Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Saving to a CD-RW

Tags:
  • CD-Rom
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 9:25:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

We just got the upgrade from ME to XP this weekend. I'm still trying to get
used to saving files to a CD-RW on the XP OS. On my ME OS all I did was just
save the file directly to the CD. But with XP I can't do this because of file
access even if I change the properties value from "Read Only" to "Archive." I
find that I gotta save the file to my C drive then move the file into the
folder on the CD. Then this prompts me to "Save to disk". Is this the correct
way to save to a disk on the XP OS?

More about : saving

Anonymous
November 23, 2004 7:36:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On 23/11/2004 lplph wrote:

> We just got the upgrade from ME to XP this weekend. I'm still trying
> to get used to saving files to a CD-RW on the XP OS. On my ME OS all
> I did was just save the file directly to the CD. But with XP I can't
> do this because of file access even if I change the properties value
> from "Read Only" to "Archive." I find that I gotta save the file to
> my C drive then move the file into the folder on the CD. Then this
> prompts me to "Save to disk". Is this the correct way to save to a
> disk on the XP OS?

Where is the file to start with? Dragging it from, say, D: to the CD is
no different to dragging it from C: to the CD.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 7:36:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hi Jeff,

The files are on the CD-RW. I open them to edit and try to save and
can't...both html and txt files. Also, I tried to take some of my html files
from my website server and add to the CD but couldn't as well.

L



"Jeff Gaines" wrote:

> On 23/11/2004 lplph wrote:
>
> > We just got the upgrade from ME to XP this weekend. I'm still trying
> > to get used to saving files to a CD-RW on the XP OS. On my ME OS all
> > I did was just save the file directly to the CD. But with XP I can't
> > do this because of file access even if I change the properties value
> > from "Read Only" to "Archive." I find that I gotta save the file to
> > my C drive then move the file into the folder on the CD. Then this
> > prompts me to "Save to disk". Is this the correct way to save to a
> > disk on the XP OS?
>
> Where is the file to start with? Dragging it from, say, D: to the CD is
> no different to dragging it from C: to the CD.
>
> --
> Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
>
Related resources
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 8:05:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

You need to install the same CD mastering software that you had on Me to write to the CD-RW. At least the same UDF (packet) writing program.

If it was Roxio V4 DO NOT install it, go to the Roxio site for information.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
__________In response to__________
"lplph" <lplph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0D6B5CEC-1DD1-4079-8A02-6F5E6627E2C2@microsoft.com...
| Hi Jeff,
|
| The files are on the CD-RW. I open them to edit and try to save and
| can't...both html and txt files. Also, I tried to take some of my html files
| from my website server and add to the CD but couldn't as well.
|
| L
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 10:38:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On 23/11/2004 lplph wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> The files are on the CD-RW. I open them to edit and try to save and
> can't...both html and txt files. Also, I tried to take some of my
> html files from my website server and add to the CD but couldn't as
> well.
>
> L

OK, if they're on the CD to start with it's probably sensible to pull
them on the the HD, edit them and then put them back on the CD.

Whether or not you can do this by drag and drop depends on whether or
not 'packet writing' is enabled for your CD - I don't know if it is in
XP for CD's. I use it for writing to DVD RAM but I had to install a
packet writing driver that came with the drive. Perhaps somebody else
will be able to give advice, or check the help/CD documentation for
packet writing.


--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 7:17:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Thanks for your replies and help Jeff and mrtee.

I end up editing the files on my HD, then I'm able to to drag and drop them
onto the CD-RW. I guess I'll edit my files this way. With the ME I never kept
any files on the HD, just a CD and edited files directly.

I also had my husband take my CD to his PC at work and it was able to open
and read all the files on the CD. So he emailed me all my files! :) 

Thanks again!
L


"» mrtee «" wrote:

> You need to install the same CD mastering software that you had on Me to write to the CD-RW. At least the same UDF (packet) writing program.
>
> If it was Roxio V4 DO NOT install it, go to the Roxio site for information.
>
> --
> Just my 2¢ worth,
> Jeff
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 7:58:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Glad that you got it solved - woking at least.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
__________In response to__________
"lplph" <lplph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:33577CFF-8398-4313-B3B0-2D9FC7CC8178@microsoft.com...
| Thanks for your replies and help Jeff and mrtee.
|
| I end up editing the files on my HD, then I'm able to to drag and drop them
| onto the CD-RW. I guess I'll edit my files this way. With the ME I never kept
| any files on the HD, just a CD and edited files directly.
|
| I also had my husband take my CD to his PC at work and it was able to open
| and read all the files on the CD. So he emailed me all my files! :) 
|
| Thanks again!
| L
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 6:29:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Thanks mrtee! We worked around it and I'm able to get my files saved to
another CD! :) 

L


"» mrtee «" wrote:

> Glad that you got it solved - woking at least.
>
> --
> Just my 2¢ worth,
> Jeff
> __________In response to__________
> "lplph" <lplph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:33577CFF-8398-4313-B3B0-2D9FC7CC8178@microsoft.com...
> | Thanks for your replies and help Jeff and mrtee.
> |
> | I end up editing the files on my HD, then I'm able to to drag and drop them
> | onto the CD-RW. I guess I'll edit my files this way. With the ME I never kept
> | any files on the HD, just a CD and edited files directly.
> |
> | I also had my husband take my CD to his PC at work and it was able to open
> | and read all the files on the CD. So he emailed me all my files! :) 
> |
> | Thanks again!
> | L
>
>
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 1:19:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I have the same problem. I changed from ME to XP last week and cannot change
and save documents to my CD-RW disk. I get a message that says: "Cannot save
to CD. You do not have permission to save in this directory. See the
administrator to obtain permission"
Thanks, Nejeunee

"lplph" wrote:

> We just got the upgrade from ME to XP this weekend. I'm still trying to get
> used to saving files to a CD-RW on the XP OS. On my ME OS all I did was just
> save the file directly to the CD. But with XP I can't do this because of file
> access even if I change the properties value from "Read Only" to "Archive." I
> find that I gotta save the file to my C drive then move the file into the
> folder on the CD. Then this prompts me to "Save to disk". Is this the correct
> way to save to a disk on the XP OS?
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 4:20:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Nejeunee" <Nejeunee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:21D1AA31-B075-4815-892C-274DC45AC1D4@microsoft.com
> I have the same problem. I changed from ME to XP last week and cannot
> change
> and save documents to my CD-RW disk. I get a message that says: "Cannot
> save
> to CD. You do not have permission to save in this directory. See the
> administrator to obtain permission"
> Thanks, Nejeunee
>
> "lplph" wrote:

If you mean by dragging to a CD, no version of Windows has that ability.
You will have to install whatever software you had in WinMe that enabled it.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Protect your PC
http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/defau...
http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 1:30:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"lplph" wrote:

> We just got the upgrade from ME to XP this weekend. I'm still trying to get
> used to saving files to a CD-RW on the XP OS. On my ME OS all I did was just
> save the file directly to the CD. But with XP I can't do this because of file
> access even if I change the properties value from "Read Only" to "Archive." I
> find that I gotta save the file to my C drive then move the file into the
> folder on the CD. Then this prompts me to "Save to disk". Is this the correct
> way to save to a disk on the XP OS?
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 1:38:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"lplph" wrote:

> We just got the upgrade from ME to XP this weekend. I'm still trying to get
> used to saving files to a CD-RW on the XP OS. On my ME OS all I did was just
> save the file directly to the CD. But with XP I can't do this because of file
> access even if I change the properties value from "Read Only" to "Archive." I
> find that I gotta save the file to my C drive then move the file into the
> folder on the CD. Then this prompts me to "Save to disk". Is this the correct
> way to save to a disk on the XP OS?
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 1:52:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Tommy: I am advised by a HP rep that the HP cd writer 640i will record files
DIRECTLY to the burner without the additional steps as most XP users are
discovering. Can anyone confirm this? I have sonic software and it insists
that I file first to the HD the copy to the CD-R/RW drive. This is a very
awkward time consuming and backward step. I really liked to old system that
allowed direct recording. Please let me know if I can sovle this problem by
changing some settings in XP or by buying the HP gear with, hopefuly,
software that eliminated this pesky "improvemnet"!. I hope a HP user is
online as well as the software people who programmed this backward step into
the XP.Thanks.



"lplph" wrote:

> We just got the upgrade from ME to XP this weekend. I'm still trying to get
> used to saving files to a CD-RW on the XP OS. On my ME OS all I did was just
> save the file directly to the CD. But with XP I can't do this because of file
> access even if I change the properties value from "Read Only" to "Archive." I
> find that I gotta save the file to my C drive then move the file into the
> folder on the CD. Then this prompts me to "Save to disk". Is this the correct
> way to save to a disk on the XP OS?
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 3:18:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Tommy:" wrote:

> Tommy: I am advised by a HP rep that the HP cd writer 640i will record files
> DIRECTLY to the burner without the additional steps as most XP users are
> discovering. Can anyone confirm this? I have sonic software and it insists
> that I file first to the HD the copy to the CD-R/RW drive. This is a very
> awkward time consuming and backward step. I really liked to old system that
> allowed direct recording. Please let me know if I can sovle this problem by
> changing some settings in XP or by buying the HP gear with, hopefuly,
> software that eliminated this pesky "improvemnet"!. I hope a HP user is
> online as well as the software people who programmed this backward step into
> the XP.Thanks.
>
>
>
> "lplph" wrote:
>
> > We just got the upgrade from ME to XP this weekend. I'm still trying to get
> > used to saving files to a CD-RW on the XP OS. On my ME OS all I did was just
> > save the file directly to the CD. But with XP I can't do this because of file
> > access even if I change the properties value from "Read Only" to "Archive." I
> > find that I gotta save the file to my C drive then move the file into the
> > folder on the CD. Then this prompts me to "Save to disk". Is this the correct
> > way to save to a disk on the XP OS?
!