Sign in with
Your question

Crysis won't start in DX10

Last response: in Video Games
September 13, 2008 3:05:21 AM

Hey all,

Having a problem here. Just got a new system built and am running a 4870x2 with the 8.522.0.0 drivers (can't seem to update them). Anyway, whenever I go into the games folder and right click the crysis icon and choose "Play DX10" a small black box flashes, and thats it. If I run the DX9 version, the same box flashes, but the screen goes completely black afterwords, and the game runs. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this?

Vista HP 64 bit
4870x2
4gb G skill ram
Q 6600

Thanks

More about : crysis start dx10

September 13, 2008 4:43:40 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I have downloaded the suite and just the DD twice each and I cant install them. When I do, upon restart the windows log in screen is completely black, so I have to navigate to the password box by moving my mouse around till the arrow turns into the text line. Once I enter my PW, windows opens and everything works but it show me still having the old drivers. I cant understand this one bit.
Related resources
September 13, 2008 10:22:10 AM

I just checked and it seems Catalyst 8.8 actually includes the 8.522 display driver, which is the latest one it seems. So your drivers are actually up to date.

You can find it in the release notes here:
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/gam...

I took it upon myself to check around and see if anyone else experienced a similar problem not being able not to play Crysis in DX10 with the same card on Vista 64, but haven't come across anyone that did.

Do other games work fine in DX10 mode? Perhaps a re-install of DX10 might help.
You could also try eliminating all unnecessary background processes just in case it was something interfering with the game.
Re-installing the game isn't a bad idea, as well.
September 14, 2008 1:28:57 AM

I had the same problem with Crysis a while back with my 8800GTX. What I realized is that in the games folder of I just double clicked the icon it always messed up some way but if I clicked, waited, then clicked again it would run fine. also, try updating crysis to the latest patch. My problem got solved when i did this. The rest of my specs are exactly the same except I have ultimate 64-bit.
September 14, 2008 7:33:38 PM

Thanks for the replies all. I spent a few hours with an actually quite knowledgeable geek squad agent at best buy and we were able to solve a few of my problems. For this particular one (crysis in 10) we we befuddled for the better part of two hours. We opened the properties windows of the icon in the games folder, re routed the dc10 command to all of the different launch icons in my crysis folder (crysis, cysis64, and cysis.exe, crysis32.exe) and the strangest thing happened. Since we didn't bother with the 32 bit icons until the very end, we thought it was hopeless. As a last ditch effort, we went into the Crysis 32 bit folder (not launch from games folder) and the normal icon booted it in dx10. Could anyone be so kind as to inform me on how this is even possible? Firstly, I was under the impression that dx10 wasn't even available in 32 bit. Nevertheless, when I boot it, the "Very High" setting is available, which only confirms the task managers process claiming dx10 is running. I've reinstalled crysis twice and the only thing I can think is that either my system has gotten the files mixed up EVERYTIME, or my disc is telling it to install the files in the opposite folders (32bit game in 64 folder) Any light that can be shed on this issue would be great. I bought another dx10 game at best buy yesterday, as I was thinking the same thing, test it with a diff. app. I am installing it as I type this and will post back when I see if it can run in DX 10 (going to test Alone in the Dark, if that makes any difference)
Thanks
September 14, 2008 10:01:28 PM

I installed Alone in the Dark, but for some reason, when I went to the "Games" folder to start it in DX10, all of my games were gone. Only the windows packaged games were showing. I ran Alone in the Dark from the default icon and it would run, but the graphics were kind of skippy. I also tested crysis further and found a similar problem. When no enemies are on screen, it performs great, however as soon as action starts, it drops in frames quite a bit. I'm unsure of the exact rate, but it is def. below the 30fps max that the eye can see, or whatever the number is. I've also found another problem which is a bit hard to explain. Whenever I do a search in google, random characters will have a colored background on them. Like if I type "jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj" in the search box, a red rectangle will appear behind the letters, or if I type "iiiiiii" a green one will be there. Not sure if this is indicative of a faulty card, but I know my performance should be alot better. Conan is only giving 30ish FPS on high settings, and it should be much more. Any ideas?
September 15, 2008 12:43:53 AM

You're right, you should be getting much better performance than this.
People with a 4870x2 at HardForum reported getting framerates in excess of 40 FPS @ 1920*1200, all Very High DX10 with 8x AA (!).

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1338947

Your problem seems weird, though. It could be that the card is faulty, but instead of jumping right to that, why not see what else it may be?

Are you absolutely sure it's Vista 64 you have and not 32-bit? That Crysis bit was weird, and I don't believe the installation can mess something like this up, since you pretty much get what everyone else gets on the DVD (same contents, same installation package). If you had that problem, then at least a bunch of us should as well, I'd think.

BTW, in response to one of your questions, DX10 is available on Vista regardless of whether it's a 32-bit or 64-bit version.

Could you post a shot of that browser problem? Sounds pretty weird.

Also, try running the Crysis GPU benchmark. That should give you a clear indication of how much you're getting, rather than just relying on your eyes. You could also use FRAPS in-game, instead.
I don't recall you mentioned installing the Crysis updates, so be sure to install those.

Have you tried running 3DMark 06, BTW? Download it, run it, and see what score you get and compare it with other people's scores with similar systems.

Have you checked your card's clocks? It could be underclocked for some reason.

Do you notice artifacts at all in games? Usually, if a GPU is faulty it should show especially when the card's stressed.

One more question, is your CPU overclocked? If not, consider overclocking it to around 3Ghz or more. With a card like this, it will make quite a difference in perfomance.

September 15, 2008 8:07:38 AM

Are you absolutely sure it's Vista 64 you have and not 32-bit?

Yes. I had thought the same thing, but I verified it in many different folders, and it does indeed appear to be 64.

DX10 is available on Vista regardless of whether it's a 32-bit or 64-bit version.

That is saddening news, as I had hoped I was actually able to finally play the dx10 64 version. : (

Could you post a shot of that browser problem?

I will try to do that as soon as possible, though I'm not overly familiar with shots outside of games. As I said, it it the coloring of the background of letters, or in some instances, the outline of the letters, throughout the page. This only furthers my suspicion that the card may be bad.

Also, try running the Crysis GPU benchmark

Ran it, and averaged roughly 23 fps. It got as high as 70, but during any of the fairly intense sequences, it dropped to the 10-12 area.

Have you tried running 3DMark 06

Not yet. I am getting it, and will post my results once ran.

Have you checked your card's clocks?

Both seem to be at the stock rate of 750.

Do you notice artifacts at all in games?

Not that I have noticed. There is quite a bit of tearing though. .

is your CPU overclocked?

Yes, though it wasn't at the time I made this thread. It is currently around 3.1, but an error occurred during the tests, so it may have to go lower. It did bump m performance slightly, but the card is still outputting disappointing numbers.

Thank you very much for spending the time to be so in depth. I certainly hope I am able to get this corrected. My CPU's return deadline is in 2 days, so I am hoping to have an answer by then. If I can't get this sorted out, looks like I will have to either return the items or sell them. Not all of the problems can be the vid. cards fault I don't think. Not starting Crysis in Dx10 for 64 would seem to be a windows issue from my view. Maybe I just got extremely unlucky and was shipped a bad hdd, windows disc, cpu AND gpu! : ( Wouldn't surprise me tbh.

September 15, 2008 6:57:53 PM

Ph0enix33 said:
That is saddening news, as I had hoped I was actually able to finally play the dx10 64 version. : (

Nothing to be sad about. It's the same DX10 in both versions.
Ph0enix33 said:
I will try to do that as soon as possible, though I'm not overly familiar with shots outside of games. As I said, it it the coloring of the background of letters, or in some instances, the outline of the letters, throughout the page. This only furthers my suspicion that the card may be bad.

Use the PrtScn button, open up MS Paint, and press Ctrl+V and voila.
It is a big possibility that the GPU may be faulty from what you're describing, but the weird thing is that you don't mention noticing any other sign of possible GPU failure, besides the low performance.
Ph0enix33 said:
Ran it, and averaged roughly 23 fps. It got as high as 70, but during any of the fairly intense sequences, it dropped to the 10-12 area.

Definitely doesn't sound right.
Ph0enix33 said:
Both seem to be at the stock rate of 750.

There is a feature called ATi Powerplay that underclocks that card to save power in 2D mode.
Are you sure the clocks fire up once you run a 3D application?
Ph0enix33 said:
Not that I have noticed. There is quite a bit of tearing though. .

That's normal and has more to do with the monitor than the card itself.
Enabling Vsync will solve that, but it will also limit the frames to your monitor's refresh rate.
Ph0enix33 said:
Yes, though it wasn't at the time I made this thread. It is currently around 3.1, but an error occurred during the tests, so it may have to go lower. It did bump m performance slightly, but the card is still outputting disappointing numbers.

Be sure to finetune the overclock and get it stable.
As I said before, try getting it to at least 3Ghz to have it keep up with the card.
Ph0enix33 said:
Thank you very much for spending the time to be so in depth. I certainly hope I am able to get this corrected. My CPU's return deadline is in 2 days, so I am hoping to have an answer by then. If I can't get this sorted out, looks like I will have to either return the items or sell them. Not all of the problems can be the vid. cards fault I don't think. Not starting Crysis in Dx10 for 64 would seem to be a windows issue from my view. Maybe I just got extremely unlucky and was shipped a bad hdd, windows disc, cpu AND gpu! : ( Wouldn't surprise me tbh.

I REALLY doubt that.
You'd know if you had a bad HDD, trust me, it would have given you problems from the get-go (Windows not installing right, LONG loading times, LONG installation times, constant grinding and very frequent freezing).
For the CPU, just test with P95 or Orthos at stock and see if it gives you any errors. Not to mention you'd also be noticing it if the CPU was bad (BSoDs, freezing, restarts, etc...).
If the Windows disc was also corrupt, your optical drive wouldn't have been able to read it in the first place.
As for the GPU, right now that's probably the only hardware problem that I can see being likely.

Some things to think about:
Are your CPU/GPU temps within spec?
You could also try testing the GPU with ATItool's built-in Artifact Scanner. It should report errors if the card is bad, and it will also push the card enough for you to see if it's overheating or not.

If nothing definitive turns out, you could try the card in another machine, or try another card in yours.

It might be worthwhile to re-install Vista. A pain, I know, but if the problem is indeed from Vista or some other piece of software, a re-install might solve it.

Hope that helps.

September 15, 2008 8:06:21 PM

Are you sure the clocks fire up once you run a 3D application?

How would I check this?

Be sure to finetune the overclock and get it stable.
As I said before, try getting it to at least 3Ghz to have it keep up with the card.

I thought it was stable at 3.08, as it passed the overnight stress test with 0 errors, but just as I was reading your response a couple of minutes ago, I got a blue screen of death, so I am dropping it to 3.0 and hope it sticks.

Both temps seem to be fine. I may need to turn up the fans on the vid card, but not by much. I also ran the ATiTool, and didn't get any artifacting at all. The temps went up to 74 degrees on the GPU (Dispio), 79 on shadercore, and 93 degrees on (Memio) whatever those mean. I did find something interesting though. At the bottom of GPU Z, where you select the card, I have 2 options for the x2, which I assume are the 2 cores. When running the test, only 1 had temps actually rise, while the other stayed at the 40 degree idle area. Is this indicative of only 1 core working?
September 16, 2008 5:34:59 PM

Ph0enix33 said:
How would I check this?

You should be able to verify it in CCC, or maybe even GPU-Z.

Ph0enix33 said:
I thought it was stable at 3.08, as it passed the overnight stress test with 0 errors, but just as I was reading your response a couple of minutes ago, I got a blue screen of death, so I am dropping it to 3.0 and hope it sticks.

Did you do a Blend Test or just a small FFT CPU test?
If you have the RAM overclocked, as well, be sure to do a Blend Test, and make sure to have all four cores worked when testing.
Although, I don't see why you'd need the RAM overclocked to get a decent overclock on the CPU. You can get, for example, 3.6Ghz with the Q6600 using the highest multiplier (400*9) without needing anything more than 800Mhz RAM, so just choose a memory divider that'll keep your memory at its stock speed.
For example, 333*9 gives you 3Ghz, right? If you run the memory divider at 1:1, you'll have your RAM underclocked to 667Mhz. If you run it at 2:3, you'll have your RAM running at 1000Mhz, and so on and so forth. So just use whatever divider gives you your stock RAM speed (or the closest to it) at whatever FSB freqeuncy you're at.

Ph0enix33 said:
I did find something interesting though. At the bottom of GPU Z, where you select the card, I have 2 options for the x2, which I assume are the 2 cores. When running the test, only 1 had temps actually rise, while the other stayed at the 40 degree idle area. Is this indicative of only 1 core working?

I honestly don't know as I've never personally used GPU-Z or an X2 card for that matter, but from the sounds of it, it could be. I don't know if it's even possible to disable the on-board CF on an X2 card, but if it were, you should be able to enable it from the drivers (assuming it was disabled somehow in the first place).

Also, something just came up on my mind is the PCI-E slot bandwidth. Make sure it's running at x16. You can check this by using CPU-Z.

I would also suggest posting a thread in the hardware forums as you'll get many more responses from different people that might be able to help you more than I can.

!