Dos Based Prog

sir,
I am unable to run Lotus123 & Nc dos based prog on WINXP professional, while
these work well on win 2000
how to boot for dos as my computer is preloaded with Xp
plz suggest

anil jain wrote:

> sir,
> I am unable to run Lotus123 & Nc dos based prog on WINXP professional, while
> these work well on win 2000
> how to boot for dos as my computer is preloaded with Xp
> plz suggest

No problems here. Even running Ashton-Tate dBase 3+. Of
course, these old DOS-based programs run in their own DOS
box. Set them up via the Taskbar and Start Menu Applet ==>
Start Menu ==> Advanced, in the usual way. Just be careful
in setting up their properties

still it is not working. i have to shift to win 2000 platform for running the
same
"Tritium" wrote:

> anil jain wrote:
>
> > sir,
> > I am unable to run Lotus123 & Nc dos based prog on WINXP professional, while
> > these work well on win 2000
> > how to boot for dos as my computer is preloaded with Xp
> > plz suggest
>
> No problems here. Even running Ashton-Tate dBase 3+. Of
> course, these old DOS-based programs run in their own DOS
> box. Set them up via the Taskbar and Start Menu Applet ==>
> Start Menu ==> Advanced, in the usual way. Just be careful
> in setting up their properties

>> anil jain wrote:

>> sir, I am unable to run Lotus123 & Nc dos based prog on
>> WINXP professional, while these work well on win 2000 how
>> to boot for dos as my computer is preloaded with Xp plz
>> suggest

How are you trying to run dos programs?
I run a dos 3.0 version Quattro on my XP Home computer.
I put a 'Quattro' folder on my desktop & created shortcuts to the
..wkq files. Right click a .wkq file & select Always open with Q.EXE
Clicking the shortcut opens the program in a dos window.

Or you can goto the folder you have the Lotus 123 files in &
select a data file, right click & select Open With, browse to the
Lotus exe or com file & make sure Always open with is checked.

Alex,

thanx for reply. still i am unable to run

"abarna" wrote:

> >> anil jain wrote:
>
> >> sir, I am unable to run Lotus123 & Nc dos based prog on
> >> WINXP professional, while these work well on win 2000 how
> >> to boot for dos as my computer is preloaded with Xp plz
> >> suggest
>
> How are you trying to run dos programs?
> I run a dos 3.0 version Quattro on my XP Home computer.
> I put a 'Quattro' folder on my desktop & created shortcuts to the
> ..wkq files. Right click a .wkq file & select Always open with Q.EXE
> Clicking the shortcut opens the program in a dos window.
>
> Or you can goto the folder you have the Lotus 123 files in &
> select a data file, right click & select Open With, browse to the
> Lotus exe or com file & make sure Always open with is checked.
>
> Alex,

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:780688CD-E726-4736-B3AB-1ACBAC791B79@microsoft.com,
anil jain <aniljain@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> thanx for reply. still i am unable to run

Try this:

DOSBox, a x86 emulator with DOS:
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

Galen

Gordon

anil jain wrote:
> still it is not working. i have to shift to win 2000 platform for running the
> same
> "Tritium" wrote:
>

>>anil jain wrote:
>>

>>>sir,
>>>I am unable to run Lotus123 & Nc dos based prog on WINXP professional, while
>>>these work well on win 2000
>>>how to boot for dos as my computer is preloaded with Xp
>>>plz suggest
>>
>>No problems here. Even running Ashton-Tate dBase 3+. Of
>>course, these old DOS-based programs run in their own DOS
>>box. Set them up via the Taskbar and Start Menu Applet ==>
>>Start Menu ==> Advanced, in the usual way. Just be careful
>>in setting up their properties

Have you tried running in Compatibility Mode? (Right-Click the Icon and
choose the "Compatibility" tab....)

--
Gordon Burgess-Parker
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

yes i tried but in vain.

<aniljain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>yes i tried but in vain.

Ok. Missed the thread, new to the newsgroup. Only caught the last two
messages. So if you've been over this then ignore...

Windows XP does not have DOS. It has a DOS-alike thing it does, with some
basic DOS type commands it can do..

So, I beleive that you can boot the real DOS from a floppy or maybe a CD
if you have DOS laying around - like I said - I think. You will have to
reboot to get Windows again of course.....

So if you have Windows 98 laying around, try it's DOS booted from your
(hopefully having it) floppy drive..

...D.

anil jain wrote:

> thanx for reply. still i am unable to run

I think I figured out the problem. I defraged & compressed my 'C'
drive & now I can't run dos programs either. The virtual dos in
XP can't read the compressed data.

You can either try using the DOSBox, a x86 emulator with DOS:
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

That Galen suggested or get Open Office from
http://www.openoffice.org/

Alex,