Daniel

I just bought a new IBM T42 with Windows XP preinstalled. I would like to do
a clean reinstall the whole operating system WinXP with a CD without any IBM
software on it. However, it is against IBM policy to provide such a Win XP
CD. A friend of mine told me that in the past with your Windows serial number
you could download a clean version from the MS website. Is that still the
case? If yes, could someone tell me link to the download? If no, how can I
get hold of WinXP CD for my serial number? many thanks, Daniel

Windows of any version has never been available for download. You need to
purchase a copy. Is this a laptop? If so, I'd be very, very cautious
before trying to do a clean install. You may not have drivers for all the
hardware on the machine. Why not just go to Control Panel, Add/Remove
programs and uninstall those things you do not want?
--
Patty MacDuffie
www.computerhaven.info

"Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just bought a new IBM T42 with Windows XP preinstalled. I would like to
>do
> a clean reinstall the whole operating system WinXP with a CD without any
> IBM
> software on it. However, it is against IBM policy to provide such a Win XP
> CD. A friend of mine told me that in the past with your Windows serial
> number
> you could download a clean version from the MS website. Is that still the
> case? If yes, could someone tell me link to the download? If no, how can I
> get hold of WinXP CD for my serial number? many thanks, Daniel

dude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hey ... I have a older ibm computer which i had windows 98
preinstall , If i was you just use the product recovery cd
disc from ibm , And afterward you can just uninstall ibm
programs which i also did , Again though i wouldn't remove
to many ibm programs if i was you ... After so many years
that has gone by now with my ibm computer i still find my
ibm computer works really good and i am glad that i did
purchase an ibm computer , it still kick @ss ... Just my 2cents

It was never true before, and it's not true now. You'll have to purchase a
Windows CD.

You will find it more cost-effective (and sensible) to simply uninstall any
software you do not wish to use.

Ted Zieglar

Daniel wrote:
> I just bought a new IBM T42 with Windows XP preinstalled. I would
> like to do a clean reinstall the whole operating system WinXP with a
> CD without any IBM software on it. However, it is against IBM policy
> to provide such a Win XP CD. A friend of mine told me that in the
> past with your Windows serial number you could download a clean
> version from the MS website. Is that still the case? If yes, could
> someone tell me link to the download? If no, how can I get hold of
> WinXP CD for my serial number? many thanks, Daniel

The only way to legally download any Windows version would be through a MSDN
subscription. This is not usually an option that makes sense for the average
user because of the high cost of the subscription.
Due to the proprietary nature of the hardware on a laptop, it is not always
the best idea to use a non-vendor supplied OS. You will usually lose some
functionality when you use a non-vendor supplied OS. Most of the "junk" that
is bundled from the vendors can be removed from Add/Remove and what is not
easily remove is usually tied to the special functionality built into the
laptop.
Not being familiar with the IBM restore procedure, make sure you have a way
to return the system to it's original shipped configuration in case you need
to access IBM's support or if you purchased extended support. Usually
support is voided when a system is altered from the original configuration
and will need to be returned to the original shipped state for support.
A couple of options I recommend is to replace the hard drive on laptops when
you want to get rid of the factory bundled software or image the hard drive
to CDRW, DVDRW or other suitable backup media.
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com