Your question

Motherboard not detecting 2nd memory module

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Crucial
  • Memory
Last response: in Motherboards
February 6, 2003 6:10:04 PM

I just installed another 256MB stick of Crucial PC2100 and the system only says 256MB is installed (should be 512MB). THey're both 2 bank modules and on an MSI KT3 Ultra. I've tried many combinations of moving the modules around and cleared the CMOS. I tested the modules individually and they each work fine. Are there any particular problems with this motherboard and multiple memory modules?

More about : motherboard detecting 2nd memory module

a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
February 7, 2003 2:20:27 AM

Some boards share a bank, usually between slots 2 and 3. Are you using 3 modules?

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>
February 7, 2003 4:04:42 PM

I finally got it working. The two slots I tried it in were holding the module really loosely (when fully locked down and secured). I just had to wiggle it around a little then it finally worked. Then I tapped it again and it stopped working.. then I wiggled it around again and it started working. Weird.
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
February 7, 2003 7:17:07 PM

Try spitting on it, spit conducts electricity. NO, J/K!

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>
!