HP Laserjet Page Count Question

Hey fellow geeks, I've been combing the eBay listings for a used Laserjet
4000T or 4050T. The ones for sale have page counts of anywhere from 10,000
to nearly 1,000,000. I don't know how to factor these stats into my decision
because I don't know the realistic lifespan of a laser printer. For example,
is 250,000 pages a lot? Should I steer of one with that much mileage, or
with proper refurbishment would it work just fine? Any input would be
appreciated.
2 answers Last reply
More about laserjet page count question

    On the seventh day, Joshua wrote...

    > Hey fellow geeks, I've been combing the eBay listings for a used Laserjet
    > 4000T or 4050T. The ones for sale have page counts of anywhere from 10,000
    > to nearly 1,000,000. I don't know how to factor these stats into my decision
    > because I don't know the realistic lifespan of a laser printer.

    BTW: You can reset the page counter. It may not mean anything at all...

    > For example,
    > is 250,000 pages a lot?

    IIRC the 4000 series has been designed with as much as 20,000 pages per
    month in mind. That'll mean 10 months of continous operation. That's not
    much.

    > Should I steer of one with that much mileage, or
    > with proper refurbishment would it work just fine?

    I think proper maintenance cycles are the way to go. OTOH you can get a
    perfect printer with an high page count and have bad luck with one that was
    printing 5,000 pages. My 5Si was advertised as having printed only 11,962
    pages, but I was able to find out that the printer was owned by a newspaper
    company. I do not believe in that page count, however, the printer is doing
    a great job and the only thing I had to buy so far has been new toner.

    We have engaged...the Borg. - Picard, "Star Trek: The Next
    Generation, (The Best of Both Worlds I)"

    Joshua <givetheword@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > Hey fellow geeks, I've been combing the eBay listings for a used Laserjet
    > 4000T or 4050T. The ones for sale have page counts of anywhere from 10,000
    > to nearly 1,000,000. I don't know how to factor these stats into my decision
    > because I don't know the realistic lifespan of a laser printer. For example,
    > is 250,000 pages a lot? Should I steer of one with that much mileage, or
    > with proper refurbishment would it work just fine? Any input would be
    > appreciated.

    A 4000 or 4050 with only 10,000 pages is nearly new, and may still be on
    the first (real) toner cartridge. They have a built-in page counter
    that tells you they need service after 200,000 pages, although the ones
    I've seen in heavy use tend to need a new fuser (about $200) slightly
    before that. Rollers tend to last a long time and are easy and
    relatively cheap to replace.

    Heavily-used printers are likely to have cosmetic damage: pen and pencil
    marks, scratches, miscolored cases due to some cretin cleaning them with
    a solvent. Still, they tend to print well, and the plastic parts are
    easy to replace and pretty cheap.

    Most of the dozen 4050s I'm thinking of are about four years old, and
    half have been used in dusty and hot warehouse environments. A couple
    are approaching the million-page mark. Can't tell you about the
    lifespan; they're all still in use.

Hewlett Packard Laserjet Computers