommend another 4870 in cf.
September 4, 2008 9:03:49 PM

Heya,

Just to second what was already said:

Crysis doesn't play smoothly for MOST people.

This game made everyone mad when it came out because everyone who picked it up with average graphics GPUs pretty much found out they can't play it on any of the nice settings. It's like when Oblivion came out. Folk just had to suffer with lower resolutions and lower settings all around. Crysis is not even that great of a game. It's just such a system strainer that it gets hearlded as "the" game to be able to run. I would not base any of your PC's specs on Crysis.

Anyhow, as others have stated, nVidia cards do run Crysis better. And Crysis is one of those games that absolutely takes great gains from SLI and Crossfire, ie, 2x GPU's working together. You can see simple benchmarks of high resolution dual GPU gaming on very high and AA enabled and it performs at playable frame rates. Even SLI 8800gt's play this game on high settings very easily. For a single card, it's just harder at high res and high settings. At lower res's and medium settings, most of the new cards can play Crysis, but we all know we want it to be as pretty as possible.

Very best,
September 5, 2008 9:16:40 PM

I think Vista is generally made for Intel Quad Cores and crysis is made for intel cpu's aswell so i skipped everyones posts now dont fire at me ;O! but Crysis isent AMD supported much
September 9, 2008 11:00:50 AM

I run Crysis on high with 4xaa and 2xaf on:

x2 6400
4gigs of ram
8800GT
XFI(frees up alot of cpu in surround sound games over just about any other card out=lots of resources)
Raptors-raid 0

It runs great. Dips to 15 fps near the end of the game but runs flawless the rest of the time at my vsync cap. The above poster is CPU bound. Its pretty typical with those specs. The only cpu from AMD atm is 6400 that will let a 4870 run like it should.

His major problem honestly is his ram. Crysis runs nearly 30% faster on vista 64 while using the 64bit exe. Not using the 64bit client is silly and will hurt your performance. However his system is saturated. His ram is full the second he loads the game. 64 bit vista itself uses more ram after a boot up. 64 bit apps will use more of the ram to run. With less then 4 gigs of ram you are FUBAR trying to game on 64bit vista. Your system will run comparable when gaming to the same rig with xp 32bit and 512 of ram when trying to game but worse.

The Fix:

For now buy another 2 gigs of ram. Run the 64 bit client. The only other thing you can do is wait for a new cpu from amd if you are on an AM2+ MB or convert to Intel. The ram should make your system alot faster. You are literally trying to fit something the size of a car inside of a coffee cup. Ram is cheap and you will be very happy with the results I promise.
September 9, 2008 11:11:08 AM

I get a solid 20fps which in crysis is fairly playable at 1680x1050 all very high with 4xaa, it may be an "nvidia" game but my stock clocked 4870 runs circles around my overclocked 8800GTX in crysis.
June 4, 2009 10:36:45 AM

Hey wow that's exactly what i'm going to build my computer from. Including the monitor i have is a 19 inch widescreen. I'm also interested in Crysis. So AMD 6000+ isn't good at playing Crysis then?
June 4, 2009 10:45:39 AM

THE THREAD IS A YEAR OLD
June 4, 2009 11:09:46 AM

Hahaha. And i like what you've done with your piture, amd core qaud lol. So contradicting.
June 4, 2009 1:37:34 PM

djcoolmasterx said:
THE THREAD IS A YEAR OLD

Do you just hop around threads and comment when their a year old? youre everywhere
June 4, 2009 6:06:18 PM

No i'm not everywhere, i've only been on two threads so far. My own one and this one.
!