Guest Accounts and Internet Access

I am using XP Pro. I connect to the internet using DSL, with a dedicated DSL
modem which my system recognizes as a network connection.

If I am not already connected to the internet, there is no way to connect
from the Guest account. There is no option for doing so on the Start menu;
and if I pull up the Control Panel and Network Connections, there is nothing
listed.

However, if I am already connected to the internet (through another,
non-Guest account), then the Guest account can access the internet.

I have looked through the on-line help, and can find nothing on this. Can
anyone tell me how to give a Guest the ability to connect to the internet?

Thanks.

Hi rdarmand,

The inability of the Guest Account to directly connect to the internet is by
design. The workaround that you have been using is the only way that the
Guest Account can access the internet.

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"rdarmand" <rdarmand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am using XP Pro. I connect to the internet using DSL, with a dedicated
DSL
> modem which my system recognizes as a network connection.
>
> If I am not already connected to the internet, there is no way to connect
> from the Guest account. There is no option for doing so on the Start menu;
> and if I pull up the Control Panel and Network Connections, there is
nothing
> listed.
>
> However, if I am already connected to the internet (through another,
> non-Guest account), then the Guest account can access the internet.
>
> I have looked through the on-line help, and can find nothing on this. Can
> anyone tell me how to give a Guest the ability to connect to the internet?
>
> Thanks.

pop

That's how the internal Guest Account is deisgned to work, and is
a safety mechanism. Since you're on DSL, I would seriously
consider not using Guest Account due to some inherent security
problems. You could, however, create your own Guest Account, and
thus set it up anyway you wish it to be. With proper setup and a
Limited Account, then you have very little chance of picking up
serious damage from the 'net if the guest doesn't know anything
about safe hex. There is also the possibility of using different
Hardware Profiles if you're familiar with them.

Regards,

Pop

"rdarmand" <rdarmand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I am using XP Pro. I connect to the internet using DSL, with a
dedicated DSL
| modem which my system recognizes as a network connection.
|
| If I am not already connected to the internet, there is no way
to connect
| from the Guest account. There is no option for doing so on the
Start menu;
| and if I pull up the Control Panel and Network Connections,
there is nothing
| listed.
|
| However, if I am already connected to the internet (through
another,
| non-Guest account), then the Guest account can access the
internet.

| I have looked through the on-line help, and can find nothing on
this. Can
| anyone tell me how to give a Guest the ability to connect to
the internet?

| Thanks.

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

Happy to find a similar problem already posted. My problem is similar but
I have a dial up connection.

When I first added a guest user (on my new XP) I could access the internet
with that (guest) account. Now I cannot and the internet disconnects if I
switch users anyway, where it did not before. I remember seeing a window
that you could set accesses and make global changes and have found reference
to that in the help menus, but I cannot cannot seem to find that window
anymore.

Glad for the help,

Sherie

"Pop" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> That's how the internal Guest Account is deisgned to work, and is
> a safety mechanism. Since you're on DSL, I would seriously
> consider not using Guest Account due to some inherent security
> problems. You could, however, create your own Guest Account, and
> thus set it up anyway you wish it to be. With proper setup and a
> Limited Account, then you have very little chance of picking up
> serious damage from the 'net if the guest doesn't know anything
> about safe hex. There is also the possibility of using different
> Hardware Profiles if you're familiar with them.
>
> Regards,
>
> Pop
>
> "rdarmand" <rdarmand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> |I am using XP Pro. I connect to the internet using DSL, with a
> dedicated DSL
> | modem which my system recognizes as a network connection.
> |
> | If I am not already connected to the internet, there is no way
> to connect
> | from the Guest account. There is no option for doing so on the
> Start menu;
> | and if I pull up the Control Panel and Network Connections,
> there is nothing
> | listed.
> |
> | However, if I am already connected to the internet (through
> another,
> | non-Guest account), then the Guest account can access the
> internet.
> |
> | I have looked through the on-line help, and can find nothing on
> this. Can
> | anyone tell me how to give a Guest the ability to connect to
> the internet?
> |
> | Thanks.

Hi Sherie,

You could try this tweak (courtesy of Kelly Theriot) to keep connected to
the internet when using Fast User Switching:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm (line 32, left-hand
side -->Keep Ras Connection)

Regards,