Floppy disk Problems

November 25, 2004 8:10:08 AM

Floppy drive suddenly stopped working ,Get popup screen when trying to
read a disk
Its a Dell computer Pent 3 790 Mhz
Windows xp Pro sp-2
The problem started suddenly ,no apparent reason with WinXp Home
isnstalled .

The pop up screen reads "Please install a disk in Drive A " . With
some disks .
With other disks it reads " The disk in drive a is not formatted etc "

In attempting to troubleshoot I tried 2 other drives with cables that
worked in other computers .I also did a new install of WinXp pro SP-2
and still get the same problems .

Ive also formatted new disks in another computer with XP Pro installed
to use

Ive check the Bios but dont see any problem although I may not no
what to look for.

The cables are tight and properly installed

Thanks for taking the time to help me out

Flipperf

More about : floppy disk problems

Anonymous
November 25, 2004 8:10:09 AM

"OleDawg" <flipperf@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Floppy drive suddenly stopped working ,Get popup screen when trying to
> read a disk
> Its a Dell computer Pent 3 790 Mhz
> Windows xp Pro sp-2
> The problem started suddenly ,no apparent reason with WinXp Home
> isnstalled .
>
> The pop up screen reads "Please install a disk in Drive A " . With
> some disks .
> With other disks it reads " The disk in drive a is not formatted etc "
>
> In attempting to troubleshoot I tried 2 other drives with cables that
> worked in other computers .I also did a new install of WinXp pro SP-2
> and still get the same problems .
>
> Ive also formatted new disks in another computer with XP Pro installed
> to use
>
> Ive check the Bios but dont see any problem although I may not no
> what to look for.
>
> The cables are tight and properly installed
>
> Thanks for taking the time to help me out
>
> Flipperf

The drive itself may have become bad. Have you tried using a different
drive? You should be able to get one for under $10.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"OleDawg" <flipperf@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Floppy drive suddenly stopped working ,Get popup screen when trying to
> read a disk
> Its a Dell computer Pent 3 790 Mhz
> Windows xp Pro sp-2
> The problem started suddenly ,no apparent reason with WinXp Home
> isnstalled .
>
> The pop up screen reads "Please install a disk in Drive A " . With
> some disks .
> With other disks it reads " The disk in drive a is not formatted etc "
>
> In attempting to troubleshoot I tried 2 other drives with cables that
> worked in other computers .I also did a new install of WinXp pro SP-2
> and still get the same problems .
>
> Ive also formatted new disks in another computer with XP Pro installed
> to use
> The cables are tight and properly installed
> Ive check the Bios but dont see any problem although I may not no
> what to look for.
Onboard FDD controller--1.44 3 1/4 --mode 3 support (if the drive is a Mode
3)

Try the links below

In Win XP Will not read floppy drives or diskettes.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282470
Floppy will not format under Win XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;140060&Product=win2000

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;140060

I think this is the 'current' hardware compatibility link for x86 and
caution,
if that's a new dell box, dell isn't too good on following 'industry
standard'
PC clone rules. The biggest problems are usually in the video card and
(you've learned this) scsi or ata disk controller. try at first:

http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/

Cause 1: This error can be caused if the Drive Image 2002 virtual floppy
files have been compressed by Windows XP. (The "Disk Cleanup" feature in
Windows XP has an option to compress files on NTFS partitions if those files
have not been accessed for a specific amount of time.) When Drive Image
reboots to true DOS mode to perform an imaging task, it is unable to find
the virtual floppy files it needs to perform the task since DOS cannot
access files that Windows XP has compressed.

Good luck
!