Help a new user decide

Last response: in Network Providers
June 8, 2004 10:14:13 PM

OK Y'all. I got some questions. I am going fulltime, that is travel
fulltime in my motorhome around the country. I need a cell phone. My needs
are; I need the best coverage around the nation and I need to hook my laptop
to my phone to access the internet. What kind of phone do I need. I hear
about GMS, Analog, Digital, CDMA, TDMA, Tri-Mode. I am so confused. I don'
t want to spend a bunch of money for a phone or service that's an overkill
that I don't need.

Do I need a Tri-mode? Will a dual mode phone work?

Thanks

More about : user decide

Anonymous
June 9, 2004 2:39:30 AM

FFT <No@spam.com> wrote:
> OK Y'all. I got some questions. I am going fulltime, that is travel
> fulltime in my motorhome around the country. I need a cell phone. My needs
> are; I need the best coverage around the nation and I need to hook my laptop
> to my phone to access the internet. What kind of phone do I need. I hear
> about GMS, Analog, Digital, CDMA, TDMA, Tri-Mode. I am so confused. I don'
> t want to spend a bunch of money for a phone or service that's an overkill
> that I don't need.
>
> Do I need a Tri-mode? Will a dual mode phone work?

Really depends on where you are planning on going. The big cities are
all covered by Verizon and its roaming partners; there are certain places
like Oklahoma and Arkansas where Verizon doesn't have native coverage that
are covered by carriers with which Verizon has roaming agreements. And the
big cities are all digital. If you're planning on going to more rural areas,
you may want to consider a phone that has analog and digital capabilities -
tri-mode phones do, dual-mode digital phones do not.

June 9, 2004 4:20:56 AM

You have come to the right place. If you want the best nationwide service
you should go with Verizon Wireless. Their network is primarily CDMA and so
you will get a CDMA phone when you sign up with Verizon.

Since you will be traveling a lot I *HIGHLY* recommend getting an analog
capable phone as it will give you the option to make calls in some areas
where there is no digital CDMA service. I am responsible for about 10 lines
of service with the LG VX 4400 and I highly recommend it. Unfortunately, it
has been discontinued and I doubt there is stock left anywhere. My second
suggestion would be the Nokia 3589i. It is an excellent performer, it has
analog, it works well for accessing the Internet, and it is cheap (like $30
with a two year contract).

Now Verizon Wireless also has the best internet access via cell phone (in my
opinion). They have what is called "Express Network" or "National Access"
(two marketing terms for the same thing) which you can use to access the
Internet at up to 144kbps. If you just get an America's choice plan you
should be able to use this Internet access and only have it count against
your minutes (free after 9pm and on weekends if your plan includes that).
Note that you will need a cable to connect this phone to your laptop. You
may be able to get this in the form of a "Mobile office kit" direct from
Verizon, or maybe from Nokia themselves. Otherwise there is sure to be
after market cables available.

-Eric

"FFT" <No@Spam.com> wrote in message news:D vtxc.5846$fZ1.4483@fed1read03...
> OK Y'all. I got some questions. I am going fulltime, that is travel
> fulltime in my motorhome around the country. I need a cell phone. My
needs
> are; I need the best coverage around the nation and I need to hook my
laptop
> to my phone to access the internet. What kind of phone do I need. I hear
> about GMS, Analog, Digital, CDMA, TDMA, Tri-Mode. I am so confused. I
don'
> t want to spend a bunch of money for a phone or service that's an overkill
> that I don't need.
>
> Do I need a Tri-mode? Will a dual mode phone work?
>
> Thanks

Related resources
June 9, 2004 11:24:11 AM

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 00:20:56 -0700, "Eric Rosenberry"
<erics@R3MOVErosenberry.org> wrote:

>Since you will be traveling a lot I *HIGHLY* recommend getting an analog
>capable phone as it will give you the option to make calls in some areas
>where there is no digital CDMA service.

That won't help if he intends to connect a laptop.

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 9:24:41 PM

I thought that is what dual mode was, Analog and Digital. Am I wrong?

sjsobol@JustThe.net
> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 10:05:12 PM

"FFT" <No@Spam.com> wrote in message news:hTNxc.7732$fZ1.110@fed1read03
> "Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
>> FFT <No@spam.com> wrote:
>>> OK Y'all. I got some questions. I am going fulltime, that is
>>> travel fulltime in my motorhome around the country. I need a cell
>>> phone. My needs are; I need the best coverage around the nation
>>> and I need to hook my laptop to my phone to access the internet.
>>> What kind of phone do I need. I hear about GMS, Analog, Digital,
>>> CDMA, TDMA, Tri-Mode. I am so confused. I don' t want to spend a
>>> bunch of money for a phone or service that's an overkill that I
>>> don't need.
>>>
>>> Do I need a Tri-mode? Will a dual mode phone work?
>>
>> Really depends on where you are planning on going. The big cities are
>> all covered by Verizon and its roaming partners; there are certain
>> places like Oklahoma and Arkansas where Verizon doesn't have native
>> coverage that are covered by carriers with which Verizon has roaming
>> agreements. And the big cities are all digital. If you're planning
>> on going to more rural areas, you may want to consider a phone that
>> has analog and digital
> capabilities -
>> tri-mode phones do, dual-mode digital phones do not.
>>
> I thought that is what dual mode was, Analog and Digital. Am I wrong?

Sort of, the terms band and mode seem to have been switched. Dual mode is
usually 2 bands, both digital
and tri mode is the two digital bands, AND an analog band.

Don't know why they mixed up Band and Mode, they are both 4 letter words :)
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 2:32:30 AM

Why won't having analog help if he intends to connect his laptop?

Granted he won't be able to make data calls when he is in analog land, but
he will at least be able to make voice calls in areas he would otherwise
have no service.

-Eric
"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.NONOcom> wrote in message
> On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 00:20:56 -0700, "Eric Rosenberry"
> <erics@R3MOVErosenberry.org> wrote:
>
> >Since you will be traveling a lot I *HIGHLY* recommend getting an analog
> >capable phone as it will give you the option to make calls in some areas
> >where there is no digital CDMA service.
>
> That won't help if he intends to connect a laptop.

> remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 8:52:32 PM

>"Eric Rosenberry" <erics@R3MOVErosenberry.org> wrote:

>Why won't having analog help if he intends to connect his laptop?
>
>Granted he won't be able to make data calls when he is in analog land, but
>he will at least be able to make voice calls in areas he would otherwise
>have no service.
>
>-Eric

To quibble just a bit.... If you have a Nokia or Motorola phone, you can
probably get an Ositech card that will allow you to connect in analog
areas at a blistering 4.8-9.6 kbps. I have done that with both brands of
phones.
!