Guest Accounts and Internet Access

I am using XP Pro. I connect to the internet using DSL, with a dedicated DSL
modem which my system recognizes as a network connection.

If I am not already connected to the internet, there is no way to connect
from the Guest account. There is no option for doing so on the Start menu;
and if I pull up the Control Panel and Network Connections, there is nothing
listed.

However, if I am already connected to the internet (through another,
non-Guest account), then the Guest account can access the internet.

I have looked through the on-line help, and can find nothing on this. Can
anyone tell me how to give a Guest the ability to connect to the internet?

Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about guest accounts internet access

    Hi rdarmand,

    The inability of the Guest Account to directly connect to the internet is by
    design. The workaround that you have been using is the only way that the
    Guest Account can access the internet.

    Regards,

    --
    Patti MacLeod
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "rdarmand" <rdarmand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am using XP Pro. I connect to the internet using DSL, with a dedicated
    DSL
    > modem which my system recognizes as a network connection.
    >
    > If I am not already connected to the internet, there is no way to connect
    > from the Guest account. There is no option for doing so on the Start menu;
    > and if I pull up the Control Panel and Network Connections, there is
    nothing
    > listed.
    >
    > However, if I am already connected to the internet (through another,
    > non-Guest account), then the Guest account can access the internet.
    >
    > I have looked through the on-line help, and can find nothing on this. Can
    > anyone tell me how to give a Guest the ability to connect to the internet?
    >
    > Thanks.

    That's how the internal Guest Account is deisgned to work, and is
    a safety mechanism. Since you're on DSL, I would seriously
    consider not using Guest Account due to some inherent security
    problems. You could, however, create your own Guest Account, and
    thus set it up anyway you wish it to be. With proper setup and a
    Limited Account, then you have very little chance of picking up
    serious damage from the 'net if the guest doesn't know anything
    about safe hex. There is also the possibility of using different
    Hardware Profiles if you're familiar with them.

    Regards,

    Pop

    "rdarmand" <rdarmand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    |I am using XP Pro. I connect to the internet using DSL, with a
    dedicated DSL
    | modem which my system recognizes as a network connection.
    |
    | If I am not already connected to the internet, there is no way
    to connect
    | from the Guest account. There is no option for doing so on the
    Start menu;
    | and if I pull up the Control Panel and Network Connections,
    there is nothing
    | listed.
    |
    | However, if I am already connected to the internet (through
    another,
    | non-Guest account), then the Guest account can access the
    internet.

    | I have looked through the on-line help, and can find nothing on
    this. Can
    | anyone tell me how to give a Guest the ability to connect to
    the internet?

    | Thanks.

    Happy to find a similar problem already posted. My problem is similar but
    I have a dial up connection.

    When I first added a guest user (on my new XP) I could access the internet
    with that (guest) account. Now I cannot and the internet disconnects if I
    switch users anyway, where it did not before. I remember seeing a window
    that you could set accesses and make global changes and have found reference
    to that in the help menus, but I cannot cannot seem to find that window
    anymore.

    Glad for the help,

    Sherie

    "Pop" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > That's how the internal Guest Account is deisgned to work, and is
    > a safety mechanism. Since you're on DSL, I would seriously
    > consider not using Guest Account due to some inherent security
    > problems. You could, however, create your own Guest Account, and
    > thus set it up anyway you wish it to be. With proper setup and a
    > Limited Account, then you have very little chance of picking up
    > serious damage from the 'net if the guest doesn't know anything
    > about safe hex. There is also the possibility of using different
    > Hardware Profiles if you're familiar with them.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Pop
    >
    > "rdarmand" <rdarmand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > |I am using XP Pro. I connect to the internet using DSL, with a
    > dedicated DSL
    > | modem which my system recognizes as a network connection.
    > |
    > | If I am not already connected to the internet, there is no way
    > to connect
    > | from the Guest account. There is no option for doing so on the
    > Start menu;
    > | and if I pull up the Control Panel and Network Connections,
    > there is nothing
    > | listed.
    > |
    > | However, if I am already connected to the internet (through
    > another,
    > | non-Guest account), then the Guest account can access the
    > internet.
    > |
    > | I have looked through the on-line help, and can find nothing on
    > this. Can
    > | anyone tell me how to give a Guest the ability to connect to
    > the internet?
    > |
    > | Thanks.

    Hi Sherie,

    You could try this tweak (courtesy of Kelly Theriot) to keep connected to
    the internet when using Fast User Switching:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm (line 32, left-hand
    side -->Keep Ras Connection)

    Regards,

    --

    "Dennis" <dwillis@amaonline.com> wrote in message
    > Happy to find a similar problem already posted. My problem is similar
    but
    > I have a dial up connection.
    >
    > When I first added a guest user (on my new XP) I could access the internet
    > with that (guest) account. Now I cannot and the internet disconnects if I
    > switch users anyway, where it did not before. I remember seeing a window
    > that you could set accesses and make global changes and have found
    reference
    > to that in the help menus, but I cannot cannot seem to find that window
    > anymore.
    >
    > Glad for the help,
    >
    > Sherie
    >
    > "Pop" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > > That's how the internal Guest Account is deisgned to work, and is
    > > a safety mechanism. Since you're on DSL, I would seriously
    > > consider not using Guest Account due to some inherent security
    > > problems. You could, however, create your own Guest Account, and
    > > thus set it up anyway you wish it to be. With proper setup and a
    > > Limited Account, then you have very little chance of picking up
    > > serious damage from the 'net if the guest doesn't know anything
    > > about safe hex. There is also the possibility of using different
    > > Hardware Profiles if you're familiar with them.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Pop
    > >
    > > "rdarmand" <rdarmand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > |I am using XP Pro. I connect to the internet using DSL, with a
    > > dedicated DSL
    > > | modem which my system recognizes as a network connection.
    > > |
    > > | If I am not already connected to the internet, there is no way
    > > to connect
    > > | from the Guest account. There is no option for doing so on the
    > > Start menu;
    > > | and if I pull up the Control Panel and Network Connections,
    > > there is nothing
    > > | listed.
    > > |
    > > | However, if I am already connected to the internet (through
    > > another,
    > > | non-Guest account), then the Guest account can access the
    > > internet.
    > > |
    > > | I have looked through the on-line help, and can find nothing on
    > > this. Can
    > > | anyone tell me how to give a Guest the ability to connect to
    > > the internet?
    > > |
    > > | Thanks.

Internet Access Connection Internet Windows XP