Cl1mh4224rd

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2003
I've just recently installed an Asus A7N8X, and did a clean reinstall of Windows 98SE. Under Microsoft System Information (Hardware Resources -> IRQs), I'm seeing multiple "ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering" sharing various IRQs, along with other hardware.

5 Santa Cruz PCI Audio Accelerator
5 NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management
5 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
5 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
10 Radeon 9500/9700 SERIES
10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
11 3Com 3C920B-EMB Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller
11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering

Also in MS System Information (Components -> Problem Devices), "ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering" shows up 10 times with "Device failure: Try changing the driver for this device. If that doesn't work, see your hardware documentation."

Anyone have any idea what the cause is, or anyway to fix it?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Did you install the SiS chipset drivers from the CD? If so, I would suggest going into BIOS and changing PNP OS to NO. That gets your BIOS to assign IRQ's for your devices, something windows often screw up. Also, you might want to pull both the soundcard and network card at this time. Now see if it comes back up with everything else proper. If so, install one of the cards you pulled, and try again. If you see no problems, install the other one and try again. If you DO see a problem after all this, put the card that caused it into a different slot.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

Cl1mh4224rd

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2003
Well, the network "card" might be a bit difficult to pull out, seeing as it's integrated ;), but I did disable it and yank the sound card out. The IRQ Steering on those IRQs subsequently went away (no surprise), but now I had 2 IRQ Steering entries, instead of 3, sharing with my vid card. However, I still had the 10 entries in the Problem Devices section.

I threw the sound card back in, on a different PCI slot, and re-enabled the network interface. Exact same thing as in my first post... :(

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
WOW! And you're CERTAIN you installed ALL the SiS chipset drivers?

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, sorry, got you mixed up with someone else. DID you make certain ALL your nVidia chipset drivers were loaded?