Pavilion 7940 RAM Upgrade Saga - HELP!

Last response: in Computer Brands
a b α HP
July 17, 2004 6:38:07 AM

I'm not sure that anyone would want to take the time to read and think over
this problem, but I am hoping that a saint will provide an answer or at least
some clarity. Many thanks in advance - Bob

HP Pavilion 7940
Intel Pentium III Processor
1.GHz
Windows XP Professional

This is a friend's computer which ran fine, but very, very slowly with the
original 128MB RAM. Replaced the original 128MB RAM chip with a pair of 258MB
chips which is the maximum RAM this pc can take. After the chips were
installed, this DOS screen appears when booting...

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A
recent hardware or software change might have caused this." There are the
following options: SAFE MODE, SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING, SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND
PROMPT, LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION and START WINDOWS NORMALLY. Each option
results in the return to this same screen after very briefly flashing this Blue
Screen error message...

"The BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant. Please contact your
system vendor or visit http://www.hardware-update.com…"

The original BIOS is revision 2.10 - 05/08/01. I went to the HP Support site
and downloaded the BIOS upgrade - revision 3.07 - 09/17/01. Followed the
directions and created a floppy boot disc with the update. When booting with
this floppy as directed, the BIOS update proceeds until the following error
message appears...

"PhoenixPhlash Error: File does not contain the same BIOS part number. Press
any key to reboot." Followed by two beeps.

When it reboots, the following DOS screen appears...

Phoenix BIOS 4.0 Release 6.0.A
510MB Extended RAM passed
256k Cache RAM passed
System BIOS shadowed
Video BIOS shadowed
UMB upper limit segment address: E77B
Mouse initialized
Fixed Disk 0:ST340810A
ATAPI CD-ROM: CR-48x5TE
ATAPI CD-ROM: Pioneer DVD-ROM DVD-116 Atapi Model 0115
System Configuartion Data Updated

ERROR
RESOURCE CONFLICT - PCI NETWORK CONTROLLER in slot 2, BUS: 01, DEVICE: 09,
FUNCTION =00

PRESS F1 TO SETUP, F2 TO RESUME.

I haven't tried F1 because I have no idea what changes to attempt in setup.
F2 results in the same Blue Screen error message ("The BIOS in this system is
not fully ACPI compliant...) followed by the same DOS screen ("We apologize for
the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or
software change might have caused this...")

The computer runs well with one 256MB chip in either of the two slots (I didn't
think a pc would recognize a chip in the second slot only). Each chip works
fine individually.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 17, 2004 8:12:42 AM

**** READ ENTIRE MESSAGE BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE ****

The network card may use some of system RAM as a memory buffer. When you added
the memory, this could have had the effect of leaving a "hole" in memory where
the network card has claimed its piece of memory.

First, remove the network card. The system oughta boot cleanly then with
512MB. Next, remove the C2032 3v lithium battery or use a motherboard jumper to
reset system CMOS. When the system reboots, remove whatever resources are used
by the network card (System icon in Control Panel, then Device Manager tab).

As a safeguard to make sure you bought compatible memory, download and run
MEMTEST-86, the best darn memory diagnostic (and free).

What kind of network card is it??? The specs for the system on the HP web site
do not tell what kind of network card came with the system.

As for the BIOS upgrade, it looks like you tried a BIOS upgrade for a different
model of motherboard. HP made 5 different versions of 7940, for different
countries. HP could well have used different models of motherboard for each.

No matter what, you'll need to press F1 to enter the BIOS setup. Allow the BIOS
setup to take all of the default settings, which should not harm anything.
Adding memory may well have forced the BIOS setup information into a corrupt
state, which would also explain all the weird problems. In fact, try the BIOS
setup before you do anything else outlined above... Ben Myers

.... Ben Myers

!