XP Upgrade Advisor Blocking Issue ??

Setup found some issues that will prevent you from upgrading your
Windows installation. You must fix all of these issues before you can
upgrade to Windows XP.

Installation Requirements
-------------------------

Unsupported Operating System Version

The version of Windows running is not supported. Setup can only
upgrade official releases. Setup will now exit.

~~~~

I am running Win 98 SE.

That is supported isn't it?

FACE

Did you pay for your copy of Windows 98?

Ted Zieglar

"FACE" <AFaceInTheCrowd@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Setup found some issues that will prevent you from upgrading your
> Windows installation. You must fix all of these issues before you can
> upgrade to Windows XP.
>
> Installation Requirements
> -------------------------
>
> Unsupported Operating System Version
>
> The version of Windows running is not supported. Setup can only
> upgrade official releases. Setup will now exit.
>
> ~~~~
>
> I am running Win 98 SE.
>
> That is supported isn't it?
>
> FACE

Yes. When i bought the machine.

FACE

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 19:10:16 -0500, FACE <AFaceInTheCrowd@bellsouth.net> in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers wrote:

>Setup found some issues that will prevent you from upgrading your
>Windows installation. You must fix all of these issues before you can
>upgrade to Windows XP.
>
>Installation Requirements
>-------------------------
>
>Unsupported Operating System Version
>
> The version of Windows running is not supported. Setup can only
> upgrade official releases. Setup will now exit.
>
>~~~~
>
>I am running Win 98 SE.
>
>That is supported isn't it?
>
>FACE

Someone asked me if I had paid for the OS, which is Win 98 SE.

It got me to thinking.

Yes I did when i bought the nearly machine from a now defunct local computer
store. IOW, it was used (return) and had the OS on it when I bought it.

I don't really know the history of this OS prior to when I purchased the
machine (P4, etc.).

I did get a WINDOWS disk and key. Last January, I even reinstalled it when
it appeared totally broke and i would assume that it phoned home at that
time and i would have been alerted if anything was amiss. Also, I have
downloaded and installed all security updates from MS and i would guess that
it also phoned home at that time.

Also, in one corner of the HD, I have DOS 6.22 laying in a
sub-sub-sub-directory. It gave me a warning "issue" on that -- but could
that be causing the "unsupported version" problem?

System Properties tells me that it is Win 98 SE, registered version,
4.10.2222 A.

But, if it was an unauthorized install shouldn't Upgrade Advisor have given
me a better alert "blocking issue" than that?

FACE

"...i would assume that it phoned home at that time and i would have been
alerted if anything was amiss..."

Not correct. Product activation began with Windows XP. Prior to that time,
Windows was widely pirated.