copying files to disk and transferring

hi, i have a relatively new computer (one year old) with xp pro. my wife
just got and old lap top- and i just wanted to take some of the programs i've
downloaded to the xp and load them onto to laptop to do basic stuff. the
laptop is four years old, and has windows me.

i have about 40 different spyware programs loaded onto my xp, and copied
those to cd-r. some of them went, and some of them didn't. when i put the
disc in the laptop, some of them loaded, and some of them didn't. i made two
discs- one from a file i keep on the desktop, and one i went into the
c-drive, and copied a bunch of shareware- and, also norton's. i just wanted
to run norton's one, just to make sure there were no viruses on it.

when i clicked on run, then browse, then found norton's, it loaded about 25
little folders. and, when i did this with some of the spyware, it did the
same thing.

my question is, how can i copy files so that i know it'll run in my wife's
laptop. what did i do wrong? i was always under the assumption that a file
could be copied, and then run on another system as long as it was compatible,
and had the capability.

i wasn't trying to rip norton off, and planned to buy it off the internet
when i had ascertained the system was clean, but didn't want to hook up until
i was sure, hence i tried to copy the file.

is there a place where i can go to read about this?

we are still relatively new at this- obviously, 'eh?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

happy thanksgiving, all.

--
thx, sahib
3 answers Last reply

    On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 13:53:03 -0800, sahib wrote:

    > hi, i have a relatively new computer (one year old) with xp pro. my wife
    > just got and old lap top- and i just wanted to take some of the programs i've
    > downloaded to the xp and load them onto to laptop to do basic stuff. the
    > laptop is four years old, and has windows me.
    >
    > i have about 40 different spyware programs loaded onto my xp, and copied
    > those to cd-r. some of them went, and some of them didn't. when i put the
    > disc in the laptop, some of them loaded, and some of them didn't. i made two
    > discs- one from a file i keep on the desktop, and one i went into the
    > c-drive, and copied a bunch of shareware- and, also norton's. i just wanted
    > to run norton's one, just to make sure there were no viruses on it.
    >
    > when i clicked on run, then browse, then found norton's, it loaded about 25
    > little folders. and, when i did this with some of the spyware, it did the
    > same thing.
    >
    > my question is, how can i copy files so that i know it'll run in my wife's
    > laptop. what did i do wrong? i was always under the assumption that a file
    > could be copied, and then run on another system as long as it was compatible,
    > and had the capability.
    >
    > i wasn't trying to rip norton off, and planned to buy it off the internet
    > when i had ascertained the system was clean, but didn't want to hook up until
    > i was sure, hence i tried to copy the file.
    >
    > is there a place where i can go to read about this?
    >
    > we are still relatively new at this- obviously, 'eh?
    >
    > any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > happy thanksgiving, all.

    Happy thanksgiving to you as well!

    As you've discovered, there is a difference between programs capable of
    running from copied files and those that will not run without a full
    fledged installation.

    Most programs designed for Windows include a setup program that
    1) creates a program folder with the main files for an application
    2) may add other files to other folders that are outside of the program's
    own folder
    3) creates necessary configuration steps (create a file or write to the
    registry)
    4) creates desktop/start menu shortcuts and whatever else I missed.

    Copied programs only cover #1 above. Setup must be run to accomplish the
    others.

    In addition, setup programs sometimes contain mulitple file sets: each set
    is appropriate for a specific operating system. For example, Windows 9x/ME
    programs often use *.VXD files. These are not supported in Windows XP so a
    different file set is installed during setup.

    If the setup program does not contain multiple file sets, you need to
    download a different installation package than the one you have on hand for
    XP.

    Check the licenses on your software. Many will allow installation on a
    desktop and a second install on a portable system. The idea of this
    allowance is that you would be using both systems and can only run one copy
    of the software at a time. Also the extra install is not allowed with all
    software but with enough programs that it is worthwhile to spend some time
    checking license and eula text files for this information.

    An extra installation on a portable system is not a common allowance with
    antivirus programs. Also, Symantec has some kind product activation scheme
    built into their software. I don't use their products so am not familiar
    with the mechanisms used. However, their product activation may be what
    you're running into with the laptop.

    I understand the desire to run antivirus at least once before investing a
    lot of time configuring a system. You'll probably need to acquire another
    license for Norton before you can use that program for that purpose.
    Suggestion: You could download a free antivirus program now that is capable
    of running from floppy disk or CD and use that for the initial scan
    (Kapersky, perhaps?). Then install Norton's or antivirus program of choice
    later.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    "sahib" wrote:

    > hi, i have a relatively new computer (one year old) with xp pro. my wife
    > just got and old lap top- and i just wanted to take some of the programs i've
    > downloaded to the xp and load them onto to laptop to do basic stuff. the
    > laptop is four years old, and has windows me.
    >
    > i have about 40 different spyware programs loaded onto my xp, and copied
    > those to cd-r. some of them went, and some of them didn't. when i put the
    > disc in the laptop, some of them loaded, and some of them didn't. i made two
    > discs- one from a file i keep on the desktop, and one i went into the
    > c-drive, and copied a bunch of shareware- and, also norton's. i just wanted
    > to run norton's one, just to make sure there were no viruses on it.
    >
    > when i clicked on run, then browse, then found norton's, it loaded about 25
    > little folders. and, when i did this with some of the spyware, it did the
    > same thing.
    >
    > my question is, how can i copy files so that i know it'll run in my wife's
    > laptop. what did i do wrong? i was always under the assumption that a file
    > could be copied, and then run on another system as long as it was compatible,
    > and had the capability.
    >
    > i wasn't trying to rip norton off, and planned to buy it off the internet
    > when i had ascertained the system was clean, but didn't want to hook up until
    > i was sure, hence i tried to copy the file.
    >
    > is there a place where i can go to read about this?
    >
    > we are still relatively new at this- obviously, 'eh?
    >
    > any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > happy thanksgiving, all.
    >

    > --
    > thx, sahib

    You will have to install each program to the laptop.

    "Ron Newman" <RonNewman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > "sahib" wrote:
    >
    >> hi, i have a relatively new computer (one year old) with xp pro. my wife
    >> just got and old lap top- and i just wanted to take some of the programs
    >> i've
    >> downloaded to the xp and load them onto to laptop to do basic stuff. the
    >> laptop is four years old, and has windows me.
    >>
    >> i have about 40 different spyware programs loaded onto my xp, and copied
    >> those to cd-r. some of them went, and some of them didn't. when i put
    >> the
    >> disc in the laptop, some of them loaded, and some of them didn't. i made
    >> two
    >> discs- one from a file i keep on the desktop, and one i went into the
    >> c-drive, and copied a bunch of shareware- and, also norton's. i just
    >> wanted
    >> to run norton's one, just to make sure there were no viruses on it.
    >>
    >> when i clicked on run, then browse, then found norton's, it loaded about
    >> 25
    >> little folders. and, when i did this with some of the spyware, it did
    >> the
    >> same thing.
    >>
    >> my question is, how can i copy files so that i know it'll run in my
    >> wife's
    >> laptop. what did i do wrong? i was always under the assumption that a
    >> file
    >> could be copied, and then run on another system as long as it was
    >> compatible,
    >> and had the capability.
    >>
    >> i wasn't trying to rip norton off, and planned to buy it off the internet
    >> when i had ascertained the system was clean, but didn't want to hook up
    >> until
    >> i was sure, hence i tried to copy the file.
    >>
    >> is there a place where i can go to read about this?
    >>
    >> we are still relatively new at this- obviously, 'eh?
    >>
    >> any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> happy thanksgiving, all.
    >>

    >> --
    >> thx, sahib