I have DVD capabilities on my XP pc and was wondering if you could store
files, etc. on those type of disks? I know they can hold much more han
CD's....

Take Care; Marty

certainly, but you'll need a third party DVD burning
program, such as Nero or Roxio...
Your DVD must also be a DVD-RW of some version, not just a
read-only DVD

<martymkm@webtv.net> wrote in message
|I have DVD capabilities on my XP pc and was wondering if
you could store
| files, etc. on those type of disks? I know they can hold
much more han
| CD's....
|
| Take Care; Marty

What did you mean by, "Your DVD must also be a DVD-RW of some version, not
just a
read-only DVD"

You can use read only DVD's for most everything.

> certainly, but you'll need a third party DVD burning
> program, such as Nero or Roxio...
> Your DVD must also be a DVD-RW of some version, not just a
> read-only DVD

> <martymkm@webtv.net> wrote in message
> |I have DVD capabilities on my XP pc and was wondering if
> you could store
> | files, etc. on those type of disks? I know they can hold
> much more han
> | CD's....
> |
> | Take Care; Marty

Right, but only if the DVD drive is a writer, and the user has both
appropriate software for writing to DVD's, and also has a supply of
DVD+-R/RW media (whichever is appropriate for their system). A straight DVD
is not capable of being written to, I think this is what Jim meant to
convey.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Nick Burns" <thedoc@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> What did you mean by, "Your DVD must also be a DVD-RW of some version, not
> just a
> read-only DVD"
>

> You can use read only DVD's for most everything.
>

> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
>> certainly, but you'll need a third party DVD burning
>> program, such as Nero or Roxio...
>> Your DVD must also be a DVD-RW of some version, not just a
>> read-only DVD
>>
>> --
>> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
>> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
>>

>> <martymkm@webtv.net> wrote in message
>> |I have DVD capabilities on my XP pc and was wondering if
>> you could store
>> | files, etc. on those type of disks? I know they can hold
>> much more han
>> | CD's....
>> |
>> | Take Care; Marty

Much clearer this morning, I get it now thanks. Later on.

> Right, but only if the DVD drive is a writer, and the user has both
> appropriate software for writing to DVD's, and also has a supply of
> DVD+-R/RW media (whichever is appropriate for their system). A straight
DVD
> is not capable of being written to, I think this is what Jim meant to
> convey.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Nick Burns" <thedoc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > What did you mean by, "Your DVD must also be a DVD-RW of some version,
not
> > just a
> > read-only DVD"
> >

> > You can use read only DVD's for most everything.
> >

> > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
> >> certainly, but you'll need a third party DVD burning
> >> program, such as Nero or Roxio...
> >> Your DVD must also be a DVD-RW of some version, not just a
> >> read-only DVD
> >>
> >> --
> >> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
> >> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
> >>

> >> <martymkm@webtv.net> wrote in message
> >> you could store
> >> much more han

I only have the DVD-Rom right now but I have a feeling Santa is going to
bring me a DVD-RW for Christmas. (I caught him checking them out at
Circuit City last night) Myself, I was in there comparative pricing Nero
and Roxio....

Take Care; Marty

Might also want to look at this one - Alcohol 120%:
http://trial.alcohol-soft.com/en/alcohol_info.php

--

>I only have the DVD-Rom right now but I have a feeling Santa is going to
> bring me a DVD-RW for Christmas. (I caught him checking them out at
> Circuit City last night) Myself, I was in there comparative pricing Nero
> and Roxio....
>
> Take Care; Marty

Shakey

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

<martymkm@webtv.net> wrote in message
>I have DVD capabilities on my XP pc and was wondering if you could store
> files, etc. on those type of disks? I know they can hold much more han
> CD's....
>
> Take Care; Marty

Welcome to the great world of DVD burning. I hope you have better end
results than I did.
No I did not follow these suggestions on a two month old machine. I was
impressed that they responded but he sure didn't sound confident.
SG
[Details]
I successfully make and use a data backup DVD using
recordNow.
I add another file using recordNow and recordNow lists it
as on the DVD and shows additional file
space used. TOTAL used around 2gb.
XPpro windows explorer shows only the previously recorded
files leaving me with no way to recover
the new files.
How do I use this as data backup if I cannot read added
files back from the DVD? Obviously I am
doing something wrong.
Thank you
Mel S.

[Web Conversation]
<Tech-Support Response>: by Kevin Jamieson, 11/01/2004
5:52 PM
[Kevin Jamieson -- 11/01/04 5:52 PM]
I'd like you to try running a PX Engine update and firmware
update. The PX Engine is the burning
engine we use to burn CDs. The firmware is like a driver
for your CD or DVD burner. Updating these
applications allows programs to talk to the drive easier.
Also, update ASPI if these first two
suggestions fail.

Update PX Engine:
http://support.sonic.com/dwnld/engine.asp?type=desktop&product=desktop
Fill in your name and registered email and a download code
will be sent to your email. Use this
download code to download.

Update your Firmware:
http://patches.sonic.com/DTG_DOCS/CD.DVD_info_firmware.htm

Update ASPI:
Go to the link below and download "Windows ASPI drivers
version v4.71.2"
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=%2FP
roduct%2FASPI-4.70&prodkey=Windows+ASPI+Package

Once downloaded, unzip - run the file "aspiinst" located in
the Adaptec folder (on the top of your
C drive) - restart, and the new ASPI layer should be
installed. Let me know if this helps.

Let me know how it goes
Kevin Jamieson