Internet Explorer

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I can't figure out why my Internet Explorer window will not stay "Active."
While on line, the window I'm viewing becomes "background" for no apparent
reason. The border on the Internet Explorer becomes faded blue and I have to
left-click my mouse on the page to bring it back to active. Would appreciate
some help.
8 answers Last reply
More about internet explorer
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    In Windows, generally speaking, the bright border goes to the program that
    is currently active. When the border becomes dim, that means that another
    program is doing something.

    What applications are open in the background? Could any of them be doing
    something while you are working in your window? Could you have a virus or
    spyware?

    Ted Zieglar

    "Beetlebaum" <Beetlebaum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:152A88EF-1261-4902-94C8-5F4CC7DCE673@microsoft.com...
    >I can't figure out why my Internet Explorer window will not stay "Active."
    > While on line, the window I'm viewing becomes "background" for no apparent
    > reason. The border on the Internet Explorer becomes faded blue and I have
    > to
    > left-click my mouse on the page to bring it back to active. Would
    > appreciate
    > some help.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    There are no "Known" programs running in the background other than IE and
    Microsoft Word. I have spyblocker enabled and my virus definitions are up to
    date.
    Using Windows XP SP

    "Ted Zieglar" wrote:

    > In Windows, generally speaking, the bright border goes to the program that
    > is currently active. When the border becomes dim, that means that another
    > program is doing something.
    >
    > What applications are open in the background? Could any of them be doing
    > something while you are working in your window? Could you have a virus or
    > spyware?
    >
    > Ted Zieglar
    >
    > "Beetlebaum" <Beetlebaum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:152A88EF-1261-4902-94C8-5F4CC7DCE673@microsoft.com...
    > >I can't figure out why my Internet Explorer window will not stay "Active."
    > > While on line, the window I'm viewing becomes "background" for no apparent
    > > reason. The border on the Internet Explorer becomes faded blue and I have
    > > to
    > > left-click my mouse on the page to bring it back to active. Would
    > > appreciate
    > > some help.
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hi ... Its a bit of work but I think its worth it , Try the following
    First thing you should do is download hijackthis and have someone to view
    your log , here where you can get hijackthis from

    http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_hijackthis.html

    Here where if you like you can post your hijackthis log for assistance

    http://spywarewarrior.com/index.php

    http://forums.net-integration.net/

    http://computercops.biz/forums.html

    Now if you have an Anti-Virus Program which is fairly new ( mostly under a
    year )and you are sure that you are still recieving update definitions ?
    Then update yours now ....
    Then afterward download a few programs , Like these here below

    first one is Ad aware ( free Version )

    http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/

    Start up this program , What you need to get is the most latest update for
    it ,run JUST the "updated" option and afterward close the program for later
    use ...

    Next program >> Spybot Search and Destroy ( Free )

    http://www.safer-networking.net/en/download/index.html

    Next Program >> SpywareBlaster ( Free )

    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

    Next Mcafee Stinger

    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    Okay now perform this operation from this website below

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310405

    Okay this is next to perform below :

    Click Start. >>Open My Computer. Select the Tools menu and click Folder
    Options. Select the View Tab.
    Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and
    folders. Uncheck the Hide protected
    operating system files (recommended) option. Click Yes to confirm. Click OK.
    DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE WARNING POP UP WINDOW THIS IS NORMAL , just click yes

    Now its time to start your computer in Safe Mode
    How to start up in safe mode , there is 2 ways in doing so , just choice one
    method only ... Look at this website below

    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=61#winxo

    Okay once in safe mode do the following : Clear out the Temporary internet
    files and other temp files.
    Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel >Internet Options.
    Under the General tab click the Delete temporary internet files,
    delete all Offline content as well. Clear out Cookies ... Now close
    eveything and be back at your desktop

    Now click the start buttom > then the Search/Find option > click Files or
    folders > in the named box, type: *.tmp , click search and choose Edit >
    select all -> File > delete.

    Empty/delete the entire contents of the C:\Windows\temp folder and C:\temp
    folder, (Contents only but not the folder itself.)

    This one too if it is there C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local
    Settings\Temp\
    Delete the recycling bin ...

    Now start up Mcafee Stinger and afterward Ad Aware and just basically
    perform the options its set at for now ... And remove whatever it finds ...
    Start spybor search and destory and do the same with this program
    Also with the spyware blaster , just clean what it finds ....

    Now use your Anti - Virus Program and run it and see what it finds ...If
    your anti-virus finds anything try the repair option first, if that can't be
    done then delete the file...
    Now restart your computer back to normal mode and reset the setting back
    too...Once your computer is up and running do the following :
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310405
    and this next >>> :
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/xpsysrst.mspx
    Okay after all that was done and you want to be sure its clean go to these
    anti virus scan sites and do the scan from each site if you like

    http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp

    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Scanners.htm

    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/licence.php

    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/home.asp

    http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx


    "Beetlebaum" <Beetlebaum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:152A88EF-1261-4902-94C8-5F4CC7DCE673@microsoft.com...
    >I can't figure out why my Internet Explorer window will not stay "Active."
    > While on line, the window I'm viewing becomes "background" for no apparent
    > reason. The border on the Internet Explorer becomes faded blue and I have
    > to
    > left-click my mouse on the page to bring it back to active. Would
    > appreciate
    > some help.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Beetlebaum wrote:
    > I can't figure out why my Internet Explorer window will not stay "Active."
    > While on line, the window I'm viewing becomes "background" for no apparent
    > reason. The border on the Internet Explorer becomes faded blue and I
    > have to left-click my mouse on the page to bring it back to active.
    > Would appreciate some help.

    Hi;

    Focus lost when clicking scroll bar:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;838386 In another
    post you state "Using Windows XP SP" -- is that SP2 or 1/1a? What is the
    version number of Mshtml.dll in your System32 folder?


    When this happens, can you tell if the focus has shifted to something inside
    the IE webpage you are reading versus IE itself? If that is the case, are
    you using any sort of Accessibility functions or "reader" application to
    assist in viewing the screen?

    --

    ....Sky

    ================
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Thanks for the hotfix tip. This sounds like the problem I'm having.
    However, my IE window becomes inactive while no apparent actions are being
    taken. Even when I'm typing in a MS Word document with the IE in the
    background, the Word document will become inactive and I have to left-click
    my mouse to bring the window back to active. Does this help to explain my
    problem more?

    I'm using XP Home edition with service pack 2 and the version of MShtml.dll
    is
    6.0.2900.2180.

    Just wondering if you might know when MS might release a SP-2 update to deal
    with this issue?

    Thank you kindly.

    "Sky King" wrote:

    > Beetlebaum wrote:
    > > I can't figure out why my Internet Explorer window will not stay "Active."
    > > While on line, the window I'm viewing becomes "background" for no apparent
    > > reason. The border on the Internet Explorer becomes faded blue and I
    > > have to left-click my mouse on the page to bring it back to active.
    > > Would appreciate some help.
    >
    > Hi;
    >
    > Focus lost when clicking scroll bar:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;838386 In another
    > post you state "Using Windows XP SP" -- is that SP2 or 1/1a? What is the
    > version number of Mshtml.dll in your System32 folder?
    >
    >
    > When this happens, can you tell if the focus has shifted to something inside
    > the IE webpage you are reading versus IE itself? If that is the case, are
    > you using any sort of Accessibility functions or "reader" application to
    > assist in viewing the screen?
    >
    > --
    >
    > ....Sky
    >
    > ================
    >
    >
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Beetlebaum wrote:
    > Thanks for the hotfix tip. This sounds like the problem I'm having.
    > However, my IE window becomes inactive while no apparent actions are being
    > taken. Even when I'm typing in a MS Word document with the IE in the
    > background, the Word document will become inactive and I have to
    > left-click my mouse to bring the window back to active. Does this help
    > to explain my problem more?

    The simplest/easiest/safest way to adjust this is to use TweakUI (a powertoy
    from MS). The option to prevent apps from stealing focus is found in the
    General section under (tada! <g>) Focus. I highly recommend you use
    TweakUI, as there are many other benefits. You can find the XP version
    here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx


    If you don't want to use TweakUI for some reason, you can set this yourself
    by editing the Registry. Standard warnings/cautions apply about editing the
    Registry.

    Open RegEdit (click Start/Run, type "regedit" and press Enter) and go to
    this key:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

    In the right pane, look for the subkey named "ForegroundLockTimeout"

    If the value is zero, right click the "ForegroundLockTimeout" subkey and
    from the right-click menu select Modify. Change the value to 200000
    (Decimal) which is "30D40" Hex.

    While there you can also set the option for how other apps notify you that
    they need the focus. Set the "ForegroundFlashCount" to zero if you want an
    indefinite flash of that other program's taskbar icon, or set it to some
    number of your choice.

    Press the F5 function key to Refresh, then close RegEdit. Actually best if
    you Restart at this point, but not strictly necessary.

    HTH :)

    --

    ....Sky

    ================
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I noticed in PowerToys the TweakUI is listed for XP SP-1. Does it matter
    that I'm
    using SP-2?

    "Sky King" wrote:

    > Beetlebaum wrote:
    > > Thanks for the hotfix tip. This sounds like the problem I'm having.
    > > However, my IE window becomes inactive while no apparent actions are being
    > > taken. Even when I'm typing in a MS Word document with the IE in the
    > > background, the Word document will become inactive and I have to
    > > left-click my mouse to bring the window back to active. Does this help
    > > to explain my problem more?
    >
    > The simplest/easiest/safest way to adjust this is to use TweakUI (a powertoy
    > from MS). The option to prevent apps from stealing focus is found in the
    > General section under (tada! <g>) Focus. I highly recommend you use
    > TweakUI, as there are many other benefits. You can find the XP version
    > here:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
    >
    >
    > If you don't want to use TweakUI for some reason, you can set this yourself
    > by editing the Registry. Standard warnings/cautions apply about editing the
    > Registry.
    >
    > Open RegEdit (click Start/Run, type "regedit" and press Enter) and go to
    > this key:
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
    >
    > In the right pane, look for the subkey named "ForegroundLockTimeout"
    >
    > If the value is zero, right click the "ForegroundLockTimeout" subkey and
    > from the right-click menu select Modify. Change the value to 200000
    > (Decimal) which is "30D40" Hex.
    >
    > While there you can also set the option for how other apps notify you that
    > they need the focus. Set the "ForegroundFlashCount" to zero if you want an
    > indefinite flash of that other program's taskbar icon, or set it to some
    > number of your choice.
    >
    > Press the F5 function key to Refresh, then close RegEdit. Actually best if
    > you Restart at this point, but not strictly necessary.
    >
    > HTH :)
    >
    > --
    >
    > ....Sky
    >
    > ================
    >
    >
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Beetlebaum wrote:
    > I noticed in PowerToys the TweakUI is listed for XP SP-1. Does it matter
    > that I'm using SP-2?

    Nope, doesn't matter. Works fine with SP2.


    --

    ....Sky

    ================
Ask a new question

Read More

Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP