New Motherboard, New XP install?

I want to install a new CPU, M\B & Graphics Card.
My Hard Drive has 3 partitions with Win XP Pro already installed using NTFS;

C:\ Operating System
D:\ Programs
E:\ Data

After a lot of faffing about i've just found out that a new M\B means a new
XP install; after all the tweaking, updates, plugins and hours just getting
the thing right this is a bit disheartening.

How do i minimize the palaver?

Do i have to reformat the whole drive? And reinstall all Programs? Do I
have to re-install SP 1 and then SP2? I also understand that re-activating
XP's a problem too. What other problems do i have to watch out for?

I'd appreciate any advice anyone has, to cut down the trial by error
approach all this means for me.

--
Nick

k35ri04lpbntvrj@jetable.com valid until 2/12/04

--
Nicholas Nolan
10 answers Last reply

    Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "TrickTrash" wrote:

    | I want to install a new CPU, M\B & Graphics Card.
    | My Hard Drive has 3 partitions with Win XP Pro already installed using NTFS;
    |
    | C:\ Operating System
    | D:\ Programs
    | E:\ Data
    |
    | After a lot of faffing about i've just found out that a new M\B means a new
    | XP install; after all the tweaking, updates, plugins and hours just getting
    | the thing right this is a bit disheartening.
    |
    | How do i minimize the palaver?
    |
    | Do i have to reformat the whole drive? And reinstall all Programs? Do I
    | have to re-install SP 1 and then SP2? I also understand that re-activating
    | XP's a problem too. What other problems do i have to watch out for?
    |
    | I'd appreciate any advice anyone has, to cut down the trial by error
    | approach all this means for me.
    |
    | --
    | Nick

    If it was me, I would first remove all of the hard drive partitions, create
    a single new partition using the entire hard drive, and format as NTFS. IMHO
    creating multiple partitions is unnecessary because of the Folders function,
    which allows for all the separation/organization needed. But you may have
    very legitimate reasons for multiple partitions. As I said, IMHO.

    Then do a clean install of the operating system.

    Immediately after that I would use the CD disk that came with the new
    motherboard to install any drivers on that CD. Better yet, I would go to the
    motherboard website and download the latest drivers and see if there is an
    updated BIOS available. If you do decide to flash your BIOS, make sure you
    do it correctly or your computer could become a doorstop. Then go into
    Device Manager to make sure all of your devices are installed correctly. If
    there are any yellow exclamation marks, you have some driver issues that
    need to be resolved.

    After that I would install SP2, followed by going to the Microsoft Windows
    Update webpage to install any critical updates, windows update, and hardware
    updates. By the way, if you do not have SP2 on a CD disk, ask Microsoft to
    mail you one. They are free, and the postage is free as well. It is not
    necessary to install SP1 because SP2 covers both.

    Then I would reinstall my office software, etc., and restore other files and
    data that I had backed up before the hardware change.

    If you have your original Windows XP CD, and the Product Key that goes with
    it, reactivating Windows will not be a problem. Just follow the Activate Now
    procedure.

    Regards.

    Thank's for the replies, i appreciate your pointers.
    Unfortunately, my ambitions are still far in advance of my knowledge just
    yet & i still have a lot to absorb.

    I've been reading up all the articles your links pointed me to and one thing
    i came across is this: http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak2068.aspx which suggests
    replacing the M\B specific IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller with a Standard one,
    swap the M\B's & boot into Safe Mode where you install the new M\B specific
    drivers. Anyone have any thoughts? Yes, it does sound too painless to be
    true, but that's what i want: I want what i want without hard work!

    I should also point out that i put this system together myself & = Upgraded
    = from Win 98 SE. Does that make a difference?

    Also I've no burner or other way of storing data other than the 1 HDD and
    the different partitions on it, keeping all my data & downloads safe from
    any messing i have to do with the O\S or Progs.

    Papa! thank's for the specific answers - it helps.

    This whole thing still fills me with dread. Oh well, groping -slightly
    less- blindly onwards

    TrickTrash

    On 28/11/2004 TrickTrash wrote:

    > Thank's for the replies, i appreciate your pointers.
    > Unfortunately, my ambitions are still far in advance of my knowledge
    > just yet & i still have a lot to absorb.

    [snipped]

    > This whole thing still fills me with dread. Oh well, groping
    > -slightly less- blindly onwards
    >
    > TrickTrash

    Treat it as an adventure!

    I really think you would be much better off doing a clean install,
    especially as you have upgraded from W98, you'll end up with a much
    more stable and responsive PC.

    You've got three partitions so you can backup existing data to BOTH
    those partitions giving you two backups, if you know anybody with an
    external HD that would plug into your USB port you could borrow that
    for a day or two to give you a backup on a physically separate drive -
    don't forget to save your Outlook mail file, your Windows address book
    and your 'Favorites'.

    The process set out by 'Papa' is neat - whatever you do DON'T connect
    to the Internet after the re-install until after you have a working
    firewall, not even 'just for a couple of minutes', get all your updated
    drivers now before you re-install.

    I prefer separate drives/partitions for the OS and data, rather than
    just one big partition as suggested by 'Papa', but as he says we are
    all different and what suits one person may not suit another.

    I keep absolutely no data on my 'C' drive, I have a physically separate
    drive for data (and it's backed up to two different places most days).
    That means that at any time I can I can boot to the XP CD, re-install
    and I can guarantee my data is intact. Only you can decide what is
    right for you.

    In 99% of cases XP just installs, sit and watch it, answer the
    questions it asks as you go through the install and in a couple of
    hours you will be up and running with a new, faster and stable PC.

    When you are ready you should think about getting an external HD for
    backing up your data, it's quick and easy to do and you'll sleep better
    at night :-)

    --
    Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK

    Jeff

    Thanks for advice; and i think i will be doing a proper reinstall, once i
    bite the bullet.

    Do i then have to reinstall all the programs and plugins etc in my D:\ drive
    in order for them to be properly registered with the O\S?

    Adventure? It's the thought of making a basic mistake which cascades into a
    total balls up that i'm worried about! I've learnt more this way then any
    other but it has my nerves shot.

    yours

    TrickTrash

    "Jeff Gaines" <whitedragon101@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On 28/11/2004 TrickTrash wrote:
    >
    >> Thank's for the replies, i appreciate your pointers.
    >> Unfortunately, my ambitions are still far in advance of my knowledge
    >> just yet & i still have a lot to absorb.
    >>

    > [snipped]
    >
    >> This whole thing still fills me with dread. Oh well, groping
    >> -slightly less- blindly onwards
    >>
    >> TrickTrash
    >
    > Treat it as an adventure!
    >
    > I really think you would be much better off doing a clean install,
    > especially as you have upgraded from W98, you'll end up with a much
    > more stable and responsive PC.
    >
    > You've got three partitions so you can backup existing data to BOTH
    > those partitions giving you two backups, if you know anybody with an
    > external HD that would plug into your USB port you could borrow that
    > for a day or two to give you a backup on a physically separate drive -
    > don't forget to save your Outlook mail file, your Windows address book
    > and your 'Favorites'.
    >
    > The process set out by 'Papa' is neat - whatever you do DON'T connect
    > to the Internet after the re-install until after you have a working
    > firewall, not even 'just for a couple of minutes', get all your updated
    > drivers now before you re-install.
    >
    > I prefer separate drives/partitions for the OS and data, rather than
    > just one big partition as suggested by 'Papa', but as he says we are
    > all different and what suits one person may not suit another.
    >
    > I keep absolutely no data on my 'C' drive, I have a physically separate
    > drive for data (and it's backed up to two different places most days).
    > That means that at any time I can I can boot to the XP CD, re-install
    > and I can guarantee my data is intact. Only you can decide what is
    > right for you.
    >
    > In 99% of cases XP just installs, sit and watch it, answer the
    > questions it asks as you go through the install and in a couple of
    > hours you will be up and running with a new, faster and stable PC.
    >
    > When you are ready you should think about getting an external HD for
    > backing up your data, it's quick and easy to do and you'll sleep better
    > at night :-)
    >
    > --
    > Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK

    A reinstall will just update the OS, installed programs and
    settings will remain as is. After a repair install, you
    will need to run Windows Update.
    If you have already installed SP2 and your XP CD is a
    straight version, you may need to create a slipstreamed CD
    with SP2.

    "TrickTrash" <guardclone-news@removethisyahoo.co.uk> wrote
    in message news:ePUuWNW1EHA.3408@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

    On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 16:00:07 -0000, TrickTrash wrote:

    > Do i then have to reinstall all the programs and plugins etc in my D:\ drive
    > in order for them to be properly registered with the O\S?

    If you do a repair install and it completes with no issues, there is no
    need to reinstall all programs, etc:

    If you do a clean install - you'll need to reinstall the extras:

    In both cases, you'll need to re-apply updates for Windows and possibly
    some Windows components (Media Player, Messenger, etc). Suggestion:
    Download the complete SP2 installation beforehand. Install that after XP is
    up and running. Then, with a firewall engaged, go online and obtain the
    small number of critical updates that have been released since SP2's
    release.

    Technet download for SP2 (labeled "network install" but can be applied to a
    standalone computer):
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    Or you can order the CD:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default810.mspx

    At this point, you may have a driver or two that needs updating and can
    take care of those on a one by one basis.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    On 28/11/2004 TrickTrash wrote:

    > Jeff
    >
    > Thanks for advice; and i think i will be doing a proper reinstall,
    > once i bite the bullet.
    >
    > Do i then have to reinstall all the programs and plugins etc in my
    > D:\ drive in order for them to be properly registered with the O\S?
    >
    > Adventure? It's the thought of making a basic mistake which cascades
    > into a total balls up that i'm worried about! I've learnt more this
    > way then any other but it has my nerves shot.
    >
    > yours
    >
    > TrickTrash

    Yes, after a full re-install of XP you will also have to re-install
    your apps, You don't have to re-install them all at once, put them on
    as you need them.

    The up side is you will have completely lost all traces of any trial
    apps you may have installed in the past and no longer use.

    As long as your data is backed up you can have as many attempts at
    installing as you like. The PC is only a storage device for data at the
    end of the day, everything else can be installed from the original CD's.

    You might become addicted, I re-install every couple of months as a
    matter of course.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK

    Thanks to all for your advice; I've a much clearer picture of what to do
    and -almost now- the courage to do it

    > On 28/11/2004 TrickTrash wrote:
    >
    >> Jeff
    >>
    >> Thanks for advice; and i think i will be doing a proper reinstall,
    >> once i bite the bullet.
    >>
    >> Do i then have to reinstall all the programs and plugins etc in my
    >> D:\ drive in order for them to be properly registered with the O\S?
    >>
    >> Adventure? It's the thought of making a basic mistake which cascades
    >> into a total balls up that i'm worried about! I've learnt more this
    >> way then any other but it has my nerves shot.
    >>
    >> yours
    >>
    >> TrickTrash
    >
    > Yes, after a full re-install of XP you will also have to re-install
    > your apps, You don't have to re-install them all at once, put them on
    > as you need them.
    >
    > The up side is you will have completely lost all traces of any trial
    > apps you may have installed in the past and no longer use.
    >
    > As long as your data is backed up you can have as many attempts at
    > installing as you like. The PC is only a storage device for data at the
    > end of the day, everything else can be installed from the original CD's.
    >
    > You might become addicted, I re-install every couple of months as a
    > matter of course.
    >
    > --
    > Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK

    I tried out that tip which suggested swapping the M\B specific IDE
    controller for a standard one, Swap the M\B, boot into safe mode & install
    the new M\B specific drivers.

    I've only been running it for 24 hours so far, but I've been putting it
    through it's paces -all that sexy new gear; how could you not!

    So far it's been stable & completely painless.

    The whole process was utterly painless and -so far- I haven't been told I
    need to redo activation. I still have enough 'votes' but I'm not too clear
    on how these tot up.

    I've got some other unrelated issues, so I will be doing a clean install,
    but I thought I'd try this as it sounded so easy.

    Good luck & thank's for the help

    TrickTrash

    > Thanks to all for your advice; I've a much clearer picture of what to do
    > and -almost now- the courage to do it
    >
    > yours
    >
    > TrickTrash
    >
    > "Jeff Gaines" <whitedragon101@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> On 28/11/2004 TrickTrash wrote:
    >>
    >>> Jeff
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for advice; and i think i will be doing a proper reinstall,
    >>> once i bite the bullet.
    >>>
    >>> Do i then have to reinstall all the programs and plugins etc in my
    >>> D:\ drive in order for them to be properly registered with the O\S?
    >>>
    >>> Adventure? It's the thought of making a basic mistake which cascades
    >>> into a total balls up that i'm worried about! I've learnt more this
    >>> way then any other but it has my nerves shot.
    >>>
    >>> yours
    >>>
    >>> TrickTrash
    >>
    >> Yes, after a full re-install of XP you will also have to re-install
    >> your apps, You don't have to re-install them all at once, put them on
    >> as you need them.
    >>
    >> The up side is you will have completely lost all traces of any trial
    >> apps you may have installed in the past and no longer use.
    >>
    >> As long as your data is backed up you can have as many attempts at
    >> installing as you like. The PC is only a storage device for data at the
    >> end of the day, everything else can be installed from the original CD's.
    >>
    >> You might become addicted, I re-install every couple of months as a
    >> matter of course.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK

Motherboards Windows XP