iPhone Hacker: I'll find a Way to Keep Linux on PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven Bancroft

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I really admire Geohot's dedication to his projects. It's quite possible that Sony is removing the the Install Other OS feature because of his hack (which from what I've heard hasn't produced any sort of piracy yet). Instead of simply walking away, he is dedicating his time and resources to keep people happy. His work with the iPhone is legendary, and now focusing on the PS3 can only bring good things to the community. He doesn't ask for a dime and has refused to sell his hacks for $10,000+ offers. This is why I love grey hat hackers. Keep up the good work Geohot!

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
And hacking ruins something else.

Maybe at some point people will realize that all this hacking and jacking and pirating is hurting us all much more than it's helping.

G

I figured it had much to do with this. Oh well. I don't mind the update.

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
I wonder if this guy has a job, or does he live with his mom who has no clue how to operate a computer. I think the latter, just because he blogs about his potential conquests...

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I won't be personally. I didn't even attempt to install Linux on my Fat until I heard it would be removed, since I hadn't really had the time to tinker. But I installed it the other day, and learned a bit about using Dualshock 3 controllers with Linux over bluetooth, so while I don't have a BT dongle for my current desktop, when I get one, it's something I look forward too.

I will wait a few weeks (considering he did the crack in 5 weeks that no one else could) and if there isn't anything fruitful I'll upgrade.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Do you think we'll ever get to the point that people will just realize they can't control every bit/byte of data on things they manufacture/sell? It's amazing to me that this affects such a small user base and isn't really even a threat, yet it's a become a battle.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Hacking isn't the cause of this,and consoles aren't junk, they have a purpose and do it well, in the case of the PS3, awesome media player, not so much with games though.

Even if he hadn't created the hack Sony would have done this, those that believe otherwise obviously are new to Sony's antics.

I have Linux on two of my PS3's, just cause I can, I rarely use it, but it's fun to do so from time to time. Will I be upset about loosing support for it? No, do I think it's right? No.

As usual Sony is doing the WRONG thing after coming up with a good piece of equipment. They are 100% consistent with this, and I don't see them changing.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]i know a way of keeping Linux on the PS3. Don't update the firmware!!!!![/citation]
Well, if you dont update, you dont get to play online, play games that require this specific firmware, no chatting, no PSN, and a bunch of other stuff. So most users will have no choice but to update.

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]huron[/nom]Do you think we'll ever get to the point that people will just realize they can't control every bit/byte of data on things they manufacture/sell? It's amazing to me that this affects such a small user base and isn't really even a threat, yet it's a become a battle.[/citation]

Sony isn't doing this because they are control freaks. They're doing it because they don't want to deal with the security risks that come with allowing a different OS on their console.

Having Linux ona a PS3 was/is a luxury, Sony never said that they would fully support it so for all you PS3 junkies that cannot live without Linux, there is something called a PC, build one install Linux and stop complaining, lol..

[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]Well, if you dont update, you dont get to play online, play games that require this specific firmware, no chatting, no PSN, and a bunch of other stuff. So most users will have no choice but to update.[/citation]

the headline is "i'll find a way to keep Linux on the PS3" not i'll find a way to keep linux on the ps3 and keep you playing games, etc, etc.

just choose one. would you rather have a useless OS or use the console for what it was intended for!!!!

man i hate people

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
This is easy decision... do you use PS3 to play game and watch BluRay or do you use PS3 for Linux?

If you choose the former, then update.
If you choose the latter, then wait for his patch.
If you say both, then wait for his patch.

EvilMonk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I won't update my PS3 FAT, I can still play all my games on my PS3 Slim but I just wish for GeoHot to release something that can take advantage of his exploit on the PS3.

rockinthepe

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
it's unethical to pull supported features after a product has been bought, Chevy cant recall Camaros to limit top speed to 60 mph and threaten to void your warranty if you don't comply. Some people bought the ps3 because its sony, some bought it for the games, some bought it for the features. there's a very thick line between companies protecting their rights/interests and violating the rights of the consumer, this is yet another step over that VERY thick line. for $350 people don't intend to "rent" rights to a video game council they expect that they own it, that it's their property. this is exactly how con-artists operate, the only difference between them and sony is that sony isn't prosecuted. I don't own a PS3 i'm just tired of seeing consumers being taken advantage of every chance anyone gets. my 2 cents on the issue.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Well first Hotz needs to make a software hack, right? Now he wants to skip hacking the PS3, but make a new hack that doesn't remove Linux support? Right?

Ambictus

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]the headline is "i'll find a way to keep Linux on the PS3" not i'll find a way to keep linux on the ps3 and keep you playing games, etc, etc.just choose one. would you rather have a useless OS or use the console for what it was intended for!!!!man i hate people[/citation]

Yeah, I agree. I hate people that work to allow creative freedom... what are they thinking??

Why would you hate someone that doesn't affect you? If YOU update and play your games then what effect is his hacking to you? None? Yeah, that's what I thought. Good reason to hate someone.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Personally I'm going to put on a penguin outfit and don a hand made pointed tinfoil hat and protest the nearest Best Buy for removing this major feature from my PS3. Now all I am left with is playing games, watching Blue Ray movies and streaming media. OMG!

wavebossa

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Curse you Sony for updating your product to get rid of an exploit!!! How unethical!!! How vile and malicious for a company to remove a feature that they introduced and provided in the first place!!!

I swear, u guys act like Sony owes you guys something here. If Sony says no more OtherOS, deal with it. They made the PS3, not you, and they can disable whatever features they damn well please if they believe it hurts their bottom line. If you want it so much, go make your own PS3 to run linux on...

The sense of entitlement some people have is truely mindboggiling.

wavebossa

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
[citation][nom]rockinthepe[/nom]it's unethical to pull supported features after a product has been bought, Chevy cant recall Camaros to limit top speed to 60 mph and threaten to void your warranty if you don't comply. Some people bought the ps3 because its sony, some bought it for the games, some bought it for the features. there's a very thick line between companies protecting their rights/interests and violating the rights of the consumer, this is yet another step over that VERY thick line. for $350 people don't intend to "rent" rights to a video game council they expect that they own it, that it's their property. this is exactly how con-artists operate, the only difference between them and sony is that sony isn't prosecuted. I don't own a PS3 i'm just tired of seeing consumers being taken advantage of every chance anyone gets. my 2 cents on the issue.[/citation]

You are talking about a coded feature like if it was the transmission in car, lmao. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about, those rules do not apply whatsoever...

You cant buy a book and say that "this work is mine, therefore it should be legal for me to plagerize it!" You cant buy windows 7 and claim the rights to the coding that created internet explorer just because you own the product.

I'm sorry and i do not want to sound mean, but, you really need to re-educate yourself in this matter if you think Sony has done something illegal and unethical here...

Status
Not open for further replies.