VIA C3 & Intel 815EP (Solano-2) Chipset?

excitron

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003
I may be putting together a low-end system for someone, and I saw a MB/CPU combo at Tiger Direct that might do it. It's a Soyo 7IS2 Socket 370 Motherboard with the Intel 815EP (Solano-2) Chipset and a VIA C3 900MHz.

However, I'm wondering if that Via/Intel combo can co-exist together! Does anyone know if there would be any problems running this duo? Thanks for any info on this. Here's the link if anyone wants to check it out:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=mbm-7is2-900

tuesday630

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2002
From what I've read, that combo is a solid value with average to above average reliability.

---There may be more than one way to do it, but why would anyone want to remove the fur from a feline?---

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd spend the extra $10 and get a Celeron 950 or something. Strange, the Celeron CPU is actually cheaper, but you don't see a combo deal? Anyway, you're looking at around PII 400 performance with that combo.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

Clarentavious

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
The C3 really sucks performance wise, but actually that's the way VIA kind of wants to advertise it, a little desktop processor made of cheap components. For quiet and small PCs. The main thing about it when it was first produced was, it was the first processor ever to use the 0.13 micron process - and they made a big deal about this because it doesn't generate alot of heat (heck, for all I know, you may only need a passive copper heatsink, or an aluminum one with a very low speed fan)

But if you are building a low end system, it might serve its purpose for what you are looking for. I think it only supports the newer Slot 370 motherboards (kind of like the Tualatin processors won't work on the old ones).

If you are building a low end system, you may as well go for it.

-----

Benchmarks don't lie :)