Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Vista Ultimate 64-Bit Games

Last response: in Video Games
September 7, 2008 1:46:27 AM

I just installed Vista Ultimate, 64-bit on my pc and im trying to find any games that take advantage of the 64-bit system, direct x 10, and whatever else vistas improvements supposedly were. Im re-downloading crysis, but are there any other games out there that people would recommend?

Thanks!
September 7, 2008 2:59:27 AM

I know the games in the orange box have a 64-bit mode that can take advantage of such an operating system, but I don't know if it utilizes dx10 or not. As far as I know, Crysis is the best game for 64-bit + dx10.
September 8, 2008 10:47:05 AM

Your downloading crysis... why dont you just buy the **** game, common it's in bargain bins now!!!
Related resources
September 8, 2008 4:21:21 PM

I don't know of any games that take advantage of 64-bits (a LOT needs to be re-programmed to take advantage of the extra memory bits), and only a handful of games feature DX10 features.

In short, it probably wasn't worth the "upgrade" to Vista.
September 9, 2008 10:54:11 AM

Here is the catch. There are not alot of games using 64bit exe. Alot more work applications do though. There is a 64bit Counterstrike, Crysis, and thats about all I can think of. Crysis is much faster in 64bit. The added performance most of us 64bit vista users are getting in games is from having 4 gigs of ram over the lower cap on a 32 bit OS. That alone makes the system breath better if I could put it that way.
September 9, 2008 10:58:36 AM

Lord Of the rings online has DX10 Graphics its not 64, well worth a look though.
September 9, 2008 2:32:39 PM

Heres the issue: its easy to make a 32 bit app work on a 64 bit machine, but its hard to also code it to take advantage of the extra 32 bits on a 64 bit machine.

And because Vista crashed hard, and with the upcomming release of DX 11, I now predict no game will ever be released as DX 10 only. You heard it here first.
September 9, 2008 2:39:46 PM

Unreal Tournament 3 is another one that can run in 64 bit.
September 9, 2008 4:50:54 PM

crom said:
Unreal Tournament 3 is another one that can run in 64 bit.

Does it TAKE ADVANTAGE of 64 bit though? Most any decently coded 32bit (or 16 or 8 bit) app can run on a 64 bit machine, but will only run faster if code is written specifically to take advantage of the extra bits if they exist.
September 9, 2008 11:28:22 PM

No wrong answer. 16bit and 8bit no worky on 64bit. It's not really about speed but the amount of memory that an app can use. That frequently should improve performance.

As for games I'm not sold that Crysis takes advantage of 64 bit coding. It certainly doesn't improve performance in a meaningful way.
September 10, 2008 12:06:22 PM

My point is that well coded apps could care less how many extra bits you have, which excludes 99.9% of all programs...
September 10, 2008 4:31:39 PM

While upgrading to Vista is for some, a big decision; I would highly recommend vista if you're a somewhat enthousiast PC gamer. Furthermore, if you upgrade to Vista, then it is common sense to get a 64-bit version. Should you upgrade? Yes if you have a good system...and no if you have your 2+ year old system.

Like most of you know, Vista 64-bit will read more RAM than it's 32-bit version (32-bit will read around 3.3 gigs but including your videoram and other devices such as Soundcards). From my personal experience, Crysis is the only game that makes a difference between having 4 gigs of RAM over 2 gigs of RAM in performance and sluttering. Thou, it won't be too long before we start seeing games that require the same amount of RAM in the near future. Hence, 64-bit OS wins.

Now, 64-bit coding, is something that is improving (but also hurting) the overall performance. In theory, processing 64-bit coding will increase performance. However, I have yet to see a game that takes full advantage of 64-bit coding. Crysis does....but the end results are very similar. I ran the Crysis GPU and CPU test twice for each category and the results were inconsistent. In average, 64-bit won by 1 FPS in the GPU test and 2-3 FPS in the CPU test (thou it lost in the first test by 1 FPS). Overall, you won't see a difference between running the game at 32-bit or 64-bit...thou you will see a difference in running the game in a 64-bit OS vs a 32-bit OS (if you have more than 3.3 gigs of RAM overall).

mrmark27: If you are downloading the game (legit copy) then make sure you patch your game with the latest patch 1.21 which will slightly improve performance while using Crysis64.exe. Thou, I wouldn't get my hopes too high.

Crysis DX10: On a final note, I know everyone got very excited about the very high settings crack for XP(I have XP)...which is a great tweak if you have Windows XP. However, Very High XP visuals are NOT the Very High Vista visuals. Although you need a beast to play Crysis at Very High + HD resolution in Vista DX10, the visuals are better. Is it 2000$ better? No. But absolutely better than the XP Very High visuals.
September 11, 2008 9:21:17 AM

Yeah, the new patch and new Nvidia drivers let Crysis run very well. I was actually playing the game at 1680X1050 with everything set to very high on Vista Ultimate X64. I only have a single 8800GTX and an Intel Core2 Q6600 with 4GB of ram, so it’s nothing special. Saying that though, it was playable but it did not flow like water so don’t expect ultra high frame rates, just enough to stop you getting pissed off over.
September 11, 2008 1:51:42 PM

THQ's Supreme Command: Forged Alliances needs and uses the 64 bit OS for addressing. Although it's still a 32 bit program, it needs a 64 bit OS. Here's how it works and why.

Important fact: an 32 bit OS can only address 4 billion addresses (2^32=4 000 000 000). In Windows XP 32 bit the OS allocates 2 GB of addresses to programs and 2 GB for the OS, Video Card and other addressable stuff. So when a game like Supreme Commander hits only 2 GB, it crashes. It is possible to edit XP so that this division of resources is changed. This is sometimes known as "Large Address Aware" I use 2.6 GB for programs/1.4 for the OS. The most the Microsoft recommends is 3.0 GB programs/ 1 GB OS but I have a large video card and I have had issues with 3/1 so I recommend 2.6/1.4.
64 bit OS's on the other hand can address about 1.6^14. Also known as lots and lots. So for Vista and XP 64, a 32 bit program can use a full 4 GB without having to share with the OS.

Here's some baselines for regular SupCom on a LAN:
3 Human VS 3 AI's @ 500 units each rarely break the 2 GB limit, never the 2.6 GB limit
4 Humans VS 4 AI's @ 500 units each often break 2 GB and we have crashed hitting 2.6 at least once (in a few hundred games)
While our LAN group is all quads (Q6600's to QX6700's) SupCom just gets too slow with 8 players and 750-1000 units so we're not sure of the memory requirements at those counts. We just bought two 9550's so maybe they'll be strong enough for 8 player/750 units. I'll let you know. If not, I hope to find out when Intel's i7's come out.

64 bit is here now. Company of Heroes just about hits the 2 GB limit and it's not alone. Microsoft is made an error not making Vista 64 bit only and is royally screwing up but not making Windows Seven (or whatever they'll call it) 64 bit only. Why is this bad? because other companies have to write double the drivers- a 32 and a 64 bit instead of just a 64 bit.
September 11, 2008 3:25:32 PM

Falcon688 said:

64 bit is here now. Company of Heroes just about hits the 2 GB limit and it's not alone. Microsoft is made an error not making Vista 64 bit only and is royally screwing up but not making Windows Seven (or whatever they'll call it) 64 bit only. Why is this bad? because other companies have to write double the drivers- a 32 and a 64 bit instead of just a 64 bit.

On that i agree. Vista should never had a 32 bits kernel.
Windows Seven coming out in 32 bit is another error.

And windows XP should be kept for legacy systems. Like Windows for Warehouses.
All Cpus are AMD64 or EMT64 for a long time now.
January 14, 2009 6:55:11 AM

why do they keep making 32 bit windows?
January 14, 2009 1:43:23 PM

Honestly, it's less about what dx version the game supports, and more about maximizing your OS. Orange Box FTW! :D 
January 14, 2009 2:28:24 PM

pfff why did this OP get any help after ripping off Crysis :non: 
February 2, 2009 2:20:31 PM

Quote:
that site hasnt been updated since 2006 :sleep: 

The game part maybe, but the rest is updated regularly ;)  , see drivers for Graphics Cards (ATI CCC 9.1 is included)
March 8, 2009 6:56:34 PM

GTA IV is one that is said to run on 64-bit. it says right on the back of the box "enhanced for 64-bit and multi-core systems". i'll know if there is any difference from 32bit to 64bit tomorrow when my 64bit DVD gets here in the mail
Anonymous
April 17, 2009 9:05:03 PM

Frankly, who gives a toss. Buy an Xbox 360 and use the extra time you waste worrying about frame rates getting outside into the fresh air.
April 18, 2009 2:02:13 AM

Quote:
Frankly, who gives a toss. Buy an Xbox 360 and use the extra time you waste worrying about frame rates getting outside into the fresh air.

YOUR COOL
June 29, 2009 3:25:03 PM

pr2thej said:
pfff why did this OP get any help after ripping off Crysis :non: 

just because hes downloading the game doesnt mean hes ripping it off...i get all my games digitally via steam, d2d etc.... so shut the F@*# up already
July 1, 2009 5:54:03 PM

elemental: war of magic is going to have a 64 bit version, its also multithreaded. It will be an awesome game as well. Out soon.
Anonymous
November 20, 2009 4:28:48 PM

Quote:

If you're going along that tangent, buy a PS3 you cheapskate
June 10, 2010 4:29:48 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!