new install of xp pro causes my computer to hang

i've just upgraded from win98 to win xp professional. system works fine
untill i connect both my cd rom and cd re-writer. xp will run with either one
but not with both. what have i done wrong. can anyone help
7 answers Last reply
More about install computer hang

    They probably need to have the jumper pins on the drive reconfigured.
    Set one as master the other slave (if both on same IDE cable).You can/could
    also move one to other IDE cable,then set pins accordingly on both drives.

    "kev" wrote:

    > i've just upgraded from win98 to win xp professional. system works fine
    > untill i connect both my cd rom and cd re-writer. xp will run with either one
    > but not with both. what have i done wrong. can anyone help

    Thanks for the reply.How can i do this.They are both on the same IDE
    cable.Have limited pc knowledge. can you explain more

    "Andrew E." wrote:

    > They probably need to have the jumper pins on the drive reconfigured.
    > Set one as master the other slave (if both on same IDE cable).You can/could
    > also move one to other IDE cable,then set pins accordingly on both drives.
    >
    > "kev" wrote:
    >
    > > i've just upgraded from win98 to win xp professional. system works fine
    > > untill i connect both my cd rom and cd re-writer. xp will run with either one
    > > but not with both. what have i done wrong. can anyone help

    Hi, Kev.

    Jumpers are a type of electrical switches on a hard drive or DVD drive. One
    or more rows of pins are lined up so that a small (maybe 1/4" square,
    usually black) metal-lined plastic sleeve can fit over a pair of them,
    making an electrical connection between that pair. You may need to move a
    jumper from pins 1&2 to 2&3, for example, or from connecting 2&5 to 3&6 -
    with many other variations possible. Depending on the jumper settings, that
    drive may be configured to act as the Master on that IDE channel, or as the
    Slave, or as the Only drive on that channel. Newer IDE cables may use Cable
    Select, and the jumpers need to be set to be compatible with that. Each
    drive is different, so there's no way to know how to set YOUR drive unless
    we know its make and model - and how it relates to other drives in your
    computer.

    These settings are usually shown in documentation that comes with the drive.
    Often there are diagrams on the drives themselves. And the manufacturer's
    website probably shows settings for each drive that company makes.

    If you can't find the proper settings for your drives, post the make and
    model numbers and someone here may be able to find them for you. It might
    also help if we know the make and model of your computer (or motherboard if
    it was locally assembled).

    In some cases, you may also need to be sure that the IDE channel is not
    disabled in the computer's BIOS.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "kev burke" <kevburke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the reply.How can i do this.They are both on the same IDE
    > cable.Have limited pc knowledge. can you explain more
    >
    > "Andrew E." wrote:
    >
    >> They probably need to have the jumper pins on the drive reconfigured.
    >> Set one as master the other slave (if both on same IDE cable).You
    >> can/could
    >> also move one to other IDE cable,then set pins accordingly on both
    >> drives.
    >>
    >> "kev" wrote:
    >>
    >> > i've just upgraded from win98 to win xp professional. system works fine
    >> > untill i connect both my cd rom and cd re-writer. xp will run with
    >> > either one
    >> > but not with both. what have i done wrong. can anyone help

    Hello R. C. White,
    Thanks for your help. My computer is a Packard Bell Pulsar 600 with a
    GA-6WMM7 mother board.The computers bios is set as AUTO for both primary
    master and primary slave drives. My cd-rom is a Samsung SD-616 with jumper
    set as master and my cd-r/rw is a goldstar CED-8080B with jumper set as
    slave. When installing win xp I also partitioned my hard drive. I installed
    windows 98 on drive C and windows xp on drive D . Windows 98 OS works fine
    with this set up but the xp OS always stalls.Would this have any bearing on
    the problem?

    "R. C. White" wrote:

    > Hi, Kev.
    >
    > Jumpers are a type of electrical switches on a hard drive or DVD drive. One
    > or more rows of pins are lined up so that a small (maybe 1/4" square,
    > usually black) metal-lined plastic sleeve can fit over a pair of them,
    > making an electrical connection between that pair. You may need to move a
    > jumper from pins 1&2 to 2&3, for example, or from connecting 2&5 to 3&6 -
    > with many other variations possible. Depending on the jumper settings, that
    > drive may be configured to act as the Master on that IDE channel, or as the
    > Slave, or as the Only drive on that channel. Newer IDE cables may use Cable
    > Select, and the jumpers need to be set to be compatible with that. Each
    > drive is different, so there's no way to know how to set YOUR drive unless
    > we know its make and model - and how it relates to other drives in your
    > computer.
    >
    > These settings are usually shown in documentation that comes with the drive.
    > Often there are diagrams on the drives themselves. And the manufacturer's
    > website probably shows settings for each drive that company makes.
    >
    > If you can't find the proper settings for your drives, post the make and
    > model numbers and someone here may be able to find them for you. It might
    > also help if we know the make and model of your computer (or motherboard if
    > it was locally assembled).
    >
    > In some cases, you may also need to be sure that the IDE channel is not
    > disabled in the computer's BIOS.
    >
    > RC
    > --
    > R. C. White, CPA
    > San Marcos, TX
    > rc@corridor.net
    > Microsoft Windows MVP
    >
    > "kev burke" <kevburke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for the reply.How can i do this.They are both on the same IDE
    > > cable.Have limited pc knowledge. can you explain more
    > >
    > > "Andrew E." wrote:
    > >
    > >> They probably need to have the jumper pins on the drive reconfigured.
    > >> Set one as master the other slave (if both on same IDE cable).You
    > >> can/could
    > >> also move one to other IDE cable,then set pins accordingly on both
    > >> drives.

    Hi, Kev.

    > When installing win xp I also partitioned my hard drive. I installed
    > windows 98 on drive C and windows xp on drive D . Windows 98 OS works fine
    > with this set up but the xp OS always stalls.Would this have any bearing
    > on
    > the problem?

    Maybe. It certainly raises more questions. :^{

    How many HDs do you have? What interface (IDE, SATA...)? Are C: and D:
    different partitions on a single HD, or separate physical drives? Are you
    using the native dual-boot system built into WinXP, or third-party system,
    such as BootMagic, that uses multiple Active (bootable) partitions?

    Each time the computer boots, the BIOS assigns "drive" letters from scratch,
    forgetting what may have been assigned before. Then, when Windows loads, it
    may reassign the letters, based on its own algorithm - and the WinXP system
    is slightly different from the Win98 system. The differences are mainly in
    whether they first assign letters to primary partitions on all drives, and
    then to logical drives and devices (such as CD/DVD drives). That's the
    reason for asking all those questions: to see whether different drive
    letter assignments might cause confusion. It wouldn't happen with the
    native MS dual-boot system; I don't know what might happen with third-party
    boot managers.

    WinXP has Disk Management, a utility that first appeared in Win2K and is not
    in Win98. One way to find it is to type at the Run prompt: diskmgmt.msc

    Disk Management is the tool to manage all your disk drives, including CD/DVD
    drives. What does it say about your drives, especially the optical drives?

    > with this set up but the xp OS always stalls.

    Please define "always stalls". Does it hang during boot? Or only when you
    try to access that drive? Or what? Does it boot up to the WinXP desktop at
    all?

    RC
    --

> [...]
    >>
    >> RC
    >>
    >> "kev burke" <kevburke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks for the reply.How can i do this.They are both on the same IDE
    >> > cable.Have limited pc knowledge. can you explain more

    "kev burke" <kevburke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello R. C. White,
    > Thanks for your help. My computer is a Packard Bell Pulsar 600 with a
    > GA-6WMM7 mother board.The computers bios is set as AUTO for both primary
    > master and primary slave drives. My cd-rom is a Samsung SD-616 with jumper
    > set as master and my cd-r/rw is a goldstar CED-8080B with jumper set as
    > slave. When installing win xp I also partitioned my hard drive. I
    > installed
    > windows 98 on drive C and windows xp on drive D . Windows 98 OS works fine
    > with this set up but the xp OS always stalls.Would this have any bearing

    Your unit is rather dated. Did you check for compatibility? Insert the XP
    disk
    when the splash screen appears tick check system compatibility.

Windows XP Computers Microsoft CD-Rom