Internet Explorer

I can't figure out why my Internet Explorer window will not stay "Active."
While on line, the window I'm viewing becomes "background" for no apparent
reason. The border on the Internet Explorer becomes faded blue and I have to
left-click my mouse on the page to bring it back to active. Would appreciate
some help.

In Windows, generally speaking, the bright border goes to the program that
is currently active. When the border becomes dim, that means that another
program is doing something.

What applications are open in the background? Could any of them be doing
something while you are working in your window? Could you have a virus or
spyware?

Ted Zieglar

"Beetlebaum" <Beetlebaum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can't figure out why my Internet Explorer window will not stay "Active."
> While on line, the window I'm viewing becomes "background" for no apparent
> reason. The border on the Internet Explorer becomes faded blue and I have
> left-click my mouse on the page to bring it back to active. Would
> appreciate
> some help.

There are no "Known" programs running in the background other than IE and
Microsoft Word. I have spyblocker enabled and my virus definitions are up to
date.
Using Windows XP SP

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> In Windows, generally speaking, the bright border goes to the program that
> is currently active. When the border becomes dim, that means that another
> program is doing something.
>
> What applications are open in the background? Could any of them be doing
> something while you are working in your window? Could you have a virus or
> spyware?
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "Beetlebaum" <Beetlebaum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I can't figure out why my Internet Explorer window will not stay "Active."
> > While on line, the window I'm viewing becomes "background" for no apparent
> > reason. The border on the Internet Explorer becomes faded blue and I have
> > left-click my mouse on the page to bring it back to active. Would
> > appreciate
> > some help.

Hi ... Its a bit of work but I think its worth it , Try the following
First thing you should do is download hijackthis and have someone to view
your log , here where you can get hijackthis from

http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_hijackthis.html

Here where if you like you can post your hijackthis log for assistance

http://spywarewarrior.com/index.php

http://forums.net-integration.net/

http://computercops.biz/forums.html

Now if you have an Anti-Virus Program which is fairly new ( mostly under a
year )and you are sure that you are still recieving update definitions ?
Then update yours now ....
Then afterward download a few programs , Like these here below

first one is Ad aware ( free Version )

Start up this program , What you need to get is the most latest update for
it ,run JUST the "updated" option and afterward close the program for later
use ...

Next program >> Spybot Search and Destroy ( Free )

http://www.safer-networking.net/en/download/index.html

Next Program >> SpywareBlaster ( Free )

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

Next Mcafee Stinger

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Okay now perform this operation from this website below

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310405

Okay this is next to perform below :

Click Start. >>Open My Computer. Select the Tools menu and click Folder
Options. Select the View Tab.
Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and
folders. Uncheck the Hide protected
operating system files (recommended) option. Click Yes to confirm. Click OK.
DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE WARNING POP UP WINDOW THIS IS NORMAL , just click yes

Now its time to start your computer in Safe Mode
How to start up in safe mode , there is 2 ways in doing so , just choice one
method only ... Look at this website below

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=61#winxo

Okay once in safe mode do the following : Clear out the Temporary internet
files and other temp files.
Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel >Internet Options.
Under the General tab click the Delete temporary internet files,
delete all Offline content as well. Clear out Cookies ... Now close
eveything and be back at your desktop

Now click the start buttom > then the Search/Find option > click Files or
folders > in the named box, type: *.tmp , click search and choose Edit >
select all -> File > delete.

Empty/delete the entire contents of the C:\Windows\temp folder and C:\temp
folder, (Contents only but not the folder itself.)

This one too if it is there C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local
Settings\Temp\
Delete the recycling bin ...

Now start up Mcafee Stinger and afterward Ad Aware and just basically
perform the options its set at for now ... And remove whatever it finds ...
Start spybor search and destory and do the same with this program
Also with the spyware blaster , just clean what it finds ....

Now use your Anti - Virus Program and run it and see what it finds ...If
your anti-virus finds anything try the repair option first, if that can't be
done then delete the file...
Now restart your computer back to normal mode and reset the setting back
too...Once your computer is up and running do the following :
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310405
and this next >>> :
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/xpsysrst.mspx
Okay after all that was done and you want to be sure its clean go to these
anti virus scan sites and do the scan from each site if you like

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Scanners.htm

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/home.asp

Beetlebaum wrote:
> I can't figure out why my Internet Explorer window will not stay "Active."
> While on line, the window I'm viewing becomes "background" for no apparent
> reason. The border on the Internet Explorer becomes faded blue and I
> have to left-click my mouse on the page to bring it back to active.
> Would appreciate some help.

Hi;

Focus lost when clicking scroll bar:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;838386 In another
post you state "Using Windows XP SP" -- is that SP2 or 1/1a? What is the
version number of Mshtml.dll in your System32 folder?

When this happens, can you tell if the focus has shifted to something inside
the IE webpage you are reading versus IE itself? If that is the case, are
you using any sort of Accessibility functions or "reader" application to
assist in viewing the screen?

--

....Sky

================

Thanks for the hotfix tip. This sounds like the problem I'm having.
However, my IE window becomes inactive while no apparent actions are being
taken. Even when I'm typing in a MS Word document with the IE in the
background, the Word document will become inactive and I have to left-click
my mouse to bring the window back to active. Does this help to explain my
problem more?

I'm using XP Home edition with service pack 2 and the version of MShtml.dll
is
6.0.2900.2180.

Just wondering if you might know when MS might release a SP-2 update to deal
with this issue?

Thank you kindly.

Beetlebaum wrote:
> Thanks for the hotfix tip. This sounds like the problem I'm having.
> However, my IE window becomes inactive while no apparent actions are being
> taken. Even when I'm typing in a MS Word document with the IE in the
> background, the Word document will become inactive and I have to
> left-click my mouse to bring the window back to active. Does this help
> to explain my problem more?

The simplest/easiest/safest way to adjust this is to use TweakUI (a powertoy
from MS). The option to prevent apps from stealing focus is found in the
General section under (tada! <g>) Focus. I highly recommend you use
TweakUI, as there are many other benefits. You can find the XP version
here:

If you don't want to use TweakUI for some reason, you can set this yourself
by editing the Registry. Standard warnings/cautions apply about editing the
Registry.

Open RegEdit (click Start/Run, type "regedit" and press Enter) and go to
this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

In the right pane, look for the subkey named "ForegroundLockTimeout"

If the value is zero, right click the "ForegroundLockTimeout" subkey and
from the right-click menu select Modify. Change the value to 200000
(Decimal) which is "30D40" Hex.

While there you can also set the option for how other apps notify you that
they need the focus. Set the "ForegroundFlashCount" to zero if you want an
indefinite flash of that other program's taskbar icon, or set it to some
number of your choice.

Press the F5 function key to Refresh, then close RegEdit. Actually best if
you Restart at this point, but not strictly necessary.

HTH :)

--

....Sky

================

I noticed in PowerToys the TweakUI is listed for XP SP-1. Does it matter
that I'm
using SP-2?

Beetlebaum wrote:
> I noticed in PowerToys the TweakUI is listed for XP SP-1. Does it matter
> that I'm using SP-2?

Nope, doesn't matter. Works fine with SP2.

--

....Sky