Quick Start Icon - How to remove????

Jim

I went to the site of the International Chili Society, and somehow
this site left an Icon of Internet Explorer over a sheet of paper in
my quick start try, next to the START on taskbar in XP Professional.
I try to run it and get error message saying "This Internet short
cannot be opened because failed to run". If you place the mouse
pointer over this icon, it reads "International Chili Society". If I
try to delete the icon, I get the error message "Error Deleting File
or Folder - Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or
disk".

How can I get rid of this uninvited guest? How can a web site put an
icon in the quick start tray?

Thanks,

Jim

Hi,

Try deleting the shortcut in this folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Quick Launch

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Jim" <wdxp@cox.net> wrote in message
>I went to the site of the International Chili Society, and somehow
> this site left an Icon of Internet Explorer over a sheet of paper in
> my quick start try, next to the START on taskbar in XP Professional.
> I try to run it and get error message saying "This Internet short
> cannot be opened because failed to run". If you place the mouse
> pointer over this icon, it reads "International Chili Society". If I
> try to delete the icon, I get the error message "Error Deleting File
> or Folder - Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or
> disk".
>
> How can I get rid of this uninvited guest? How can a web site put an
> icon in the quick start tray?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

Jim