Updating the BIOS

xyz

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
My question is regarding the BIOS updating. I have an Intel mobo (i845 GEBV2), and Intel offers two kind of utilities to update the BIOS. One 'iflash', which works from a boot diskette and the other 'Express' works from within Windows GUI. Intel recommends that Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP users should use the Express utility and for all other OS'use 'iflash'. Most people think that only safe way to update the BIOS is to use the Boot Diskette method. Which method should I adopt?

One more question,...If someone is apparently having no problems with the current BIOS revision, then should he/she still update the BIOS if new version is available? Because failing to successfully update the BIOS may even render the motherboard completely useless.

Your comments...???

<font color=red><i>"All delays are dangerous in war."</font color=red></i>

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If at all possible, use the boot disk version. I have seen BIOS flashes fail due to file corruption occurring during the download, or the BIOS update program fail to function correctly, even with fresh installations. Using the boot disk should also allow for backing up the previous BIOS on a separate, clean floppy, in case something goes wrong ... and it's really not altogether that unusual for a BIOS update to fail, especially if a setting within the BIOS must be changed before the update can be accepted (and by the way, this must be done before each flash, if the setting exists ... it's a single use feature.)

IMHO, if the current BIOS isn't causing any problems, or the update doesn't specify that it is adding important new and/or necessary features to insure the stability of the system, don't bother updating just because a newer version is available. In the computer world, the old maxim, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," ... in regards to BIOS updates, should be the rule of thumb, not the exception. This is applicable, even with WinXP, because when we are talking about a BIOS from a major manufacturer, most versions from 2001 or newer should be stable and interface correctly with the majority of modern hardware, with certain minor exceptions occasionally occurring for 48-bit LBA, SATA drives, highspeed USB 2.0, or boot support with external devices that pre-dated the BIOS, etc.

You make the call, but if the system appears to be solid ... be happy, and ignore the compulsion to update, just for the sake of updating.

Toey

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=328&s=91c282f2e5207e99b7a652ee13b3512a" target="_new"><font color=green>My System Rigs</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>Your Computer Questions Answered</font color=orange></i>

xyz

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
Thanks Toey, for the kind advice. It's really great to see you after a long time.

I think, I should refrain from updating the BIOS just to see a new version NO. as currently I'm having no problems.

And if I need to do so, I'll stick with the DOS option rather than Windows' for the reasons you mentioned.

<font color=red><i>"All delays are dangerous in war."</font color=red></i>