Asus A7N8X networking ports

bellaspider

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2003
I've been reading up on the A7N8X and noticed it has 2 networking ports. Now excuse my ignorance, but do I still need to buy a 10/100 netword card for ADSL Internet access??
Thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No. In fact if you want to use your system as a router for a bunch of other systems hooked up to the same ADSL line, you could plug the ADSL modem into one network port and use the other to distribute the connection through your local network.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

sayla

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
Hello.

Even more you can use two network ports as one network bridge with Microsoft Windows XP professional.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
not sure if a bridge is a practical application for the A7N8X Deluxe. Besides, switches have basically superceded bridges. Router (like crash said) is a reasonable idea.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
hey Crashman!

So that is really do-able? So my rj-45 cable from my ADSL modem in to one of my ports, and what, just another rj-45 out from the second and into another comps 10/100 port? What software or windows setups do you need to do to share internet? How do you make that possible? Thats the greatest thing ever, thanks crashman!

Rob

<b><font color=red>Nothin like a Pentium II furiously churning out a blistering 0.8 FPS on 3D Mark 2001!!!</font color=red></b>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
simplest way is to use <A HREF="http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics_xp" target="_new">ICS</A>

BastardTom

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003
It's do-able but remember, when you connect two computers together with an rj45 cable, you cannot use the standard cable. Make sure you get a crossover rj45 cable, otherwise it won't work

To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human.

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
I have never heard of such a cable until now. What makes them different than a normal rj-45? Is their a better, more suited cable then the crossover one for this purpose?

Thanks for your time

Rob

<b><font color=red>Nothin like a Pentium II furiously churning out a blistering 0.8 FPS on 3D Mark 2001!!!</font color=red></b>

bellaspider

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2003
When connecting to another computer, wouldn't firewall be recommended?? Doesn't the crossover cable depend on what the ISP suggests you use? Right now I am using a non-crossover cable from my modem to the NIC. Why wouldn't it be the same from the 2nd port on the mobo to the other computer?

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
There would be no reason for a firewall, the second computer you would be connecting to would be your own,.... Unless your expecting a virus attack from your second pc... ?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.9three.com/tutorials/May-29-2002-crossover_cable_networking.htm" target="_new">here</A> is an explanation of why you need crossover for back to back PC connection but straight through for Cable modem to PC connection

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You need a straight cable for nearly everything except PC to PC connections. If you were to go through a hub or switch, you would need straight cable. You could use your system as a router, put a 5-port switch on the other side, and serve 5 other PC's with your 1 PC, for example, all using straight cable. But without anything but a cable to connect the two PC's, you'd need a crossover cable.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
So then I just take my dsl signal from my modem, into the first port, then a crossover cable to the second pc and set it up on win xp?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Any MS OS from 98SE on should support Internet Connection Sharing, not certain if it's called that in XP though. Yes, one port to the modem and the other port to another PC via a crossover cable.

toss5000

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
I recently did this with my A7N8X, and it worked fine. Windows XP pro did automaticly make it a bridge though, when I look at my two ethernet ports it says they're bridged.

- - - -
Kill a man and you're a murderer;
Kill many and you're a conquerer;
Kill 'em all and you're a god.