Dos Based Prog

sir,
I am unable to run Lotus123 & Nc dos based prog on WINXP professional, while
these work well on win 2000
how to boot for dos as my computer is preloaded with Xp
plz suggest
9 answers Last reply
More about based prog

    anil jain wrote:

    > sir,
    > I am unable to run Lotus123 & Nc dos based prog on WINXP professional, while
    > these work well on win 2000
    > how to boot for dos as my computer is preloaded with Xp
    > plz suggest

    No problems here. Even running Ashton-Tate dBase 3+. Of
    course, these old DOS-based programs run in their own DOS
    box. Set them up via the Taskbar and Start Menu Applet ==>
    Start Menu ==> Advanced, in the usual way. Just be careful
    in setting up their properties

    still it is not working. i have to shift to win 2000 platform for running the
    same
    "Tritium" wrote:

    > anil jain wrote:
    >
    > > sir,
    > > I am unable to run Lotus123 & Nc dos based prog on WINXP professional, while
    > > these work well on win 2000
    > > how to boot for dos as my computer is preloaded with Xp
    > > plz suggest
    >
    > No problems here. Even running Ashton-Tate dBase 3+. Of
    > course, these old DOS-based programs run in their own DOS
    > box. Set them up via the Taskbar and Start Menu Applet ==>
    > Start Menu ==> Advanced, in the usual way. Just be careful
    > in setting up their properties

    >> anil jain wrote:

    >> sir, I am unable to run Lotus123 & Nc dos based prog on
    >> WINXP professional, while these work well on win 2000 how
    >> to boot for dos as my computer is preloaded with Xp plz
    >> suggest

    How are you trying to run dos programs?
    I run a dos 3.0 version Quattro on my XP Home computer.
    I put a 'Quattro' folder on my desktop & created shortcuts to the
    ..wkq files. Right click a .wkq file & select Always open with Q.EXE
    Clicking the shortcut opens the program in a dos window.

    Or you can goto the folder you have the Lotus 123 files in &
    select a data file, right click & select Open With, browse to the
    Lotus exe or com file & make sure Always open with is checked.

    Alex,

    thanx for reply. still i am unable to run

    In news:780688CD-E726-4736-B3AB-1ACBAC791B79@microsoft.com,
    anil jain <aniljain@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > thanx for reply. still i am unable to run

    Try this:

    DOSBox, a x86 emulator with DOS:
    http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

    Galen

    anil jain wrote:
    > still it is not working. i have to shift to win 2000 platform for running the
    > same
    > "Tritium" wrote:
    >

    >>anil jain wrote:
    >>

    >>>sir,
    >>>I am unable to run Lotus123 & Nc dos based prog on WINXP professional, while
    >>>these work well on win 2000
    >>>how to boot for dos as my computer is preloaded with Xp
    >>>plz suggest
    >>
    >>No problems here. Even running Ashton-Tate dBase 3+. Of
    >>course, these old DOS-based programs run in their own DOS
    >>box. Set them up via the Taskbar and Start Menu Applet ==>
    >>Start Menu ==> Advanced, in the usual way. Just be careful
    >>in setting up their properties

    Have you tried running in Compatibility Mode? (Right-Click the Icon and
    choose the "Compatibility" tab....)

    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

    yes i tried but in vain.

    <aniljain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >yes i tried but in vain.

    Ok. Missed the thread, new to the newsgroup. Only caught the last two
    messages. So if you've been over this then ignore...

    Windows XP does not have DOS. It has a DOS-alike thing it does, with some
    basic DOS type commands it can do..

    So, I beleive that you can boot the real DOS from a floppy or maybe a CD
    if you have DOS laying around - like I said - I think. You will have to
    reboot to get Windows again of course.....

    So if you have Windows 98 laying around, try it's DOS booted from your
    (hopefully having it) floppy drive..

    ...D.

    anil jain wrote:

    > thanx for reply. still i am unable to run

    I think I figured out the problem. I defraged & compressed my 'C'
    drive & now I can't run dos programs either. The virtual dos in
    XP can't read the compressed data.

    You can either try using the DOSBox, a x86 emulator with DOS:
    http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

    That Galen suggested or get Open Office from
    http://www.openoffice.org/

    Alex,

DOS Microsoft Windows XP