Eternally crashing Machine

mattburklund

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2002
ok, I will try to give you all the facts: A month ago I had a power loss for a split second(I have a surge protector), the computer immediatley rebooted and froze right after the bios. No matter what I did that was as far as I could get, until I reset the power then all was fine. About 5 days after that I installed media player nine and here is where things start to get funny, a few days after that whenever I started my computer it would boot to the windows xp page and then start to reboot again, and again, until I just shut off the computer. I took out all the pci cards and checked the ram, ram is fine, but when I put the sound card back in it causes me to eternally reboot. so I uninstalled all the sound software, and I still had the problem, so I returned my sound card for a new one, thinking it was fried, and when I installed the new one today, same problem. It happens no matter what pci slot I put it in, and the other things in those pci slots work fine. Its not the power supply, or ram. What do you think it is? I can only run my computer without my sound card.

I have:
asus cusl2 900mhz
New audigy mp3(old one worked great no problems)
xp

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Look at the capacitors on your motherboard (they look like little cans sticking off, usualy around the cpu socket). Look to see if tehy are domed (usualy flat) and or leaking anything.

I had similar problems on a friends machine untill we realised that a series of power fluctuations (spikes and lows) weakened the power regulator on the motherboard.

<A HREF="http://tekkoshocon.com/" target="_new">http://tekkoshocon.com/</A> Southeast Pennsylvania gets an Anime Convention!

mattburklund

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2002
dont see any that are leaking and or poped out, good idea though. If they are bad are they always blown? or can that be bad and look normal?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It could be a power problem, or a corrupt file in Windows. I had the same think happen in XP after a crash, all attempts to recover only resulted in more corruption, and eventually the drive was so corrupted that I couldn't even access a bunch of files. I believe this ONLY happens in XP, as I've crashed 98SE doing the same stuff before and never seen this happen.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, would Creative REALLY make buggy software? LOL.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>