Get Windows Messanger Out of Tray

How do I get rid of the Windows Messenger icon in the system tray. I don't
use it, don't want it, and didn't ask for it.
--
Thanks in advance... Bob

Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows
Components > remove the checkmark from Windows Messenger. This removes your
ability to access Windows Messenger, and with that, the system tray icon.

If you want to continue to use Windows Messenger and just wish to remove the
icon, post back for instructions.

Ted Zieglar

"Bob Newman" <bob.newman@cox.net> wrote in message
> How do I get rid of the Windows Messenger icon in the system tray. I
> don't
> use it, don't want it, and didn't ask for it.
> --
> Thanks in advance... Bob

Go to your C drive/program files find the Messenger folder and rename it
Disabled Messenger, and it will never start again.

"Bob Newman" wrote:

> How do I get rid of the Windows Messenger icon in the system tray. I don't
> use it, don't want it, and didn't ask for it.
> --
> Thanks in advance... Bob

See www.dougknox.com, Win XP Utilities, Disable/Remove Windows Messenger.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Bob Newman" <bob.newman@cox.net> wrote in message news:tyxod.3392$1t.1221@lakeread07...
> How do I get rid of the Windows Messenger icon in the system tray. I don't
> use it, don't want it, and didn't ask for it.
> --
> Thanks in advance... Bob

All U gotta do is open my computer/windows explorer, then navigate to the
following folder: C:\Program Files\Messenger.

Find the messenger program (with the messenger Icon and rename it, so that
it ends in .bak instead of .exe.

That way, windows wont think messenger a program and nothing will be able to
run it.

If you ever choose to use it in ther future, just change the name back.

Hope this helps

"Bob Newman" wrote:

> How do I get rid of the Windows Messenger icon in the system tray. I don't
> use it, don't want it, and didn't ask for it.
> --
> Thanks in advance... Bob

Thanks.

Bob

> Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows
> Components > remove the checkmark from Windows Messenger. This removes
your
> ability to access Windows Messenger, and with that, the system tray icon.
>
> If you want to continue to use Windows Messenger and just wish to remove
the
> icon, post back for instructions.
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "Bob Newman" <bob.newman@cox.net> wrote in message
> > How do I get rid of the Windows Messenger icon in the system tray. I
> > don't
> > use it, don't want it, and didn't ask for it.
> > --
> > Thanks in advance... Bob

I removed the checkmark from Windows Messenger but I still have c:\Program
Files\Messenger folder.

| Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows
| Components > remove the checkmark from Windows Messenger. This removes
your
| ability to access Windows Messenger, and with that, the system tray icon.
|
| If you want to continue to use Windows Messenger and just wish to remove
the
| icon, post back for instructions.
|
| Ted Zieglar
|
| "Bob Newman" <bob.newman@cox.net> wrote in message
| > How do I get rid of the Windows Messenger icon in the system tray. I
| > don't
| > use it, don't want it, and didn't ask for it.
| > --
| > Thanks in advance... Bob

Correct. The procedure you followed does not remove the software from your
computer. As I mentioned, it only prevents your being able to use the
software in any way. Therefore, for example, Windows Messenger won't
interfere with any of your other software (including Windows itself.) Think
of it as being in hibernation - asleep to the world unless and until you
alone decide to wake it up.

You should think twice about removing Windows Messenger from your hard disk,
which can be done with a well-known hack. You might decide one day that you
need a function, like Remote Assistance, that requires Windows Messenger.

You now have the best of all solutions. Enjoy.

Ted Zieglar