Can I play Crysis maxed out with this PC?

paisa

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Hello everyone. Well I got a decent ammount of money for my bday so I was thinking of building a good PC.
As you know, if it can run Crysis, it can run anything, so would I be able to play Crysis maxed out with this set up?

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 (3,16 Ghz)
4 GB of RAM DDR2 at 800 Mhz
GeForce 9600GT xXx
At a resolution of 1024x768 or 1280x768

Do you think it's a better idea to buy a Q6600 (quad core) instead of the E8500, and changing the 9600GT XXX for a 8800GT XXX? I dont know which one of the graphic cards perform better, but the 8800 GT XXX is more expensive so it must be better? I dont understand how's this because the 9600 clock speed is 740 Mhz while 8800's is 650 Mhz.

Thank you.

G

wow i can't even start to formulate a response to this....

try going to the graphics card forum...

try actually doing research....

i'm sorry but its people like you why computers from dell are so over priced and crappy

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
As you know, if it can run Crysiscrysis , it can run anything, so would I be able to play Crysis maxed out with this set up?

No.

Do you think it's a better idea to buy a Q6600 (quad core) instead of the E8500,

For a gaming PC, no not really. The q6600 is pretty nice if you do more with your PC than just game, but for games right now, most use only 2 cores - so the e8500 would outperform it in most games.

and changing the 9600GT XXX for a 8800GT8800gt XXX? I dont know which one of the graphic cardsgraphic cards perform better,

The 8800 GT is better, it has more raw horsepower than the 9600 GT. The old way Nvidia named gpus is confusing for less initiated people.

I dont understand how's this because the 9600 clock speedhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clock_rate is 740 Mhz while 8800's is 650 Mhz.

The 9600 GT has less processing cores than the 8800 GT which is why the 8800 GT is better. Generally more cores are better for graphics cards because of how graphics cards function.

So, if you intend to play at 1280*1024 (i'm assuming 768 was a mistake) i'd suggest the 8800 GT over the 9600 GT, its a good step up. I'd also recommend an EVGA card, so that if you end up unhappy with your choice and wanting more power, they offer a trade-in program.

Bear in mind, there is basically no graphics card configuration out right now that really maxes out Crysis that is in an affordable price point - however an e8500 and an 8800 GT should allow you to play at High details with no AA in 1280*1024 resolution - but thats the best you'll get, regrettably; the game just eats graphics cards alive.

I use dual gtx260s in SLI which allows me to play 1680*1050*4xAA with my CPU overclocked to 4.05ghz - and its good fps; however, thats about 600$ of graphics cards to get that kind of performance, which I don't think is going to be affordable for you.

If you want to go a bit higher on the performance scale, you can probably get an EVGA 9800GX2 for 280$ on Newegg - which is a really nice card. It has a fairly strict power supply requirement though.

As thogrom said, you need to do some research and make an educated decision; don't rush into purchases especially when it comes to computer hardware, its very worthwhile to wait and comprehend fully what you're getting into before you do.

Jester7421

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I agree on the research, however watch where you do your research, I for one do not trust the magazines out there. This site is a good source. If you can see it first hand that is better. Do not assume that if the computer playes Crysis that it will work on every game, esp older games. Do look at the recommended setting for the game of your choice. Then research the games web sites for some insight. Do this for all of your software and find the common denominators. Good Luck. btw a little on the grumpy side however thogrom has a point, do not try to chase the cutting edge of technology just because some hype out there tells you it's the deal.

tallguy1618

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
Why not get a 4850? Then he probably can run crysis near maxed out at 1280x1024. It's not that much more expensive, but I could be wrong. And give the guy a break. He's obviously new to computers so don't give him a hard time. The last thing we need is another PC gamer converting to consoles.

Reactions: paisa

pcnazz

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
very true tallguy , don't need any turn overs , the advise I give to you worked for me which was going to all these forums and review site's and what ever at the time was on my mind thats what I would search for and that's how I got my information ! also I used You-Tube to get the info I was looking for and believe me this way works , read , read and read some more and watch the video"s and it's fun and it will fix you right up ! the 4850 tallguy mentioned is a very good card to go along with the intel 8500 cpu , nice gamer cpu you picked ! those two will play Crysis very nice and in the future you can cross-fire another one if you want , good price and good performance and the gpu is new technology which today is hard to keep up with , good luck and have fun :sol:

paisa

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008

How come a 9800GX2 is a few bucks more than a 8800 GT XXX? I just looked up that card in Ebay and it's $600 :S (I'm not from the US so prices may vary tho)

And yeah, I think I'm going for the E8500. I like it's a 45nm processor, and I wont be using any heavy programs like to need a quad core. Besides, by the time games support 4 cores, the Q6600 will be so old.

Basically I'm looking forward to build a pc that can run any actual games (with the exception of Crysis). I guess that with a 8800 GT XXX I'd do fine, dont you think so? I'll try and go for the 9800 if I can afford it tho. Thanks for your help btw.

I had dismissed this card for some reason. But I looked at some reviews and I think this is the card I'll buy. Thanks for the tip! :D

Now I just need to pick a good motherboard and I'm all set. Any suggestions?

paisa

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Lol well I'm kinda having a hard time with prices.. I have around $300 left and I gotta buy the mother, power suply, case and DVD unit :S I found a GIGABYTE EP35 Ds3l for $130 that seems to be a good choice for something under $200. I really dont wanna buy good stuff and screw things up with a cheap mother, so I dont know if this one would do the job.

G

for a cheapish good spec id go with the E8500 and a good heat sink and OC the hell outa it

the the 9800 GT rather than the 8800 GT simpily cause the price and preformance is the same however the 9800 GT allows for 3 way SLI, u can get an XfX on ebuyer for £96 atm i think

as for Motherbords just get a good make that does FSB 1333 and ram at 800 mhz and max ram 8 gb, that should be fine and 4 gb OCZ or corsair 800 mhz ram

and hard drive is up do u just get a goo chache like 16mb + on it

as a wildcard..........

i used the pentium dual core in my GF's PC an clocked it to 3.4 ghz and it preformas amazing for a CPU that cost £45

i heard there is a new pentium dual core 45nm im not sure on price but check it out, on a budget that thing could OC like a mad man

the reason being is beacuse the FSB on the pentium duals is much lower than the standard core 2's so u can overclock to the max heat rather than the limit of the motherbaord.

and a 550-600 W branded PSU

pcnazz

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
check out the cpu + mb combo deals that newegg and tiger direct usually have to offer keep in mind that you in the future might upgrade to a quad 4 cpu so you want a mb that is a little bit future proof and if you don't go that route also keep in mind the duel core mb's are going down in price alot now so keep those two things in mind as you shop these online stores , both stores I mentioned are two of the best all around in my opinion , have fun and post back with your finds

paisa

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
It supports both 45nm processors and quad cores. It's a good choice for the price. Plus it supports OC and has solid capacitors. I think that's what I'm gonna get.

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008

The U.S. price is 280$ for an EVGA model from newegg.com

I have no idea what it is outside of North America.

paisa

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008

You mean the mb? It's a Gigabyte EP35-DS3L.

paisa

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008

Hmm, nothing. It's just that games are the toughest thing I would run on a pc. I mean, doing homework for college, talking on msn and listening to music doesnt require a hell of a pc. And since I dont do video editing or anything like that, then I wanted to make sure I'd be able to play any games if I ever want to :p

paisa

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008

Lol maybe. No need to tho. If I can even think of building a pc like this with the prices 30% higher in my country (I'm from south america) then so could them..

Back on topic, I think I'm getting a Ati HD4870. Seems a good choice.

racoonuttv

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
If you want a good stable motherboard thats great for gaming and doesnt cost a ton (comes with 2 PCi 16x) THe Asus P5n-D will be the right buy for you, Ive been using it with 4 gb or ddr2 800 mhz ram and a 9800 gx2 with all high setting with an E8500 and it does average 35 Frames per second, its a blast, trust me its a banging setup!

Specs:
Motherboard: Asus P5n-D
CPU: INtel core 2 duo E8500 3,16 (Great for overclocking)
GPU:BFG 9800 gx2 (Not overclocked)
Case: Thermaltake M5
Power supply: Enermax Galaxy 850 W
Ram: Corsair xmas DDR2 4 gb 800 mhz
Hardrive: 500 gb S-ATA maxtor

With this set-up you will conquer the gaming world with great overclocking potential and will cost you less than 1000 Euro! (Cost me 750 Euro)

Enjoy :)