imnotageek

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
I am eager to try out the game. But I usually wait for a while for the bugs to get fixed. How is the game release like? Is it stable? Fun so far?

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I have played for hours and hours and while the game has struck my curiosity, now that I have reached the space age, curiosity has worn off and now tedium has set in with me vainly hoping that if I keep playing things will get better.

The game is very stable with it only crashing once after 10 hours of play and not crashing since with about 10 hours of play after that.

Captainhero

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Im not sure on this game, I have been playing now for a fair few hours. I think the evolution side of the game is secondary to the space exploration. It doesnt take long to get up to the space level but my problem was I am being constantly attacked and dont have the funds to fight. So I will restart and try again. Aparently lots of people have been moaning that the space section is too hard, maybe a patch will sort. Cost me £42 with EA's stupid extended download service! Im not too sure what I rate this at yet as I am a FPS man although I loved Civ. At the moment I'd say 6.5/10. When I get stuck into the space levels and reach the centre of the galaxy we will see.... This game is huge though so my rating may be unwarrented and I will play on..

imnotageek

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
What a cute game it is! I bought it and tried for a few hours. Stable so far. I set the game on easy mode (erm ... not a skillful gamer as you can see) and I need to redo the third stage (I came really close to clear that off!). I ran out of space to decorate my creature. Duh!

Strange to say, the first stage is my favorite stage so far.

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006

I agree space stage comes pretty fast, once you get there things slow down BUT on easy mode space is a doddle once you figure out what you are doing, One good spice run on my systems will net me around 20 mil, the planets take care of their own defenses now apart from against the the grox... I just run over them every so often to replace any turrets they may lose.

Early capital will come from running missions, but you need to learn how to invest that! Things that are important to earning money is learning how to terraform planets up to T1 status, learning how to affect the temperature and cloud cover and making sure you have a good stock of seeding animals and plants is vital. Keep your colonies close knit, and keep on top of the spice selling, some spices sell for 50,000 a unit! never sell spice for less than 16,000 a unit. When you look at systems on the galaxy map they will tell you what spices the planets in that system produce, dont carry coals to Newcastle, if a planet makes red spice dont try selling them what they already make :D. Also pick new planets for the more valuable spice types!

Once you unlock the terraforming "rays" for your ship terraforming is incredibly easy. My "stock setup" for a new planet is 3 cities, each full turreted 1 factory 2 houses and one entertainment complex in each city - properly laid out so the factory is connected to the two houses directly and the entertainment to one house and the city centre. I then place a spice box to increase spice storeage to 30 units and a "uber turret" which will take care of all but grox invasions. DO NOT pay for repairs, if you are fighting on your own planet let yourself die you will clone to your nearest system (the one you are currently in) and you can just keep coming back at the enemies till their dead.

Different empires sell equipment at different prices and different ranges of equipment shop around! To start with peacefull contact is the best idea. I did find eliminating nearby enemy systems helped reduce attacks to the weaker pirate attacks (enemy systems show up with a large red circle claiming the space around them!

Always repair and recharge at the home base to begin with where its free, fight with lasers they are very effective and dont cost anything but "free energy" to use. The big bombs are fun toys for later when money is no longer any sort of issue. Then you can start to really conquer the galaxy :D. Ive reached the top ranking on the progress meter, but I still havent unlocked all the equipment yet

Ive had fun setting up a secondary mini empire down in grox territory near the centre of the galaxy, I still need to do more flying trips to unlock the 5th drive system though as at the moment the reduced range in the grox homeland is preventing me from finding a good route to the centre of the galaxy.

Seems like theres plenty more to do yet in the game, I think space is probably the best part of the game once you know what everything does and how to play the system. My first 4-5 hours in space I preffered the tidal pool stage! But I restarted a new species straight off at the space level, and went for a more balanced rather than outright hostile approach. I took the time to learn about terraforming.

applebeer

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
If your one of the lucky ones with a computer that likes the game then its awesome, but if your like me and your computer seems to hate every ea game ever made, you might want to wait for a patch or two.

game is really fun, when it works...

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
On my system the game is rock stable. No crashes at all. First day I played 10+ hours to get to the space stage without quitting or crushing.
The gameplay however is a different story. Sometimes it seems boring, sometimes the best game ever... Let me say, it is unusual and similar to other games at the same time. Very difficult to explain.

bjmarler

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Game ran great, no crashes. However, after about 4 hrs I was bored. I guess if you like Sim's type of games you will love this. If you are looking for action then you may or may not.

applebeer

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
^ Applebeer here provides us with a textbook example for an unqualified and useless statement.

(Sorry; had to be said)

How is this an unqualified and useless statement...? this is an opinion not a fact so qualifications has nothing to do with it, and did he not ask for an opinion?
How is the game release like? Is it stable? Fun so far?
with these questions how is my statement useless? in my opinion i answered these questions...

what textbook are you reading from anyways...?