wireless problems

hi all
I am at my wits end on this problem
I have a Netcom wireless firewall router 11g.54mbps
and a D-Link DWL_G250+ PCI adapter
The main computer is a AMD 2500 XP + with 512 memory and the second computer
is a AMD k2 450

both computers are running XP professional and the internet is Optus
broadband Motorola sb5100 ]

My problem is that I can not connect anything to anything
when I try to connect the modem to the router I lose the internet of the
main computer I get good signal strength of the second computer but I cannot
file share or do any connection with the main or internet

I have tried every config that I know and it seems that no matter what I do
things get worse
I have to do a system restore 15 times and it is totally annoying
I am running tcp/ip connections and I have NetBIOS active

any help on problem would be greatly appreciated

You've probably already done the following, but still, let's start from
scratch. Make sure you've installed TCP/ip. You really don't need NETBIOS
installed. Disable file and print sharing for now. Reboot and follow the
below listed instructions.
1. Take the netcom router and connect it to the broadband modem using an
ethernet cable. WAN port of the router to UPLINK port of the modem.
2. If available, connect the LAN adapter, not the wireless adapter card,
of the main computer and connect it to one of the LAN ports on the router
using an ethernet cable.
3. Now go to the router's menu interface by typing in the default IP
address of the router in the address bar of your internet browser. See
the user's manual for the correct IP address.
4. Once inside the router's menu, make sure that wireless and DHCP is
enabled. Disable MAC filtering for now and do not enable encryption at
this time. Our main objective is to get you connected.
5. Note the channel that your wireless card router is broadcasting from.
Now save your settings and logout of your router's menu.
6. with the second PC, run the wireless configuration that came with your
wireless adapter and make sure that the SSID and channel match. Make sure
that your router card is in wireless G mode only. Check to make sure your
adapter's IP address is similar to the traditional 192.168..... If you're
getting an IP address of 169.254.....you have a misconfiguration. You
must then release and renew your IP address from a command prompt. C:\
ipconfig /release then c:\ipconfig /renew.
7. Make sure your firewall (software) is not blocking you from getting to
the internet then try to connect to the internet. If successful, do the
same for the main pc. Afterwards, you can enable file & print sharing,
encryption, etc. I hope this helps you.

"lawrie" <lawriebel@optusnet.com.au> wrote in

> hi all
> I am at my wits end on this problem
> I have a Netcom wireless firewall router 11g.54mbps
> and a D-Link DWL_G250+ PCI adapter
> The main computer is a AMD 2500 XP + with 512 memory and the second
> computer is a AMD k2 450
>
> both computers are running XP professional and the internet is Optus
> broadband Motorola sb5100 ]
>
> My problem is that I can not connect anything to anything
> when I try to connect the modem to the router I lose the internet of

> the main computer I get good signal strength of the second computer
> but I cannot file share or do any connection with the main or internet
>
> I have tried every config that I know and it seems that no matter what
> I do things get worse
> I have to do a system restore 15 times and it is totally annoying
> I am running tcp/ip connections and I have NetBIOS active
>
> any help on problem would be greatly appreciated

Coz

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002

Does optus register your computer mac address ? It sounds like your internet
connection is registered to your pc mac address, so when you put the router
in there instead of the computer (connecting to the modem), you wont get
internet connection as the mac address has changed !

Your router probably has mac address 'spoofing', to change it to the same as
the original desktop that was connected, or phone your provider - they would
be able to , if they care to, see your connection attempts and verify this,
and then clear your mac address from your mac table.