First announcement of GTA IV system requirements

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Hi everybody,

When I was surfing around on a website which always reports the latest news about GTA games, I suddenly saw they had found another webpage that had already published the GTA IV specs, but shortly afterwards they where removed again, so it could be possible the specs were wrong. Anyway they were able to note them down and post them on their own site. This is what they report:

* Processor: Dual core processor (Intel Pentium D or better)
* Memory: 2GB RAM
* DVD-drive: DVD-ROM dual-layer drive
* Harddisk: 18GB free hard disk space
* Graphic Card: 512MB Direct3D 10 compatible or Direct3D 9 card compatible with Shader
* Windows XP Service Pack 2

So don't shoot me if they are wrong, but it might be giving an idea of what we might expect of GTA IV.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Other than the hard drive space, it was not unexpected. Interesting how the 360 version of the game only takes up about 6.5GB of data on the 360's DVD9. The textures will be better no doubt, but that much larger? Let's hope it isn't another lazy Rockstar port like the last few GTAs on the PC. Before someone comes in telling me how well they can run San Andreas on their PC, consider that Rockstar had it running on a console with only 32MB of total system memory when it launched on the PS2 in 2004.

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Sounds like someone made up the tech spec in the company and someone high up noticed and removed it.

18GB... not a chance, maybe 8GB's

blashyrkh

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
actually, think about it. The bluray is 25Gb for the ps3. I don't know if it's all takes up but that game needs massive amounts of memory for its textures and it needs them uncompressed so that you get a better gaming experiance.

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
But as someone said before the game file is only 6.5GB's on a console so really how much can you upscale textures before the benefit is just not needed. Besides the Audio will be a huge chunk of that 6.5GB’s so I would say after everything that the textures for the 360 version would weigh in at a guestimate of about 3GB’s tops.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
As I said, Microsoft only lets the developer use about 6.5GB of the DVD9, and it's likely Rockstar used all of that space for the Xbox360. Seeing as the title was developed for the 360 primarily, I doubt that the PS3 version probably anywhere near the full 25GB of the single layer Blu-ray, and is probably closer to the amount used on the 360 version, although likely a bit higher due to the footprint of the install among other things.

TRENDING THREADS