Trouble Installing Apps.

My computer is not letting me install anything that i try!!!! Please Help!
5 answers Last reply
More about trouble installing apps

    Are you using an account with administrative privileges?

    "Jim Macklin" wrote:

    > Are you using an account with administrative privileges?

    > "Tom C" <TomC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | My computer is not letting me install anything that i
    > try!!!! Please Help!

    Toward the end of November, you responded to someone's inquiry re: trouble
    installing software. I recently bought a new laptop with XP professional and
    I have not figured out how to gain administrative privileges. Could you
    enlighten me?

    I know this is a dumb question, but I use computers as tools and only have
    time to learn what I have to. If the tool works, I am in good shape and if
    it doesn't, I have to ask the more experienced how to fix the problem.

    Thank you for the assistance.

    Wally

    "Jim Macklin" wrote:

    > Are you using an account with administrative privileges?

    > "Tom C" <TomC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | My computer is not letting me install anything that i
    > try!!!! Please Help!

    Open the Control Panel and look at the Users account app.
    and it will list the account you're using and say whether it
    is limited or an administrator account. It will probably
    say administrator, because that is the default.

    XP Pro has other user settings that you can make to restrict
    user access or to allow limited users to do some advanced
    tasks. To see those settings, right click My Computer and
    select Manage. You'll see Local User and Groups.

    The XP Help menu has very good explanations of all these
    account/user setting and you should read those items as
    needed.

    If you're using an account other than the default
    administrator account, that Administrator account is hidden.
    This is so you do not use that account as a "working
    account" and cause damage to the setting you'll need to
    repair some damage.
    To access the Administrator account, press CTRL/ALT/DEL at
    the logon screen and you'll get a logon window that will
    allow you to select start options. [XP Pro is easier than
    Home, with Home you have to press F8 and select the Safe
    Mode]. You can also use the 'run as" command to select
    another user account, by right clicking on an application.

    Depending on what software you're trying to install, the
    license on the XP you have and what software you may have
    already installed or viruses you have gotten, the issue may
    be more than just a user account issue. Do you get any
    error messages when you try to install?

    --
    Merry Christmas
    Have a Safe and Happy New Year
    | Toward the end of November, you responded to someone's
    inquiry re: trouble
    | installing software. I recently bought a new laptop with
    XP professional and
    | I have not figured out how to gain administrative
    privileges. Could you
    | enlighten me?
    |
    | I know this is a dumb question, but I use computers as
    tools and only have
    | time to learn what I have to. If the tool works, I am in
    good shape and if
    | it doesn't, I have to ask the more experienced how to fix
    the problem.

    | Thank you for the assistance.
    |
    | Wally
    |
    | "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    |
    | > Are you using an account with administrative privileges?
    | >

    | > --
    | >

    | > "Tom C" <TomC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message

    | > | My computer is not letting me install anything that i
    | > try!!!! Please Help!

    THank you very much. The error message had referred to my lack of
    administrative privileges. I searced the help for administrative with no
    luck, then the laptops manuals, and then went to this site, where I found
    your November reply to an inquiry. It sounded like you knew what you were
    talking about so I asked.
    I have loaded my Adobe program that was the culprit before -- thanks again.

    Wally

Computers Apps Microsoft Windows XP