How to change user login name?

November 23, 2004 12:13:12 PM

I am the sole user and owner of my XP computer. Could you please show me
how to change the default user name in the logon welcome screen? I did go
into Control Panel but this only change name superficially. The one in the
login screen (i.e. default user name which was set up by the store) is the
one I want to change. It would appear an edit of Win Registry is necessary.
Thanks a lot for your help.

--
Hoa
anonymous@discussions.mykrosof.com.invld.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
Benjamin Franklin

More about : change user login

Anonymous
November 23, 2004 1:00:25 PM

When you change a user name, it is only superficial. You need to create a new User account with the name the way you want it to appear, then copy the old User Profile to the new account.

Copy a User Profile:

Open System in Control Panel. On the User Profiles tab, and under Profiles stored on this computer, click the user profile you want to copy, and then click Copy To.

In the Copy To dialog box, under Copy profile to, type the location for the new profile, or click Browse to select the path.
Click Change to open the Choose User dialog box, click a new user from the Names list, and then click Add. The new user name will appear in Add Name. Click OK to add the user as a new user profile on your computer.

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator to the local computer to copy user profiles. To open a Control Panel item, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click the appropriate icon.

Note: You cannot copy to/from the account you're logged onto.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

!