Connecting a access point/router to a lan

I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless Router/4 port hub. I am trying to connect
to our office network via rj45 cable. We have a couple of laptops with
wireless that we want to be able to connect to the server without having to
plug them in. We are using MS Server 2003. I can't get the laptop to connect
to the network or the internet. Do I need to set up an IP address on each
laptop? The router has DHCP. I'm not too sure what I need to be looking for.
The laptops see the wireless router just fine. Does the rj45 cable need to
be plugged into the lan or wan plug-in on the back of the router? And do I
need to set it up for static ip or obtain automatically?

Thanks,
Greg
2 answers Last reply
More about connecting access point router

    Greg <ghays@vc.com> wrote:
    > I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless Router/4 port hub. I am trying to connect
    > to our office network via rj45 cable. We have a couple of laptops with
    > wireless that we want to be able to connect to the server without having to
    > plug them in. We are using MS Server 2003. I can't get the laptop to connect
    > to the network or the internet. Do I need to set up an IP address on each
    > laptop? The router has DHCP. I'm not too sure what I need to be looking for.
    > The laptops see the wireless router just fine. Does the rj45 cable need to
    > be plugged into the lan or wan plug-in on the back of the router? And do I
    > need to set it up for static ip or obtain automatically?

    If you have DHCP on your comany network, you want to disable DHCP in the
    Linksys. Some versions of the Linksys firmware have an option to switch
    between a NAT gateway and a normal Router. You would then use the WAN port
    to connect to your upstream network. Advanced Tab - Dynamic Routing -
    Router.

    --
    ---

    > I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless Router/4 port hub. I am trying to
    connect
    > to our office network via rj45 cable. We have a couple of laptops with
    > wireless that we want to be able to connect to the server without having
    > plug them in. We are using MS Server 2003. I can't get the laptop to
    connect
    > to the network or the internet. Do I need to set up an IP address on each
    > laptop? The router has DHCP. I'm not too sure what I need to be looking
    for.
    > The laptops see the wireless router just fine. Does the rj45 cable need to
    > be plugged into the lan or wan plug-in on the back of the router? And do I
    > need to set it up for static ip or obtain automatically?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Greg

    First. You need to plug network cable into LAN port in BEF11S4. I don't how
    your network works, so i can't give you a right answer about configuring IP
    settings. If your MS Server 2003 have DHCP service started you don't have
    to set static IPs - laptops would get its own IPs.

    Sorry for my english.
    Greetz Broken - Poland

Laptops Wireless Router Routers Wireless Networking