Sound

Hi

I've been having trouble with the sound on my PC. I have an OEM Creative
soundblaster live 5.1 soundcard installed, I tried reinstalling the driver
off win xp mag but that didn't work Plus the creative site is of no use, if
you haven't bought the card retail then there is no support for you there.
When I go into "Sound and audio device properties" Through control panel, as
the icon has vanished from the system tray. On the "Audio" and "Voice" tabs,
the default devices are "Modem" instead of my soundcard, and on the
"Hardware" tab it informs me that ;

"Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver
Device status: A driver (service) for this device has been
disabled.
An alternative driver may be providing this functionality.
(Code 32)"

I've tried troubleshooting but can't find nothing of use. Any suggestions
would be gratefully acknowledged.

--
Regards
p.mc

For personal replies please leave or type signature
"p.mc" In the body of the message otherwise
posts will not be received.
Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about sound

    I have had nothing but bad experiences trying to upgrade
    my old Gateway with SBLive! OEM soundcard. The only
    driver that seamed to work with my digital speakers was
    the original (3 yr old) driver from Gateway. I don't know
    what Manufacturer you have, but you should be able to get
    the driver from them.
    I suggest completely removing all software for this card
    before you attempt to install the mfg's driver. You can
    find out how to do this from creative KB. Search
    for 'uninstall' or 'cleansweep'. My info is from Solution
    ID 14834 which I couldn't re-locate on thier site.
    Good luck - I have since purchased the newer SBLive! card
    which still gives me headaches even with creative
    support. (Should have bought turtle beach)

    "Johnny_1" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> [...]

    Thanks johnny_1

    Funny enough, I went to the Evesham site ( My manufacturer )
    and they had a link to drivers for my card but the link was broke,
    then a suggestion to go to Creatives site, and of course they refer you
    back to your manufacturer.
    The thing is though, I can play music, but the sound on Real player
    wont work when I'm playing an AVI file, or events on the PC.
    And with it saying; "Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility
    Driver"
    I thought it had something to do with a microsoft service, I googled
    it and had no joy there.
    I was hoping it would be something simple to fix it.

    Regards
    p.mc

Devices Windows XP