Why No Spell Check In Outlook Express?

I have Windows XP on my CP but the spell check in Outlook
Express does not work. Can it be fixed and how?
13 answers Last reply
More about spell check outlook express

    "AP" <gilopro@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I have Windows XP on my CP but the spell check in Outlook
    > Express does not work. Can it be fixed and how?

    Check to see if it's activated (You didn't mention if you did so.) In OE,
    go to Tools>Options...>Spelling tab (in dialog box). Check or uncheck boxes
    for features desired.

    Malv

    Outlook Express does not include a spell check dictionary.
    Install WORD or WORKS Suite [includes WORD, least expansive
    way to get it]. There are also spell checkers available
    from third parties, try Google.

    "AP" <gilopro@comcast.net> wrote in message
    |I have Windows XP on my CP but the spell check in Outlook
    | Express does not work. Can it be fixed and how?

    "AP" <gilopro@comcast.net> wrote in message
    |I have Windows XP on my CP but the spell check in Outlook
    | Express does not work. Can it be fixed and how?

    As the others said you need Word or another spellchecker.

    Try http://www.geocities.com/vampirefo/ works great.

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    AP wrote:
    > I have Windows XP on my CP but the spell check in Outlook
    > Express does not work. Can it be fixed and how?

    Outlook Express has never had spell-checking capabilities of its
    own. Instead, it relies upon the presence of other Microsoft
    applications, such as the Office Suite, Word, or the Works _Suite_
    (which includes Word, not the regular Works). There are also some
    3rd-party shareware/freeware solutions available at any of the many
    shareware sites on the Internet Spell Magic seems well thought-of,
    though I haven't tried it myself:
    http://www.alcodasoftware.com/spell-magic.htm.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Outlook express needs Microsoft word to enable the spell checker. If you
    haven't got Microsoft word on your pc this is the reason why outlook express
    will not check your spelling. The alternative, assuming you have got
    Microsoft word, is that 'check spelling' isn't enabled in the outlook
    express options (tools>options>spelling.check spelling)
    There is a spell checker that you can use with outlook express in place of
    Microsoft word but I don't have the details to hand at the time of writing
    this post. I'll try to find the name of it and where you can download it -
    unless someone else replies in the meantime.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert

    AP wrote:
    > I have Windows XP on my CP but the spell check in Outlook
    > Express does not work. Can it be fixed and how?

    Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
    if using the web based newsgroup.
    Spell check
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/spellcheck.htm
    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

    There is no spell checker in Outlook Express (never was). You need to use
    one from another program, such as Microsoft Word.

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:33:00 -0800, "AP" <gilopro@comcast.net> wrote:

    >I have Windows XP on my CP but the spell check in Outlook
    >Express does not work. Can it be fixed and how?

    So you don't have Microsoft word. Just Google check, you'll eventually
    find (probably real fast) a free spell checker that's work with your O.E.
    There are probably more than one offered. I like the one I got because it
    sees my small letter "I" by itself and recognizes it needs to be a capital
    letter. Not all spell checkers do that.
    ...D.

    Someone should say WHY. Most people own office or works. MS has paid, and thus we paid, to have a dictionary in the program. If OE had spell check supplied with it then every windows would need to pay a license fee. And most people would end up paying for 2 dictionaries (or more likely twice for the one dictionary).

    MS only include things that have general appeal if they have to pay for it. EG. They do pay JPEG people to display jpegs as the browser would be useless without jpeg support. They do not include DVD codecs because not everyone uses a computer to view DVDs.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in message news:%23AgfmNQ0EHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > AP wrote:
    >> I have Windows XP on my CP but the spell check in Outlook
    >> Express does not work. Can it be fixed and how?
    >
    > Outlook Express has never had spell-checking capabilities of its
    > own. Instead, it relies upon the presence of other Microsoft
    > applications, such as the Office Suite, Word, or the Works _Suite_
    > (which includes Word, not the regular Works). There are also some
    > 3rd-party shareware/freeware solutions available at any of the many
    > shareware sites on the Internet Spell Magic seems well thought-of,
    > though I haven't tried it myself:
    > http://www.alcodasoftware.com/spell-magic.htm.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    "AP" <gilopro@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I have Windows XP on my CP but the spell check in Outlook
    > Express does not work. Can it be fixed and how?

    OE does not come with a spelling checker. It uses the spelling checker from
    any Office program that has one. Do you have such a program?

    If not you could try one of these:

    Free spellchecker.
    http://www.quinion.com/mqa/spell.htm
    or this, which I use on my laptop, which has Works.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/article.php?sid=2952&cat=10A

    $15 shareware
    http://www.spellchecker.com/

    And here's a freeware that checks your spelling as you type:
    TinySpell
    http://www.megspace.com/computers/tinyspell/

    See also:
    Bill James' SpellCheck Fix
    http://www.billsway.com/notes_public/Fix_OE_SpellCheck.txt

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    To resolve this problem once and for all and to enable Outlook Express spell
    check facilities, proceed as follows,

    Copy csapi3t1.dll and WINWORD to C:\Program Files\Outlook Express

    The csapi3t1.dll does NOT have to in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft
    Shared\Proof as most internet geeks dictate.

    WINWORD, a component of Microsoft Office 97, contains a spell checker and
    dictionaries.

    The csapi3t1.dll can be sourced from a number of places, as follows,
    'Google' for it on th web
    Copy it from the Windows XP or Windows 98 installation disk, etc.
    If Microsoft Office 97, or similar is not available, then 'Google' for Free
    Spell Check
    Downloads from the web.
    A Spell Check I have used in the past is OE 2.1.exe from
    http://www.geocities.com/vampirefo/
    Provided that Outlook Express has the a/m *.dll installed and spelling is
    enabled, then OE 2.1.exe will do it's stuff.

    Have fun out there

    "Grenadier" <Grenadier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > To resolve this problem once and for all and to enable Outlook
    > Express spell check facilities, proceed as follows,
    >
    > Copy csapi3t1.dll and WINWORD to C:\Program Files\Outlook Express
    >
    > The csapi3t1.dll does NOT have to in C:\Program Files\Common
    > Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof as most internet geeks dictate.
    >
    > WINWORD, a component of Microsoft Office 97, contains a spell checker
    > and dictionaries.
    >
    > The csapi3t1.dll can be sourced from a number of places, as follows,
    > 'Google' for it on th web
    > Copy it from the Windows XP or Windows 98 installation disk, etc.
    > If Microsoft Office 97, or similar is not available, then 'Google'
    > for Free Spell Check
    > Downloads from the web.
    > A Spell Check I have used in the past is OE 2.1.exe from
    > http://www.geocities.com/vampirefo/
    > Provided that Outlook Express has the a/m *.dll installed and
    > spelling is enabled, then OE 2.1.exe will do it's stuff.
    >
    > Have fun out there

    I said SOME people need it there (I don't). Winword is NOT needed.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    My friend I wont to thank you for the site, It worked great and now that I
    have completed my christmas search for outlook spell checker I can continue
    with work. gobes@charter.net

    "HillBillyBuddhist" wrote:

    > "AP" <gilopro@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > |I have Windows XP on my CP but the spell check in Outlook
    > | Express does not work. Can it be fixed and how?
    >
    > As the others said you need Word or another spellchecker.
    >
    > Try http://www.geocities.com/vampirefo/ works great.

    > I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    > I was just trying to help.
    > Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
    > advice herein.
    > No warranty is expressed or implied.
    > Your mileage may vary.
    > See store for details. :)