Farcry2 due Oct 23...pretty stoked!

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
I guess I better pull out Far Cry and finally finish the last end of it; guess there's no relation story-wise but I like to finish my projects.

I was thinking about the original:

I started it originally on a 5700 LE, played most of it with a 7600 GT, and I'll try to finish it on an 8800 Ultra.

3 pretty big GPU leaps during the playthrough of a single game.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007

That would be pretty amazing but they haven't been boasting anything about DX10 graphics. Although I am just speculating, I bet it doesn't even have a DX10 version. They are really pushing the game engine and the fire and wind crap, not so much advanced visuals. I am expecting something on the COD4 level....runs at max settings with room to spare on mid range cards.

That is what I thought too. Turns into a zombie horror game where you just run around and shotgun anything that moves. The African setting has me really excited. One of the biggest disappointments that I had with Crysis (and Warhead) is that it looks just like FarCry. I am really glad that there is a completely different setting now rather than the green jungle island. Hopefully it is a reflection of a new and improved gameplay as well.

So I hear Ubi could use either SecuRom or Tages. Just another forum speculation.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

Quote:

"Ubisoft has developed a new engine specifically for Far Cry 2, called Dunia, meaning "world" or "earth" in many languages including Persian, Turkish, Arabic, Hindi, Urdu, Punjabi, Marathi, Bengali, Swahili, Assyrian, Indonesian and Malay. The engine will take advantage of multi-core processors as well as mulituple processors and support DirectX 9 as well as DirectX 10."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_Cry_2

How credible it is...I am unsure, but I do seem to remember reading an interview, which of course I can no longer find, where the dev said that it would be in DX10 as well (didnt say anything about 10.1) and that it looked considerably better on PC (of course). I would be very surprised if this did not tax the system more than CoD 4, but we will know soon enough.

Best,

3Ball

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Waiting for reviews on this one. . . Though it does look promising, and I think that Ubisoft canned 10.1 after AC, although it would be great if it did. I know it really helped in AC with my ATI card.

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008

I'd imagine the console version will be running in dx9 mode, so it'll probably still include a lot of nice visual features.

Anything which utilizes dx10 features is going to tax your system a great deal more, but I would imagine the game would still look great on PC in dx9 mode, still better than the console version.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

Yea I would imagine so. Even Call of Duty 4 nearly doubles in picture quality on a capable PC. My machine is runnin vista, so I sure hope that the DX10 version is programmed well.

Best,

3Ball

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

And Vista 64 Bits. Please. We are all using x86-64 CPUs, can we have more 64 bits games ? pl0x ? And they are here for a long time now.