disc repair

running xp home sp1 and having problems running nortons disk doctor.each time
that i try it tells me that another system has exclusive rights over the c
drive.I am trying to run this as i have problems with program files and would
like to repair these.What can i do to get this to run?Da
5 answers Last reply
More about disc repair

    On 25/11/2004 DaveyT wrote:

    > running xp home sp1 and having problems running nortons disk
    > doctor.each time that i try it tells me that another system has
    > exclusive rights over the c drive.I am trying to run this as i have
    > problems with program files and would like to repair these.What can i
    > do to get this to run?Da

    This is quite normal, it's Windows that is using the files.

    Norton should give you the opportunity to run at next boot when it
    realises that it can't get exclusive access to a drive.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK

    "Jeff Gaines" <whitedragon101@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On 25/11/2004 DaveyT wrote:
    >
    >> running xp home sp1 and having problems running nortons disk
    >> doctor.each time that i try it tells me that another system has
    >> exclusive rights over the c drive.I am trying to run this as i have
    >> problems with program files and would like to repair these.What can i
    >> do to get this to run?Da
    >
    > This is quite normal, it's Windows that is using the files.
    >
    > Norton should give you the opportunity to run at next boot when it
    > realises that it can't get exclusive access to a drive.

    And under NT-based Windows (NT4, 2000, XP), I believe Norton Disk Doctor
    doesn't do anything at all. As I recall (I dumped the Norton Utilities
    a long time ago), all it does is run CHKDSK. Well, you don't need
    Norton Disk Doctor to do that for you. Just open a DOS prompt and run
    CHKDSK itself and it will tell you if the volume is locked and offers
    the option to run on the next Windows load (i.e., you'll need to do a
    reboot).

    | And under NT-based Windows (NT4, 2000, XP), I believe Norton
    Disk Doctor
    | doesn't do anything at all. As I recall (I dumped the Norton
    Utilities
    | a long time ago), all it does is run CHKDSK. Well, you don't
    need
    | Norton Disk Doctor to do that for you. Just open a DOS prompt
    and run
    | CHKDSK itself and it will tell you if the volume is locked and
    offers
    | the option to run on the next Windows load (i.e., you'll need
    to do a
    | reboot).

    Uhhhh, you believe? Haven't used it in a long time? Then why
    did you bother putting the wear and tear on your fingertips?
    There is just a tad more to it.

    Norton System Doctor includes Norton Disk Doctor and Surface Test
    sensors that notify you when a potential disk problem is
    detected. Norton Disk Doctor runs automatically to diagnose the
    problem and make immediate repairs.

    Norton Disk Doctor performs several tests on the disk, checking
    everything from the partition table to the physical surface. If
    Norton Disk Doctor finds a problem, it notifies you before it
    makes repairs. If you set Norton Disk Doctor to automatically fix
    errors, repairs are made automatically. After it diagnoses and
    repairs a disk, Norton Disk Doctor displays a report that lists
    the problems that were found, the problems that were fixed, and
    the areas of the disk that are problem-free.

    You can run Norton Disk Doctor and examine your disk from the
    program CD.

    When not to use Norton Disk Doctor
    Do not run the DOS version of Norton Disk Doctor on
    partitions that were created with Linux FDISK or Disk Druid. If
    you choose to fix errors on partitions that were created with
    these utilities, it is critical that you make an Undo file.

    Use Norton Disk Doctor to fix an invalid partition only if it is
    completely inaccessible from Windows or DOS.

    Norton Disk Doctor can only revive FAT or FAT32 partitions on
    computers that are running Windows 2000/XP. It cannot revive NTFS
    partitions.

    To repair corrupted boot records, use the DOS version of Norton
    Disk Doctor; do not use the Windows version. The Windows version
    diagnoses the problem, but it will not repair the boot record as
    well as the DOS version of Norton Disk Doctor.

    Norton Disk Doctor might report an error if you use a third-party
    boot loader. This error report can be safely ignored.

    Regards,

    Pop

    begin 666 note_icon.gif
    M1TE&.#EA#0`/`,0``+F4*OO#*?.U"OW:>;282IQS`,ZV<\J:%_G*1V=/"=*E
    M*OW05NFW+KV,!-2M0?[CFTHZ#/SUY/S=B7]B$?SJN^'=T$Q!(G!@,N*_8>.G
    M`/OZ]_GX]5)24@8&!J.CH_O[^R'Y! ``````+ `````-``\```5[X">*7.>-
    MZ$<]I?=0:/0,2[L,3R32@=(R@=M'$A `-JT-0! @"@Z;C\?TV1R8B -&-#U]
    M, >%`P"3=D:4L8(Q2.T8C>M"8^9\- M!P] 0##0=@1H#>@0?$P49" 06! @9
    =!1,B%0D)!0H8"@657B(6$!>A$!:=(QX<J*4A`#L`
    `
    end

    "Pop" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message

    > Uhhhh, you believe? Haven't used it in a long time? Then why
    > did you bother putting the wear and tear on your fingertips?
    > There is just a tad more to it.

    Yep, superficial stuff to mask that it duplicates the functionality of
    CHKDSK. For the big errors that it "discovers", it just schedules
    CHKDSK to run on the next reboot: Disk Doctor links to chkdsk.exe to
    past parameters to it for pre-GUI scanning. Disk Doctor cannot repair
    index corruption in NTFS, and I don't recall that it can rebuild a file
    from a corrupted state based on the journaling info (again for NTFS).
    So how much "repairing" is Disk Doctor doing if it has to revert to
    running CHKDSK to get the actual work done?

    > Norton System Doctor includes Norton Disk Doctor

    I suppose they had to wrap it up to look different to con users that
    something was different to qualify paying for the purchase or upgrade
    cost. Also, I thought System Doctor was their monitor tool. It isn't
    System Doctor that includes Disk Doctor. It is Norton Utilities that
    includes both Disk Doctor AND System Doctor (see their description at
    http://snipurl.com/awfl). I did not address the other utilities
    included in the Norton Utilities bloatware "package". I only discussed
    Disk Doctor. I did not discuss the synergy of the multiple tools in the
    Norton Utilities package which includes Disk Doctor, their DOS
    utilities, their monitoring tool (System Doctor), their SpeedDisk (which
    conflicts with the Diskeeper Lite included as defrag in Windows XP and
    with the prefetch used in Windows XP), the extreme hazard of using their
    WinDoctor in letting it make wide-ranging automatic registry changes
    based on a limited experience database encoded into it, Wipe Info which
    was unavailble for awhile on NT-based versions of Windows but was easy
    supplanted by the better and freebie Eraser tool, or System Information
    which is superfluous with the utilities included in Windows XP or
    available for free, like AIDA32 (which became Everest Home minus the
    software product key info) and BelArc Advisor. Since the OP never
    mentioned WHICH version of SystemWorks they have (which includes Norton
    Utilities which includes Disk Doctor), we really don't know what feature
    set is available to the OP. Personally I found System Doctor to be a
    pig on resources and slowed every system on which it was loaded so I
    never bothered to leave it running.

    > and Surface Test
    > sensors that notify you when a potential disk problem is
    > detected.

    Yeah, no surprise there since "CHKDSK /R" does the same surface scan.
    Or maybe you are covertly switching back to System Doctor for the
    monitoring and attempting to infer that functionality is part of Disk
    Doctor.

    > Norton Disk Doctor runs automatically to diagnose the
    > problem and make immediate repairs.

    Only the same ones that CHKDSK will repair when the system partition is
    in use or for another volume that isn't locked.

    > Norton Disk Doctor performs several tests on the disk, checking
    > everything from the partition table to the physical surface.

    > If Norton Disk Doctor finds a problem, it notifies you before it
    > makes repairs.

    Same for "CHKDSK" with no switches which will only the report problems
    that it finds without fixing them. Of course, if you use a multiboot
    manager or security product that uses a custom MBR bootstrap program and
    uses non-standard entries in the partition table and the partition table
    is not in it default offset location then Disk Doctor will ruin your
    setup.

    Perhaps Disk Doctor has improved and actually checks the partition type
    recorded in the partition entries within the partition table. It didn't
    do it before. However, there are multiple partition types which can be
    used against the same partition as their definition has never really
    been standardized but only accepted through de facto usage (see
    partition types defined at http://snipurl.com/6al2,
    http://snipurl.com/awgl, and http://snipurl.com/awgp). Since there is
    no standards body dictating what partition type numbers are used by what
    file systems then how is Disk Doctor going to "fix" a partition using
    file system X so the partition type in the partition entry in the
    partition table has the correct but non-standardized value? It
    *guesses* by inspecting the file system and using whatever Symantec has
    decided is their interpretation of the de facto partition type number
    list.

    > If you set Norton Disk Doctor to automatically fix
    > errors, repairs are made automatically.

    Same for "CHKDSK /F" or "CHKDSK /R" (for those that can be fixed while
    the system partition is inuse, and the same restrictions as for Norton
    Disk Doctor).

    > After it diagnoses and
    > repairs a disk, Norton Disk Doctor displays a report that lists
    > the problems that were found, the problems that were fixed,

    Same for the summary output at the end of CHKDSK.

    > and the areas of the disk that are problem-free.

    This is important? You run the tool to report what is bad; otherwise,
    just a summary output is sufficient to let you know it was good.

    > You can run Norton Disk Doctor and examine your disk from the
    > program CD.

    CHKDSK will run from Recovery Console mode which you can install and run
    the hard drive or use the bootable Windows install CD to have it load
    the Recovery Console.

    Disk Doctor is like CHKDSK on steroids but only *WITH* the added tools
    in the Norton Utilities suite. Disk Doctor alone doesn't outshine
    CHKDSK. Do you need the bloat of the suite when you want to just use
    Disk Doctor's duplicated functionality of CHKDSK? I got rid of Norton
    Utilities first from SystemWorks Pro when I had replaced each of its
    utilities with something free or better. When I no longer needed Ghost
    (after comparing it against DriveImage), and WinFax became a dead-end
    product (and Windows XP includes a faxing service for the really basic
    faxing that I need since everything these days is via e-mail), and I
    couldn't use GoBack because it usurps the MBR bootstrap area which
    obviated using a multiboot manager (and GoBack won't chain the bootstrap
    programs as do some security products, like Safeboot) then I finally
    dumped Systemworks Pro. For those that don't want to hunt for equal or
    better utilities, many of which are free, then the synergy of buying
    into a tool suite is tempting because it is easy.

    No arguement, except ... you ass-u-me too much for the user, and
    under estimate the little tweaks and such that makes it so much
    more valuable than simply trying to use chkdsk. You also seem to
    ass-u-me I don't know what chkdsk/scandisk etc are, but you are
    wrong.
    Don't make life more complex than it is when it isn't
    necessary. That kind of attitude, IMO, puts a wart on the ass
    of progress by ass-u-me-ing you know when progress is progress
    and when it isn't.

    I don't plan to debate this any further; if you wish to contnye
    to rant, then so be it; I save ranting for more entertaining
    drivel than this.

    Regards,

    Pop

Microsoft Windows XP