Feelings on Chipsets and MOBO's

Pseosis

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
What are your feelings on the SIS 648 chipsets vs. the Intel chipsets and what boards run the best with these. Also what are yours feelings about nforce2 chipsets and what boards are the best with these. I'm trying to decide between Intel vs. AMD and what board to purchase. And does Asus have that many problems with there boards (bios I guess)? I'm also looking for one that allows future CPU expansion to atleast 3 ghzs. Thanks

MOBO? SCSI? IDE? IUD? Christ, college calculus was easier!

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
SiS648 - Not bad but has problems with 8x AGP working properly, ram running at higher speeds. The only decent board that works fairly well is the one made from Gigabyte. Also this board does not support Hyperthreading. (Which means that your 3Ghz+ chips will be slightly crippled) Plus, poor overclocking (Even with the Gigabyte)

Intel 845PE - No 8x AGP support but otherwise a fairly good chipset. If you go this route go with Abit IT7 Max Rev2. You'll get just about every feature you can think of or want on a motherboard. Sound, Lan, Firewire, A shitload of USB ports, serial ATA, etc. Another downside is it only supports DDR333, but it's still plenty fast. Also it's probably the best overclocker for Intel right now. There are other boards you can go with but I'd pick up the Abit with my money.

Nforce2 - Probably the best chipset out. If I were to pick a specific board I'd go with the Epox 8RDA+. But that's because I like to overclock. I'm sure you've seen plenty of info about this chipset. I'd say the only downside is the upgrade path.

Also you may want to wait about 2 weeks and see what the SIS655 chipsets look. Dont look at the reviews only wait until they get into peoples hands and see if other problems crop up.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Pseosis

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Thanks for the advice it helps to hear other opinions. I think the major factor these days is to get something that fits your needs the closest. It seems that their is no one board that does it all (since we would all have that if there was). The funny part is that everytime I start to decide on something I hear something bad about it which confuses the issue more. I want a stable board that has limited issues that can be upgraded in the future which ironically is quite hard to find these days. At this point I do not even know the CPU I want because each has board that offer different options, but thanx this begins to uncloud the issue alittle.

MOBO? SCSI? IDE? IUD? Christ, college calculus was easier!