Connecting a access point/router to a lan

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
August 24, 2004 12:42:19 PM

I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless Router/4 port hub. I am trying to connect
to our office network via rj45 cable. We have a couple of laptops with
wireless that we want to be able to connect to the server without having to
plug them in. We are using MS Server 2003. I can't get the laptop to connect
to the network or the internet. Do I need to set up an IP address on each
laptop? The router has DHCP. I'm not too sure what I need to be looking for.
The laptops see the wireless router just fine. Does the rj45 cable need to
be plugged into the lan or wan plug-in on the back of the router? And do I
need to set it up for static ip or obtain automatically?

Thanks,
Greg
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 25, 2004 3:19:08 AM

Greg <ghays@vc.com> wrote:
> I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless Router/4 port hub. I am trying to connect
> to our office network via rj45 cable. We have a couple of laptops with
> wireless that we want to be able to connect to the server without having to
> plug them in. We are using MS Server 2003. I can't get the laptop to connect
> to the network or the internet. Do I need to set up an IP address on each
> laptop? The router has DHCP. I'm not too sure what I need to be looking for.
> The laptops see the wireless router just fine. Does the rj45 cable need to
> be plugged into the lan or wan plug-in on the back of the router? And do I
> need to set it up for static ip or obtain automatically?

If you have DHCP on your comany network, you want to disable DHCP in the
Linksys. Some versions of the Linksys firmware have an option to switch
between a NAT gateway and a normal Router. You would then use the WAN port
to connect to your upstream network. Advanced Tab - Dynamic Routing -
Router.

--
---
August 25, 2004 4:59:34 AM

> I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless Router/4 port hub. I am trying to
connect
> to our office network via rj45 cable. We have a couple of laptops with
> wireless that we want to be able to connect to the server without having
> plug them in. We are using MS Server 2003. I can't get the laptop to
connect
> to the network or the internet. Do I need to set up an IP address on each
> laptop? The router has DHCP. I'm not too sure what I need to be looking
for.
> The laptops see the wireless router just fine. Does the rj45 cable need to
> be plugged into the lan or wan plug-in on the back of the router? And do I
> need to set it up for static ip or obtain automatically?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

First. You need to plug network cable into LAN port in BEF11S4. I don't how
your network works, so i can't give you a right answer about configuring IP
settings. If your MS Server 2003 have DHCP service started you don't have
to set static IPs - laptops would get its own IPs.

Sorry for my english.
Greetz Broken - Poland