nforce2 memory question

alc101ma

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
To take advantage of the 'twin memory controllers' of the nforce2 chipset, which 2 ram banks should I populate? It is 1 and 2 or 2 and 3? Specifially, I have the Epox 8RDA.

Thanks guys.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
OK, the way they normally do it (you should double check the manual) is: There are 2 memory controllers. One of them controls the "lone slot" and the other controls the "pair of slots". As long as you put one stick into each memory controller, you're running dual channel.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Anthony1234

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
So in other words you need to put one in the "lone" slot and one in either one of the "pair" slots. Then why do they have 3 DIMMs? The third one left behind can't "Dual" with anything. Or can you put two stripcs half the size in MB compared to the "lone" one?

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
The third is still dual. The pair is operating on a separate controller from the lone stick.

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>

Anthony1234

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
Yes but I was just asking what would you buy, actually considering the boards out there (and yeah yeah yeah the sis 655 that WILL be available soon) and considering also if you prefer a amd or intel platform for gaming etc. Also what features the boards available int hose chipsets have. For example i850e boards do not have AGP8x etc.

The only thing we don't consider is the price. :D

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
To use dual channel ddr on the asus A7N8X, you put your TWO ram modules in the blue dimm slots.

<b><font color=red>Nothin like a Pentium II furiously churning out a blistering 0.8 FPS on 3D Mark 2001!!!</font color=red></b>

Anthony1234

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
Yes and? Not sure what you're getting at.

Actually blue is kinda misleading because there are boards like the MP-k79 (or something) nforce2 from magic-pro where they use yellow instead. what do you guys think of magic-pro boards?

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
I was answering your question about the third memory slot.

Then why do they have 3 DIMMs? The third one left behind can't "Dual" with anything.
It can still "Dual" with the lone slot. With three DIMMS you are still using two memory controllers. :eek:

Yes but I was just asking what would you buy, actually considering the boards out there (and yeah yeah yeah the sis 655 that WILL be available soon) and considering also if you prefer a amd or intel platform for gaming etc. Also what features the boards available int hose chipsets have. For example i850e boards do not have AGP8x etc.
I would buy an nForce2 setup. After the next SIS chipset comes out I would reevaluate. Of course there are circumstances where I would go w/ the P4 now also. It depends on what you do.

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>